Skip to content

Voghlin in BG2 *BP2 Spoilers*

I remember somewhere that Beamdog said that SoD NPCs could be taken to BG2 if feedbacks are positive or something to that effect.

But isn't SoD supposed to be pre-BP2, or am I missing something? If he does get carried over, wouldn't that make BP2 "non-canon"? I like BP2, but Voghlin and Minsc as part of my entourage, particularly as my "bouncers", seems like a really interesting idea (too early to tell I know, but we already know Voghlin to some extent through BP2). My point being, is Voghlin in BP2 and Voghlin in BG2 really irreconcilable?

Comments

• tokarev748tokarev748 Member Posts: 27
    Voghlin appears at Neera's TOB quest,BP2 take place after TOB,so whats the problem?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @tokarev748 Actually there are several problems with BP2 storywise, the most noticeable being those two very powerful Bhaalspawn (Enegar more than the other), because BP2 events cannot occur pre-ToB because you go there with Neera and meet Dennaton, Voghiln, Lea, Feldrak and some more of BP2 members, but they cannot occur after ToB because Charname needs all the essence (or almost all of it) of Bhaal, and it's evident that a Bhaalspawn able to shapechange into the Ravager and another into the Slayer must hold a fair share of Bhaal essence (Enegar is arguably more powerful than each of the Five).
    BP2 cannot be considered cannon at the moment, though a quest involving Voghiln in ToB could make it a little closer to matching the story.
    GrumYupImMadBro
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Arunsun said:

@tokarev748 Actually there are several problems with BP2 storywise, the most noticeable being those two very powerful Bhaalspawn (Enegar more than the other), because BP2 events cannot occur pre-ToB because you go there with Neera and meet Dennaton, Voghiln, Lea, Feldrak and some more of BP2 members, but they cannot occur after ToB because Charname needs all the essence (or almost all of it) of Bhaal, and it's evident that a Bhaalspawn able to shapechange into the Ravager and another into the Slayer must hold a fair share of Bhaal essence (Enegar is arguably more powerful than each of the Five).
    BP2 cannot be considered cannon at the moment, though a quest involving Voghiln in ToB could make it a little closer to matching the story.

There doesn't have to be a complete seperation between ToB and BP2. They could take place reasonably at the same time. Like Enegar being defeated in the pits after CHARNAME visits there with Neera, but before the end of ToB. And the end of BP2 could happen after the end of ToB. It's just a question of timing.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The official line was always that BP2 happened simultaneously with BG2.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Fardragon said:

Wasn't that the reason given as to why Baeloth couldn't be a party member in BG2?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Yes.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    That's what happens when one still hasn't played BG2EE (haven't had the time to play yet). But the bottomline is, storywise, it is possible to have Voghlin in BG2? Pre-ToB only, ToB only, or for the entire BG2? What's the consensus for those who have played the entire series?
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    Doesn't Voghiln get his "title" - 'Vast' - only in BP2?
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @Skydog I believe he does. Dennaton calls him Voghiln the Vast, he answers "The vast? I ve never used such a nickname"
    cmk24JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I would like to point out that Andrew Foley mentions possible (if the feedback is excellent) bringing only Corwin, Glint, and M'Khiin over to BG2EE, not Voghlin.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/655131/#Comment_655131
    Illustair
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Probably because Voghiln is already in BG2EE :)
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Oh that settles it then. Thanks. I haven't had the time to make a complete playthrough to know for myself. Now I know.
    JuliusBorisov
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    shawne said:

Fardragon said:

Wasn't that the reason given as to why Baeloth couldn't be a party member in BG2?
    True... So are we to expect a Black Pits 3 then? I'm assuming Siege of Dragonspear will answer some questions about Baeloth and Voghiln the Vast
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Vasculio said:

shawne said:

I'm assuming Siege of Dragonspear will answer some questions about Baeloth and Voghiln the Vast

Sure, you will learn what Baeloth did between his Black Pit enterprises.
    And how Voghiln was called before he became the Vast.
    Also, possibly, how Baeloth got to know Voghiln.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    We really need a recruitable Skald I'm BG 2. I hate Blades
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    This just popped into my mind... If Voghiln is know as the Vast in SoD. Then clearly SoD it takes place right after BP2. So maybe some of BP is being retcon? Idk what do you guys think?
    Vasculio said:

This just popped into my mind... If Voghiln is know as the Vast in SoD. Then clearly SoD it takes place right after BP2. So maybe some of BP is being retcon? Idk what do you guys think?

Baeloth is a party member in SoD (which continues on from his appearance in BG:EE), so he hasn't gone to Thay yet. That would place the game before BP2.

If continuity is a concern, it's more likely they'll just delete Voghiln's line in BP2 about how he was never called "The Vast" before.
    JuliusBorisovcmk24Vasculio
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    shawne said:

Vasculio said:

Baeloth is a party member in SoD (which continues on from his appearance in BG:EE), so he hasn't gone to Thay yet. That would place the game before BP2.

If continuity is a concern, it's more likely they'll just delete Voghiln's line in BP2 about how he was never called "The Vast" before.
    Or leave it, because he doesn't like the nickname and was hoping to get rid of it.
    In context, the BP2 scene makes it clear that Dennaton is the originator of the nickname, to which Voghiln replies "I have never used such a nickname!" Not a lot of ambiguity there.
    Vasculio
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Unless he was lying.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    image 2 ?
    What is that, not big picture [mod] ?
    JuliusBorisov
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    @Yamcha Black Pits 2. It's an addon campaign from Beamdog in BG2:EE.