OK, checking in here because I think this is where the folks currently expanding the game behind-the-scenes may be found more easily
I am looking for information on the simplest way (from an end-user standpoint) of working with a "continuous" NPC moving from BG:EE > Dragonspear > BG2:EE
* BG:EE/BG2:EE game only. No backwards compatibility necessary. Clean slate on improved engine.
* WeiDU distribution.
* Not dependent on EET or an expanded EET that might include Dragonspear
* Trying to avoid lots of user manipulation
What needs to be transferred:
* .cre information (as developed by player) from the end of BG:EE content into BG:EE SoDr and/or BG2:EE, and BG:EE SoDr into BG2:EE
* assorted variables set in the game with the same treatment.
Things done in current mods:
* custom item on BG content added to BG2 at installation that prompts the NPC to discuss the prior relationship and set vars; .cre is non-continuous (Kivan, Gavin, et. al)
* BGT (and I assume EET) transfer of .cre to an area, then placing them in the next game (assumes both games are installed using an outside mod to link content)
Current ideas (but still can't get around the transfer of the .cre intact with different mod loadouts)
* run a weidu-based "information capture" tool that works on a savegame, extracting specific variables and the existing .cre, and then having the user manually drop the resulting information into the distribution folder of the next game - if no such file exists, assume a clean slate and install from regular files. PROBLEM: requires some advanced knowledge on the user's part
* Determine a way to run an outside tool from *within* the .cre_assigned.bcs or area.bcs that would quietly do the equivalent of APPEND ~myoutsidefile~ ~OUTER SET mymovedvariable = value~ - then ignore .cre continuity and distribule a L1 NPC with experience so that the player can rebuild.
Current pie-in-the-sky idea is to have a single NPC mod that can be installed on BG:EE with or without Neera/Rasaad/Dorn/Hexxat, same package on BG:EE SoDr, same package on BG2:EE. User would be able to easily take the same party with this mod-added NPC continuously from game to game without a ton of work (basically, no more work than they would have to do to have thier PC get passed between games.
(Final question - sorry - what is BG:EE/BG2:EE using to define the equivalent of !Global("endofbg1","GLOBAL",2) and stopping content designed for BG:EE from playing on BG2:EE ?)