Skip to content

FPS slider in game options and engine enhancements related to it

switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
edited July 2015 in Feature Requests
What I hope for is a slider to change in-game FPS from 30 up to 60 via options and better integration of not default game speeds in the engine.

Back in the day it was necessary to tweak options via configuration executable, so the option for FPS was pretty noticeable for everybody. But now that it has been moved to INI it's something that only people aware of it will look for. I think most people new to the series have no idea about differences.

Here is a description of the tweak that aims to make higher FPS settings less annoying for players (from my unreleased EET Tweaks mod):

Adjust FPS and fix audio skipping in cutscenes

Compatibility: BG2, Tutu, BGT, CA, IWD-in-BG2, BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, EET

Seriously who still plays at default 30 FPS these days? I've been playing on higher frame rates even in 1998 and just can't stand sloppy gameplay on default settings. This game has PAUSE button for a reason. You are not in any combat disadvantage when going with higher FPS. The only problem with adjusting FPS is annoying audio skipping in some cutscenes. This tweak should automatically fix most of such problems in vanilla Bioware content (just a guess based on what I've already tested). Of course if you are using non English voices that are longer than original ones (in such cases they are usually also problematic even on 30 FPS) than this tweak may be a little less effective, but you should still notice major improvements. Available options:

Unhide/Collapse details

- 60 FPS
- 45 FPS
- Custom value (type in integer value up to 60)

This tweak adjusts globally each Wait and SmallWait BCS action but only 1 line after DisplayStringX action is used, so it shouldn't really slow down cutscenes other than fixing the audio skipping problem. It also affects mods, but keep in mind that modders are often not following vanilla BG2 coding standards and either depends the delay on animation length or place delay timers not directly after the speech action is used, which currently won't be taken into account. This unfortunately is also true for content added by Beamdog, such as Black Pits adventure, where you will still experience audio problems.
What I would like to see is a way to make this tweak obsolete:
- in-game slider for changing FPS
- editing how engine shows above head messages - higher FPS should not change how long cutscene text is being shown on screen
- engine should automatically wait before currently playing voice track is finished instead of always relaying on Wait timers.

Or any other implementation that would reliably fix cutscenes on higher FPS settings. The fact that this option was always there (even in BG1, first thing that you see after opening config) is a proof that original developers were aware about the sloppy gameplay and that higher settings may be valuable for people. In my opinion Enhanced Editions should try to integrate it better in engine instead of leaving it as an obscure setting within INI file.

I think that promoting the gameplay at default speed is alienating a huge number of modern players that see a gameplay video on youtube and think that it is slow and boring. Or maybe it's just me... Recently I viewed a "let's play" video and was shocked how bad it looked at default game speed. If I wasn't aware that this is adjustable I wouldn't even consider buying the game (as a hypothetical clueless gamer that is).
Post edited by swit on

Comments

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Yeup. Agree that this is important and should be modified.