Skip to content

Change troll death mechanics

ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
The way trolls die has always been very clumsy in BG2.
- Because the script making them go down is so bad, you usually have to stop attacking them when you *think* you've done enough damage.
- Even when you've done enough damage, they can regenerate a hit point (I think this is what's happening) and survive. I've had trolls stay standing after a ctrl+y.
- They often sneak in some attacks before falling over, even if you ctrl+y a troll it can get a hit in before it falls.

For this reason, I don't find fighting trolls fun at all and as you may have guessed, I ctrl+y a lot of them as a result. I doubt anything will ever be changed, but I personally think it would be better if trolls died normally like everything else, but perhaps make them resistance to everything but acid and fire.

Comments

• TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    I always feel something wrong about trolls at BG2... it seems when you fighting them legally you must make 200-300 hp damage or something before they fall on the ground to ready-to-grill state - exactly because of poor scripting. If this wasn't fixed at BG2EE - well, that's a shame :(
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    I must agree.
    That script is terrible.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    They should just give trolls something like 50% physical damage resistance, but make them doubly vulnerable to fire and acid. There's nothing more jarring than having your suspension of disbelief broken when you have to call off your party and let the troll 'breathe' for a split second so its script can fire.

Very poorly done. Very.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    There's a component of the tactics mod that does almost exactly that. From the readme:

This component changes the way the game handles trolls, substituting one arbitrary hack job for another. In the unmodded game trolls carry a special item that makes their minimum hit point value 1 (so they cannot be killed). Their AI script constantly looks to see if their actual hit points are below some value (usually 12). If they are, the troll is replaced by a special alternate troll creature (the "lying down" one) that has one hit point and lacks the special minhp item but is immune to most types damage. Unfortunately, any number of situations can cause the game to fail to check that script condition (e.g., the troll is held, or many party members are beating on it at once), resulting in an "unkillable" troll that sits arond soaking up blows until (e.g.) your party walks away to give it time to "breathe and fall over". This component changes that. Trolls lose their "minimum hit points = 1" item, so they can be killed outright. As a result you will never end up with an "immortal" troll. To compensate, trolls gain 66% physical resistances to non-fire, non-acid, non-poison sources. This component doesn't particularly make the game harder or easier, but it does mean that troll group fights require less "constant vigilance" (to make sure that your party isn't "wasting time" attacking a troll that isn't going down).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Or they could mess around with the mechanics and make them take non-lethal damage from everything but fire and acid attacks. Like a passive damage shield that absorbs everything but fire/acid and then deals an equal amount of non-lethal to the troll.

Hmmm....I might be able to cook one up, but no promises, since making entirely new stuff isn't my forte.
  • molloymolloy Member Posts: 105
    The obvious solution would be repairing that script. After reading this, it seems to me that this shouldn't be a feature request, but a bug report.
  • MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
    @ZanathKariashi any luck with the mod?
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Not atm the moment. After a HDD crash wiped basically everything, I'm still putting the core PnP-fication mod back together, and as before, that's an area outside of my expertise, so it'll likely be a while before I start working on it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    It's even worse at 60FPS, the trolls turn into Durlag's sparring dummies.