Skip to content

[(BG1) RESTORATION REQUEST] Noble and Noblewoman in Winthrop's Inn) (0813)

2»

Comments

• cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    Most likely, this has to do with 171 GiveGoldForce(), which gives gold regardless of what the .cre has set as a money variable. I'll take a look.

The fix would be to set the .cre to have only 20gp, and use GivePartyGold(I:Amount*), which would result in him saying the same line on successive charms but only giving the gold once.

Unfortunately, adding a second charmed dialog that accounts for the lack of gold after the first time is probably a no-go. We don't want to start writing literally hundreds of lines of new text that folks upstream would likely *not* approve - even though it is going to result in some oddities like this.

If it helps reconcile the oddity, I assume that charm has a temporary amnesia effect. That makes story sense, and lets us not have 4 separate charmed dialogs for each bit player interacted with. Until someone writes an "Ultimate Charmed Dialog" mod, that is :)
    edited September 2012
    @Balquo, yep - GiveGoldForce(20), state 7, weight #0.

@mister_ennui, thanks for the confirmation of vBG behavior - you saved me poking at the vBG files :)

And CamDawg's fix was changed, it looks like, but works just as well - instead of a local var, the switch was to !StateCheck(Myself,STATE_CHARMED), so basically NOBW4 has the equivalent of True() - just a binary one, charmed vs not_charmed.

Two ways to fix the gold exploit. Either this one, giving the money the first time but repeating the dialog each time charmed:

in .tp2:

COPY_EXISTING ~NOBL4.CRE~ ~override~
    WRITE_LONG 0x1c 20 // Gold
    END
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

in .d:
    ALTER_TRANS NOBL4 BEGIN 7 END BEGIN 0 END BEGIN "ACTION" ~GivePartyGold(20)~ END
    or the more slippery slope one, adding a condition to the charmed state and then adding a second charmed dialog to play after the first one. I'm not going to draft that one up, though, unless there is an overwhelming need seen.

Edit: sorry. Still not used to flagging other folks to implement the fixes - my bad. @SethDavis, @Coriander (please pass on to whomever is supposed to get this (:) )
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Reiterating name dropping for @cmorgan because they don't notify the recipient when edited in.
    @SethDavis @Coriander
    cmorgan
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited September 2012
    You could probably just add something like this
    ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~nobl4~ BEGIN 7 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("Nobl4GoldGiven","GLOBAL",1)~
    ADD_STATE_TRIGGER ~nobl4~ 7 ~Global("Nobl4GoldGiven","GLOBAL",0)~
    Then the second time you talk to him he will speak state 8 or 9. Which may work better than giving him a new dialogue?
    cmorgan
    edited September 2012
    @Balquo - yes, if flagging of charmed dialogs discussion doesn't get implemented in a way that would change the evaluation behavior. Good fix, if other stuff doesn't change - you just skip the charmed dialog. Let's see what the devs say, and if so, you just saved me a bunch of time on the charmed state evaluations. The repeated givig of quest rewards is bogging my brain down.

Suggest changing "GoldGiven" to "Nobl4GoldGiven" to make sure it doesn't hit other vars.

Darned good idea. Makes me wish I had thought of it :D
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2012
    Tanthalas said:

@cmorgan

Unfortunately, there's still that BG2 problem where you can't talk to charmed creatures.

Sorry for being a little off-topic but this should be fixed or added as a fix as I'm pretty sure the BG2Fixpack fixes this. My last play through of BG2 with BG2fixpack v9 and UB v19 was the first time we charmed Glacius in De'Arnise Hold and successfully talked to him, thus not needing to kill him. So if its still a bug in EE then wow lol

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Demoss said:

Tanthalas said:

@cmorgan

Unfortunately, there's still that BG2 problem where you can't talk to charmed creatures.

Sorry for being a little off-topic but this should be fixed or added as a fix as I'm pretty sure the BG2Fixpack fixes this. My last play through of BG2 with BG2fixpack v9 and UB v19 was the first time we charmed Glacius in De'Arnise Hold and successfully talked to him, thus not needing to kill him. So if its still a bug in EE then wow lol

Nah, the BG2 devs had to hack around it too, they just did it wrong. Glaicus is scripted so that if he ever gets into a charmed state he dispels the charm, goes neutral, and then talks to the party. It failed because they were casting a dispel in such a way that it almost always failed.
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    Oh xD

So i guess Glaicus doesn't speak for that other issue then.