Skip to content

Dorn won't join rep too high I guess.

Anyway to lower my rep without murdering someone and going from 20 rep to 10? The main reason I am playing this game is for the new content. I've played the BG series many times before in the past. Would like to check out Dorn's quest.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Get caught stealing a lot.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    BG1NPC has a component that adds bards who will (for a fee) spread the word of your fearsome, loathsome ways.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/
  • VigilarkVigilark Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for the link. I'm behind on what mods are out there etc.

If I get caught stealing, don't I have to fight guards and that will really make my rep go down? I aint giving them all my gear or whatever.

Guess I could get Viconia for the drop of 2 rep, but she's real low level. I also worry my rep will go up to 20 and dorn will leave before I complete his quest. Will he leave, or not? I read different things.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If you get caught stealing you can try to bribe the guards. That attempt will lower your reputation. You don't actually have to kill the guards though.
    I've bribed guards before, (then reloaded) they said they don't take bribes. Maybe it was certain ones. Flaming fist?
    I'll probably just end up murdering some "innocent". No biggy I guess. it doesn't carry over to bg2 does it the rep? Been years since I've played this game sorry. Rep only lowers prices, or how much you get for stuff you sell?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Vigilark said:

I've bribed guards before, (then reloaded) they said they don't take bribes. Maybe it was certain ones. Flaming fist?

The Amnian Soldiers (who are policing Nashkel) will take bribes.

The Flaming Fist (who are policing Beregost and Baldur's Gate) will not take bribes. If you offer them a bribe, they will reject it and decrease your reputation by 1 point ... and then you can threaten to fight them (and they'll turn hostile), but you can run away (if you're quick) instead of actually fighting.

Actually fighting the guards (and killing them) would decrease your reputation by much more than 1 point (except for the two scripted fights with the guards, on the South Beregost Road and in Peldvale, for which your reputation is not penalised). Thus running away when they turn hostile is the way to control your reputation more precisely, one point at a time.

Tip: when you choose to reduce reputation by this method (i.e. get caught stealing, e.g. from a shop, then offer the guards a bribe when they appear, then run), make sure to do it somewhere which you won't need to re-enter - the angry guards stick around.

Further tip: sometimes but not always (it seems to me random), the angry guards will follow you out into the street, so then you've got a party of hostile guards roaming the streets of whichever-town-it-is! Unless you're playing hardcore crazy-Evil and are happy to slaughter the guards and have reputation reduced to 1, it's a dreadul PITA to cope with dodging hostile guards in the street all the time. If this happens to you, I recommend re-loading (to a position before trying to bribe the guards) and trying agian.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    To follow up on what @Gallowglass said, having a character able to become invisible helps. And the Flaming Fist are probably better as you lose no gold. And the guards, iirc, don't stick around forever, just 24 hours or so. The homes in Beregost and BG City are probably the best place to do such a thing.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Or kill Algernon for the nice cloak and a rep drop of 5 (or something like that number). It's a win win because you can now get Dorn and you also get that cloak as a bonus.

You always have the possibility to buy back some reputation in a temple or do something nice in future quests to raise the reputation again. Just don't raise it above 18 when adventuring with bad boys as Dorn.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I usually kill Drizzt after the first couple of chapters as I like Horror better than Slow Poison.
    edited July 2015
    algernon is a dead man then haha. thanks.

Don't want to kill Drizzt. carries over to bg2 I hear. plus, not sure I could kill him if I tried.
    rep dropped 10 points when killing algernon. maybe because my rep was so high 20?
    ack. having dorn dropped my rep another 2 points. it's now 8. will any good or true neutrals leave my party?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Don't drop below 6 and you should be fine. If you haven't already, do Bjornin's quest to get 1 rep back or donate to a temple. Under 6, rangers and paladins fall, so that would be unfortunate if you have either in the party.
    things worked out well. these npc quests don't seem very long though :( Possible spoiler.

The fight at the end of the bridge to BG city the end of Dorn's quest? I dropped him thinking it was.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Vigilark said:

The fight at the end of the bridge to BG city the end of Dorn's quest?

Yes, that's the end of Dorn's quest for BG1ee. Of course, there's more in BG2ee.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    And in BG 2 you will have to consider your reputation with Dorn. Especially his first quest can make a serious reputation drop. Remember to make a safe when starting it so you can do it again. You can talk your way out of the major rep drop with the right choices in conversations.

You will find out for yourself when you get that far. But remember the guy is pure evil and will prefer the evil solution all the time.