Skip to content

Help in tutorial

Ok so I got to the bit in the tutorial where i am meant to disable this trap now i know the basics of how to use the interface but i really cant see this trap it's meant to come up in red when i use the detect trap ability but i just can't see it am i just being really dense or has anyone else had this problem? how id you overcome it.

this is in BG2 if that helps from GoG

Comments

• YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Did you leave the ability on? It should pop up within 6 seconds if your skill is high enough. And it should be.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    How detecting traps works:

Activate your "Detect Traps" ability. Leave it turned on. You cannot attack or take actions except moving, or it will turn off again.

While "Detect Traps" is active, your character is looking for traps in the vicinity. Move around a bit perhaps, so you're somewhat close to the suspected trap. Then wait. It may take a while until the trap is detected, it is not instantaneous. Make sure you actually have Detect Traps skill > 0!

Once you have detected the trap it will light up in red. Now use your "Pick Lock/Disarm Trap" ability, and your mouse-cursor will change - use it on the trap, and your character will go and try to disarm the trap.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The detect traps mechanic is pretty flaky. It checks once per round (every 6 seconds), and only in a fairly limited radius. It's pretty normal for my 100% find traps thief to set traps off around dungeons, and I've played enough to have the locations memorised. The Cleric "Find Traps" spell actually seems much more reliable, it seems to check twice a round but I may be wrong.

In general - move slowly, thief first with find traps on. Stop periodically and wait.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I recommend enabling the cheat console and highlighting traps with CTRL-4. It's much quicker and easier, though it also highlights triggers as well as traps, and the triggers can't be disarmed or detected normally.