Skip to content

Icewind dale II all broken and stuff.

TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
So I tried installing IWD2 today on my laptop, and as soon as it starts the graphics are a bit ugly and the gameplay crawls. I tried looking around online for a bit, but found nothing that worked. Figured there might be a few people here who have encountered the same problem so it couldn't hurt to ask. Any tips?

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Oh good lord. It took me about a week of tinkering with settings and the .ini to get that running even vaguely close to what I would call 'Tolerable'.

It had graphical glitches, amazingly bad lag, black boxes around pretty much everything. Do you have two graphics cards? I have an Nvidia and a built in Intel, some of my issues were fixed by switching which card I was running. Otherwise, describe some of the issues and I'll try help narrow down some fixes along with many others who will undoubtedly help around here! :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2015
    Are you running it on windows or a mac?

I used to find that when trying to run it using a wrapper on a mac (this was before gog.com had made it easy to play it on a mac) it would run terribly.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    elminster said:

Are you running it on windows or a mac?

I'm a PC.
    Found a great big install guide and fiddled around a bit, got the lag to stop. The graphics are still a bit, sort of, streaky and I've still got black boxes around the dialogue. It's playable now, but any tips about those would be welcome.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The black boxes around dialogue can likely be fixed by either turning down the colour to 16 bit or going into the graphics options and turning on "software standard blt"

Other than that I can't think of anything
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    It took a bit time to fix for me as well, but now it runs perfectly.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Aqrit's DDrawFix might help in some cases. It fixed graphical glitches around the edges of unexplored areas and some performance problems when casting spells in my case.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I couldn't even get it to run last time I tried to install it. Just never started after clicking it.