Skip to content

2D or 3D??

2»

Comments

• LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    something akin to sc2 or diablo 3 would be fine
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2012
    I kindda like the Jagged Alliance Crossfire ..

and

http://www.pcgamersworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/JA_Crossfire_01.jpg
    Post edited by mch202 on
    FredjoKhamill
  • pablomnipablomni Member Posts: 94
    Not bad Jagged Alliance Crossfire, but I prefer something better graphics BG3. The isometric view is fine for me.
  • CharlyCharly Member Posts: 5
    I wonder how much budget a BG3 would have?

I only ask because I get the impression that Beamdog is quite a small outfit, and a huge 3d roleplaying game with amazing detail going into both the characters and the environments that would justify a 3D game, seems unlikely from a small software house, when you are expecting a game to give you over 100 hours of gametime.

Better to take the game engine that already exists, draw new backgrounds and scan them in to the game. Surely thats the only game we are likely to see anyway (not that I am complaining. DAO was boring and DA2 was an abomination, mainly due to the game engine).
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Too much character detail always creates a huge problem and that is the face design, it's very important to make the faces look believable and at the same time appease the majority of the players by not messing up the lore with some artificially handsome or ugly-ass faces. The 2d portraits of important NPCs and that of the player work like a discreet illustration in a book, that only boosts up your fantasy instead of forcing you all the details. And a 2d painted areas work very much in a similar way.
    Moomintroll
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I'm not too familiar with what is what in the terminology, but I like the way The Temple of Elemental Evil and Arcanum look: you get the same fixed camera perspective, and the games show an amazing amount of details (unlike NWN for example), every detail handpicked instead of generated by an engine, but it looks more vivid than BG, less flat. Is that what '3D in isometric view' is like? If so, I like it. Just like Company of Heroes: amazing detail, but a fixed view.
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    I prefer it kept as 2D instead of 3D is because I like how the graphics are looking from back in 1998 and make it look better and keep the 2D field.... change the color to make it enacted edition etc...
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited September 2012
    My real worry is that if it's 3D they will just automatically get the game wrong. I'm looking at you NWN!
    I know the above doesn't make much sense, but BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2 I still play when I can. NWN, NWN2 I don't.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    If would be done nicely?...why not. Maybe similar to homm6, that you could zoom in/out, but no camera rotation. Well...im not sure really:/
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    Guys you do realize that 2d and 3d only differ in the amount of work needed to be done, right? Look at this, its 2d game.
    Post edited by Roller12 on
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    To rasterise or note to rasterise, that is the question,
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The Neverwinter Nights and Fables of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of disappointing games developers,
  • pablomnipablomni Member Posts: 94

I'm not too familiar with what is what in the terminology, but I like the way The Temple of Elemental Evil and Arcanum look: you get the same fixed camera perspective, and the games show an amazing amount of details (unlike NWN for example), every detail handpicked instead of generated by an engine, but it looks more vivid than BG, less flat. Is that what '3D in isometric view' is like? If so, I like it. Just like Company of Heroes: amazing detail, but a fixed view.

The isometric view is one where you see from above, that is, you have a broad and comprehensive view of what is happening in the game, there are many examples of it as being the same BGS, Diablo, Torchlight, COMMANDS, ETC, ETC.
    Personally I think the view is always the recommended ismoetrica for this game, it may be 3D or not, that would be ideal personally, but I would like to see a BG with the same gameplay, rules and history but brought to graphics now respecting the isometric view.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    For the future Beamdog title, whether it's BG3 or otherwise, I hope that they use fully rendered 3D environments but with a fixed camera. As much as I like the Infinity Engine backgrounds and what Obsidian is doing with Project Eternity, I would very much like a true 3D world with the fixed 3/4 perspective camera. I think it would be able to add so much more immersion in lighting and water effects, and more.