Skip to content

[Item] Dagger of Venom still listed with "small sword" proficiency for BG2

sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
edited November 2012 in Fixed
Even though it's not obtainable in BG2 without utilizing the pause-dump items bug as soon as the game begins, it still exists in the item code. It is the only item to my knowledge which never received a specific proficiency point for the updated handling of such in the BG2 engine. Couldn't even utilize it properly with BGtutu.

It's the best dagger for BG1 so I hope this gets fixed for BG:EE.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    you answered your own question, it isn't an item meant to be used in BG2, therefore, that's the reason it isn't coded for BG2.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    kamuizin said:

you answered your own question, it isn't an item meant to be used in BG2, therefore, that's the reason it isn't coded for BG2.

But he mentioned Tutu. Does the dagger work correctly in BG1 when playing in BG2 code (BG:EE) ?

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Kamuizin:

The item is still in BG2, as is every single item from BG1. There's a few items from BG1 you can't obtain outside of dropping it from your inventory as soon as you start the game using the pause glitch, but they were still properly re-done for the BG2 engine. (Bala's Axe, Dagger +2 Longtooth, Spider's Bane, etc)

If they are just copying the item code directly over from BG2, they'll need to redo the Dagger of Venom to be usable with Dagger proficiency.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    From Near Infinity's intrusion into BGEE:

MISC75- Dagger of Venom
    Category- Daggers (16)
    Equipped appearance- DD - Dagger
    Weapon proficiency- PROFICIENCYDAGGER - 96
    Icon- IDAGG03.BAM
    Ground icon- GDAGG01.BAM
    Description image- CDAGG03.BAM
    Damage type- Piercing (1)

Looks like a dagger. Moves like a dagger. Quacks like a dagger. ;-)
    @Bhryaen: Awesome. Glad to hear it.

Time to roll an assassin and double poison things ~~
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    by the way, will the game work the cold iron/alchemical silver kinds of weapons now? They exist in the game codes if i'm not wrong, they're just not used.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    If only my thief could cast Greater Malison...

Even though it's not obtainable in BG2 without utilizing the pause-dump items bug as soon as the game begins, it still exists in the item code. It is the only item to my knowledge which never received a specific proficiency point for the updated handling of such in the BG2 engine. Couldn't even utilize it properly with BGtutu.

It's the best dagger for BG1 so I hope this gets fixed for BG:EE.

Bhryaen said:

From Near Infinity's intrusion into BGEE:

MISC75- Dagger of Venom
    Category- Daggers (16)
    Equipped appearance- DD - Dagger
    Weapon proficiency- PROFICIENCYDAGGER - 96
    Icon- IDAGG03.BAM
    Ground icon- GDAGG01.BAM
    Description image- CDAGG03.BAM
    Damage type- Piercing (1)

Looks like a dagger. Moves like a dagger. Quacks like a dagger. ;-)

According to a thread on another forum, the proficiency is properly set to dagger, as pointed out here, but the in game description is in error by saying "Short Sword".

@bigdogchris
    The description wouldn't prevent it working like a dagger. Setting Category or Weapon proficiency to Short Sword would, however. That said, I'll add these...

General name- Dagger
    Identified name- Dagger of Venom

Plus I can CLUA it in and look at it...

I just don't like that it's called MISC75 when it could be DAGG13 or something...

According to a thread on another forum, the proficiency is properly set to dagger, as pointed out here, but the in game description is in error by saying "Short Sword".

Pretty sure I tested it in BGtutu and it was broken. It has been awhile, though, and the game isn't installed currently.

Either way, if it says "Small Sword" in the description, that's still an error worth mentioning. :V
    edited September 2012
    @sandmanCCL Absolutely!

*edit*
    Just verified in BGT that Dagger of Venom's item description says 'Short Sword" proficiency.

The game properties may be correct but the in game description needs to be fixed.

Thanks!

Post edited by bigdogchris on
    AHhhh, yes- the description remains in the cauldron to be fixed... along with a very large number of other BG1 item descriptions sporting such silliness as "Spiked Weapon" and "Large Sword" and such in their description... Should be ok by release... :-)
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    confirmed fixed.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited November 2012
    kamuizin said:

by the way, will the game work the cold iron/alchemical silver kinds of weapons now? They exist in the game codes if i'm not wrong, they're just not used.

@kamuizin

Only noticed this now, but those weapons are in TotSC, they're the only ones that can actually hit Loup Garou on werewolf island.