Skip to content

Who Did You Side With and Why?

g314g314 Member Posts: 201
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
In BG2 you must make a choice to get to Spellhold: either you side with the Shadow Thieves or Bodhi. I'm sure most of you tried both ways, but I'm curious to know what was your favorite choice.

My usual choice is Shadow Thieves. I despise these murderers and cutthroats, and sometimes I would have preferred to side with Bodhi just to get rid of both of them, but I always had regrets about killing Brus' uncle, so I usually take this way.
  1. Who Did You Side With and Why?124 votes
    1. Shadow Thieves
      83.87%
    2. Bodhi
      16.13%
Post edited by g314 on

Comments

• cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2012
    Shadow thieves were just so much more fun to me. I love the whole Thieves Guild idea. A network of thieves with their own base of operation and everything. Hell yeah. Plus if your main character is a thief can't you take over for them after you kill Mae'Var? (not sure if i spelled that right). Plus there is a lot of good loot through them too. Idk. Maybe Bodhi is fun but she seems a tad bit too hardcore for my taste.
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    Thieves guild is the lesser of two evils.
    The_New_RomanceRedGuard
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I've only sided once with Bodhi. Her side is cooler but killing vampires is fun.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Shadow thieves to get the amulet of vocalisation earler duh :)
    Jarlaxle
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I usually pick the Shadow Thieves as I'm usually playing a good guy. Though it's really the lesser of two evils there, I'm sure that there are many Paladin player characters who aren't happy with the situation regardless. Not that I'm complaining really, I loved the story in BG2 and those portions of the game.

I don't mind the storyline of being forced with someone who you would normally consider an enemy or at least someone you would never normally trust (it's always a good angle), but I have to wonder how hard it is for people trying to roleplay a character like a Paladin or some other 'pur of heart' good aligned character and still remain true to the character they are playing.
    Jean_Luc
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    I'm an evil bastard
    Fake_SketchMilliea
  • MetaSiegMetaSieg Member Posts: 26
    I've always found working with the thieves more fun than working with Bodhi.
    Plus vampires and their stupid level drain really ticks me off so I'll take any opportunity to kill them I get.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2012
    ajwz said:

Shadow thieves to get the amulet of vocalisation earler duh :)

I think you mean the amulet of power?

Bodhi is the best way to go. Her betrayal makes killing her all the more worthwhile. Especially if you don't have Imoen in your party and you really only need her dead to ensure you can gain access to Suldanesselar.
    Fake_Sketch
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Why choose the lesser evil?

And do I need a reason to side with such an blood thristy, attractive undead lass? I think not!
    elminsterFake_SketchTalvraeAnton
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Shadow Thieves, I don't like vampires.
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    I like playing as a Thief because there are no good ones in BG2. So that leaves me little choice in who I pick. >.<
    SwordsNotWords
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    Shadow Thieves because they're the lesser of the two evils.
  • skrissakskrissak Member Posts: 24
    bodhi sucks ;)
    Scofield
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Let's face it -both their leaders are gentlemen, or gentlewomen as the case may be with Bodhi. They don't treat you badly, nor they disrespect you which is something that rarely happens in such stories (see the a-hole elves once you exit the underdark)

If I had to choose - shadow thieves, simply because living beings have a tendency to screw things up less than undead do. I don't like the city being operated by vampires, it's already a pain in the arse with the Amnish guards and Cowled wizards!

Besides, level drain sucks - taking care of vampires once and for all... removes that dilemma!
    g314
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Let's face it -both their leaders are gentlemen, or gentlewomen as the case may be with Bodhi. They don't treat you badly, nor they disrespect you which is something that rarely happens in such stories (see the a-hole elves once you exit the underdark)

If I had to choose - shadow thieves, simply because living beings have a tendency to screw things up less than undead do. I don't like the city being operated by vampires, it's already a pain in the arse with the Amnish guards and Cowled wizards!

Besides, level drain sucks - taking care of vampires once and for all... removes that dilemma!

Isn't there a type of shadow that can also give you level drain?
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    Playing a Paladin means you back the living over the dead, no matter what the living do for a day (or night) job - the living can always redeem themselves or be brought to justice later...
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited September 2012
    elminster said:

Isn't there a type of shadow that can also give you level drain?

You mean the crimson one? PFFFFT, DETAILS! >.<
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I despise both of them, and if it were up to me, I'd let them tear one another apart; but the moment their civil war draws innocent life in, I'd bring their attention the Cowled Wizards and Athkatlan Guard myself.

Anyhow, I chose the Shadow Thieves. A choice was mandatory, and they were by far the lesser of two evils.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Not much of a choice when PC's a thief.
    Anton
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    Unlike Bodhi, Aran seemed to have some (albeit slightly twisted) code of honor.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Jared4242 said:

Unlike Bodhi, Aran seemed to have some (albeit slightly twisted) code of honor.

That much is true, at least. Aran is not your typical sinister assassin who would happily give anyone a knife in the back if it benefits him in the slightest.

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Siding with Bodhi was simple pragmatism - at that point in the game my party couldn't adequately defend itself from vampires and level-draining. Also, the end result was the destruction of both groups, which I found rather fitting. :)
  • MarkosMarkos Member Posts: 30
    Always sided with Shadow Thieves, as they were also enemies of Irenicus. Plus Aran Linvail is kind of cool ;)
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    I get too into it and have to side with the thieves. My conscience and do gooder friends always push me down that road. Plus I hate the crooked guards and corrupt wizards. The city is better off under the protection of the shadow thieves.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    What can I say, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse :).
    JK, I actually sided with them before I ever saw Bodhi the first time, and since I've just gone with the shadow thieves just because it was just what I already did before. Someday I'll make an evil game and try Bodhi's way.
    The_New_Romance
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    I was sucked in by Aran's charisma.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    Shadow Thieves. I didn't even know it was an option until after I beat the game. Lol. All I could think was, "...Who would side with that vampire bitch?"
    Anduine
  • DaekeeperDaekeeper Member Posts: 12
    I only recently sided with Bodhi for the first time, and wasn't too thrilled. I felt siding with the Shadow Thieves was more fun as a whole (plus it fits my usually good aligned party a bit more, obviously).
  • neokarnyneokarny Member Posts: 39
    I've tried Bodhi, but I usually go with the Shadow Thieves for some reason. I'm not sure why.
  • DelinomDelinom Member Posts: 46
    Over the years I've sided with both of them more than once. When I first played I sided with Shadow Thieves just because it seemed like the more "standard", easier option. But I remember that being a nice hook point that got me into BG2's plot right away.

Damn everything why RPG games can't have good storylines nowadays?