Skip to content

Have you ever slipped on a banana skin?

GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
It is a classic comedy trope, but do you know anyone who has ever actually done this, or done it yourself?

I was caught by surprise a few years ago now, and I will say that the trope is well informed - that banana looks innocent, but treat on the skin (right way around) and there is really no friction, worse than trying to walk on ice.

However, I don't know of anyone else who has been so careless - am I alone, the rest of the world duly warned by a century or more of this trope?

Are there any other widely repeated tropes that require experimental verification?

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    I don't remember slipping on one. Although I could have landed on my head and damaged my memory of the event.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    No banana skin slips for me but I have stepped on a garden rake and have it slam into my face. That felt rather stupid.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I did slip on one, but I recovered before I fell. One of my coworkers DID fall on the same skin, though, two minutes later.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    No, I've slipped on a grape, though. As in the juice that squirted out when I stepped on it...
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I have never had that happen to me, or seen it happen to anyone else. Although I have seen my friend slip on an icy sidewalk, and his feet did flip up into the air and he landed on his back in classic comedic fashion.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    It never happened to me nor to anyone else I know.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Mythbusters tested it and declared it a busted myth - unless you put down hundreds of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZRq3XxCZXo
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Surprisingly, no o.o
    And I come from a town where my family name was made synonymous with clumsiness.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Mythbusters tested it and declared it a busted myth - unless you put down hundreds of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZRq3XxCZXo

I could see it being plausible but it would depend on the surface the banana is on. Based on that short video it looks like when they tested it (when it came to just testing it with the one banana) on concrete. I could see it being easier to slip on say a tile floor.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    :nod: or Linoleum.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Not yet.
    But if on the steps then it could.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    The mind is a fuzzy thing. At least, my mind is. I have a vague recollection of recovering my stance from halfway slipping over a banana, but I'm not sure if it actually happened or if it was a dream. Sometimes I remember things, that I realize must have been dreams instead of reality. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference.

*Son_of_Imoen casts Summon Veering Off-topic About 'Remembering dreams as if they were real'
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Well, when I was around 8 years old I tried to do this with a friend, and yes, I did slip.
    Wilbur said:

No banana skin slips for me but I have stepped on a garden rake and have it slam into my face. That felt rather stupid.

Kinda reminds me when I had a rake next to my head, gave it a turn it hit my head with it
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I was think of that mythbusters episode as well, @BelgarathMTH though I think it might be more plausible on tile. While it would be a comedy trope... Is beyond me. You'd think I'd be spilled oil or something.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited July 2015

The mind is a fuzzy thing. At least, my mind is. I have a vague recollection of recovering my stance from halfway slipping over a banana, but I'm not sure if it actually happened or if it was a dream. Sometimes I remember things, that I realize must have been dreams instead of reality. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference.

Hey, sometimes that happens to me too. It's like free literature inside my own mind =p Edit: if you realise it's just a dream, of course.