Skip to content

I'm not quite sure I understand... (BG1)

Firstly, this version I play is the originial version from 1998, which might differ from the enhanced edition this forum was made for.

It's just, I have a lvl. 5 elf mage, but what I don't understand is, how come that despite being lvl. 5, my mage isn't even capable of memorizing lvl. 4 spells... I'm sure there is a fair and square explaination for this, I just don't see. If any of you could help me with my ignorance, I would be thankful.
Tuth

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    The original AD&D notoriously abused the word 'level' to mean many different things - character level, spell level, monster level, and dungeon level among others.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html

Spell levels and character levels are very different things, and as you advance as a mage, you will gain the ability to cast more spells of different levels each day, but it will take a long time before you master the most powerful level 9 spells - near the end of the second game, Shadows of Amn, and only if you have the Throne of Bhaal expansion installed to raise the level cap. In Baldur's gate, the highest level spells your Mage will learn are 4th level, or 5th level if you have the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion.

The spell progression chart can be found at several places online, the one I refer to most often can be found at:
    http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts#Mage
    Avenger_teambgDragonKing
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, basically, a mage's character level is different from their maximum spell level. Which does seem kind of unnecessarily confusion, but that's D&D rules for you. In general, you gain access to a new spell level about every 2 character levels.
  • magnus75damkiermagnus75damkier Member Posts: 7
    Thank you all very much for the replies. I knew D&D rules where complicated, but I didn't have the slightest idea that this type of "spell leveling" was present in their games... I really appreciate you helping me.

BTW, funny little comic.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Also, be glad that you can't cast higher level spells that soon - certain spells are quite destructive . 6_6