Skip to content

Progress meter

Any kind of meter detailing how progress is going would be cool (we are now in stage 2/5) etc. No time specifics, just something to keep us all up to date and keep our interest peaked (how many bugs have been found, how many bugs have been stomped out, that kind of thing). /J

Comments

• GrifGrif Member Posts: 48
    That kind of transparency would be nice, but ultimately just more work for them. They have something like this internally I'm sure and it would just be a matter of sharing it I guess, but still... not something we've seen any game developer ever do that I'm aware of.
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    They've done it several times before (counting down bugs). I'm just after something simple.
  • DrakeEBDrakeEB Member Posts: 20
    Has closed beta even started yet though?
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    @DrakeEB
    I'm pretty sure it hasn't, but the beta-stage is there to find the more hidden bugs..
    In the alpha stage they fix every bug they can find on their own (i.e. bugs like: I go towards
    house X and then I'm suddenly a Solar).
    So, if they are mostly done wit SoD than they *could* tell about bugs they crushed.
    Admittetly, you would need to have non-spoilerish & amusing bugs and that would be the tricky
    part ^^
    Most progress info would contain spoilers/additional info so.. unless they have some intressting
    anecdotes from development (or some backgrounds stuff) that is mostly spoiler-free I doubt they
    can tell us much without getting lynched by the ppl in charge of PR ^^

Long story short: Tell us amusing bugs/anecdotes/background info =P
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    After some experience with the Roads to Patch X in the past, I think the Devs moved from progress-meters. And I think it's for the good.

Because everytime there's a meter, people start wondering why it doesn't improve each week, then each half a week and then each day.

IWDEE didn't have any and the release was soft. I expect something similar for SoD.
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    Progress meter, reports, whatever - just something so we know approx. what's happening. Just to keep the hype up and ensure that we don't die of curiosity... :) /J
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I am really psyched for Sod. I'm holding off on playing any BG2 until aftyer Sod is release
    I'm willing to wait as long as it takes to make it good
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Arcanis said:

@DrakeEB
    I'm pretty sure it hasn't, but the beta-stage is there to find the more hidden bugs..
    In the alpha stage they fix every bug they can find on their own (i.e. bugs like: I go towards
    house X and then I'm suddenly a Solar).
    =P

That's not a bug. That is awesomeness!
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The problem is that Beamdog don't really have anyone on their staff who could keep a meter like that running and up-to-date - the Road to 1.2/1.3 threads would lie fallow for weeks or months on end, because anyone who could supply that information was ostensibly busy working on the thing in the first place.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Surely there must be some sort of progress tracking in place internally, or else how would they know when they were ready to release? (even if it's just a list of features with tickboxes). There must be someone herding the cats who could take 2 minutes per week to drop 1 forum post in a locked thread saying "we're about X percent current feature complete" (which gives leeway to add/change features etc).
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Faydark said:

Surely there must be some sort of progress tracking in place internally, or else how would they know when they were ready to release? (even if it's just a list of features with tickboxes). There must be someone herding the cats who could take 2 minutes per week to drop 1 forum post in a locked thread saying "we're about X percent current feature complete" (which gives leeway to add/change features etc).

I think the main issue is people will look at a progress bar like that and think "well they fixed 3 bugs yesterday, so they will likely fix 3 today, and that means the game will be 'done' in a week at this rate" not realizing that not all bug fixes/feature adds take the same amount of time.

Say a week goes by without the progress bar moving, people will start to think work is not being done or somebody forgot to update the forum post, but it could just be a very big bug/feature is being fixed/added that takes a week to finish. That kind of 'stagnant' progress bar is not something you would want shown to the public since it can easily be misinterpreted as 'no work is being done' and the game hype goes away instead of being built.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Faydark said:

I doubt such a small team has a dedicated project manager. Everyone probably wears at least three hats.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    It's easy enough to generate a Critical Path Analysis using MS Projects (or similar) but that would be for the Project Team only - I know from bitter experience that if you show it to outsiders you will be subjected to endless badgering and criticism from people who know sod all about the work you're doing.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    I guess the rantings they experienced are a turn-off.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited August 2015
    I don't mean "x bugs open, y bugs closed this week" kind of breakdown. I don't think anyone seriously expects that, and anyway as @cmk24 said, it would be effectively meaningless anyway.

I used to work at a 400+ person game developer, but these days I work in a small game dev team. Any one of us on a project could probably give you a rough idea of how we are progressing with it. Certainly enough to say "we have implemented all main gameplay features to first pass/second pass/final/polished, art is X% done to first pass/second pass/final/polished spec and we are able to complete the A/B/All optional path(s) through the game" or similar message each week or two (or some other interval smaller than multiple months/year/years). If we couldn't do that, people wouldn't pay us money. People who pay money to game devs like to have progress reports. It's not rocket surgery.

It's nice to have no pressure to come up with a release date and stick to it. I'd much prefer a working polished game, but that doesn't mean zero updates on progress either.

When working for a publisher or other third party, often your hands are tied and you can't say anything at all at penalty of losing your job at the least, or legal action at worst.

When working as a free agent using crowdfunding (which is what beamdog is these days, even if not using kickstarter et al) then some form of project status updates are almost "expected" as it were.