Skip to content

Thief detect illusion skill

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
Like it says; how does this work? I don't see any obvious command to do this, so I have been assuming it was a passive skill, but perhaps I am wrong. Is it perhaps tied in with the detect traps action, or possibly yet another command?

I ask this because I am starting the Sendai's lair scenario, and my thief with detect illusion skill of 110 walked right past that smug woodcutter without noticing a damned thing. But she wasn't actively detecting traps either.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Use the Detect Traps button. It detects traps as well as detects illusions.

The skill is a percentile chance. At 100, you have a 100% chance of dispelling all enemy illusions. Having 110 is sufficient.

Also, the woodcutter area doesn't actually have any illusions around, not according to the game engine. The illusions you can dispel are Illusion spells, like Invisibility and Mirror Image. You can also reveal hidden thieves.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    The woodcutter himself is an illusion; or rather he's a drow disguised by an illusion. Not to mention the stupid animals nearby. I would have expected a detect illusion to reveal that. On the other hand, Keldorn's true sight didn't work either. Probably we just aren't meant to find them out until later.

So choosing detect traps is the command to activate this skill then? I usually have this active but for some reason I wasn't using it right then. OK, thanks. I'm past that point but I will probably go back and try again just to confirm whether those two things work in that scenario if you give it more time.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    I went back, and neither true sight nor detect traps/illusions reveal anything amiss about the woodcutter or his animal buddies.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2015
    Powerful drow magics prevent you from learning the truth.

But in truth like the circus tent (Aerie/Quayle) and Ajantis's group (the ones made to look like monsters) it wasn't something that was programmed in.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited July 2015
    It's like how Pick Lock can't open doors that require a key. Just a game limitation. Sometimes annoying and immersion-breaking, but you have to draw lines somewhere.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Who's to say they weren't actually polymorphed rather than being illusions?
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    It works at 100% rate if you have 100 Detect Illusions, however, it's rather wonky.
    At times you'll instantly dispel as soon as you click the icons, other times it takes a while for it to kick in.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Just like trap detection, a rogue's illusion detection only occurs once per round. Beginning of the round? End of the round? Who knows, but if you miss it you'll need to keep detecting until the next check interval.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Just to add, you can click attack and then find traps and you'll autoattack while still detecting illusions. You don't have to just sit around waiting for the detect illusions check.