Skip to content

Thinking of buying

I'm thinking of buying the EE versions of BG1&2. Are they worth buying? Are they real buggy?

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I'm not an expert on the current bug situation, but the games are golden. As far as I know bugs are not an issue at least for Windows.
  • LeloLelo Member Posts: 60
    I thought maybe I'd play the originals and then the EE versions. I haven't played the originals since they first came out and I played them until the disc were unplayable.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    :cookie: for you!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    There was a problem with bugginess when the EEs first came out, but they've done a lot of work fixing and patching. The games are now pretty stable (at least on Windows, I've no experience of using them on other platforms), and perform pretty much as advertised. Their more recent release (IWDee) had a much smoother start, so I think those earlier QA problems are now behind them.

I wouldn't now bother with the original games. The EEs have added to the content, and greatly improved the interface, and fixed numerous original bugs, and smartened up many details. I couldn't now go back to the originals, the EEs are now the "real BG".
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Also almost all of the most famous mods are now compatible with the EE editions, and new mods keep coming! :smiley:
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I say skip the originals, and just get the EE versions. You won't be missing out on anything, besides tiny resolutions, the lack of the tab function in BG1 and the BG1's incredible slow walking speeds. The EE versions don't take anything away from the game, they just add some stuff.

I say skip the originals, and just get the EE versions. You won't be missing out on anything, besides tiny resolutions, the lack of the tab function in BG1 and the BG1's incredible slow walking speeds. The EE versions don't take anything away from the game, they just add some stuff.

Definitely skip the originals (especially true with BG1) and go for the EE version.
  • DemaniusDemanius Member Posts: 51
    Welcome buddy

The EE's are worth it. On PC it's great, haven't tried it on other platforms.
    Okay, that makes my decision easier. I'll get the EEs.
    What are the main differences between the originals and the EE version?
    The biggest differences that come to mind are that the EE versions have a better user interface and higher resolution support and more importantly they have a bunch of new NPCs with their own backround stories and quests.
    Looks like I'll be buying t hem!
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    You wont be disappointed. These games are awesome. I cant give them enough praise.
    I hope so because I loved the original BG 1&2.