Skip to content

Whats better for BG 1:EE only, Berserker/Thief or Archer/Thief?

2»

Comments

• Alchemy413Alchemy413 Member Posts: 52
    edited August 2015
    I am using composite longbow +1 there are two of them and the long bow +2. Yeslick gets the sling +3

However, I am wondering if I should use xbow of speed for the poison bolt or just stick to the better composite bow +1 with arrows of biting

The bolt of biting is better than the arrow of biting.

Yea x3 attacks

But the throwing axe for kaigan oonly reaches x2 attacks or as u call it APR.

I have been using shadow keeper to see what they are like at max level with the best equipment.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2015

I am using composite longbow +1 there are two of them and the long bow +2. Yeslick gets the sling +3

However, I am wondering if I should use xbow of speed for the poison bolt or just stick to the better composite bow +1 with arrows of biting

The bolt of biting is better than the arrow of biting.

Yea x3 attacks

But the throwing axe for kaigan oonly reaches x2 attacks or as u call it APR.

I have been using shadow keeper to see what they are like at max level with the best equipment.

You're correct, I'm getting tired and forgot to add the extra APR from the arrow (ammunition).

And if you're using elemental arrows on the others you can add a storm giant strength potion to Kagain. Also when you count the elemental arrows, make sure to count an average of 3 damage on the elemental part.

24 STR = 12 damage
    edited August 2015
    Im going to check that out lol thats kool

be right back

as for the averaging part I am not doing averages I am showing the minimum damage and maximum damage.

BG: EE does all that math for you in the game when it shows ur min max damages.

The over all minimum is slightly higher and the over all maximum is way higher.

edited August 2015
    I just changed a few things on Kagain and with the following equipment :

Legacy of the master
    Throwing axe +2
    Potion of storm giant STR

He got :

1 Thac0
    22 - 27 damage

He is losing out on the APR though, which is a shame.

[Edited]

If you use the elusive violet potion on him you'll get :

0 Thac0
    24-29 damage
    edited August 2015
    His ac goes down to 0 that way

Although he may not need it much or at all cus never get hit lol

SO I see why u did it that way

He can get this with the brawlers gloves though

0 thaco
    20-25 damage x2 attacks

Which is still amazing as all hell.

Coran still remains on top and has more versatility with different arrow skills.

But Kaigan clearly crushes Kivan..

And as for dorn he becomes a little better.. I still need to consider that dorn has aura of despair which adds soo much damage for the whole group and his poison weapons... However, this is a hard call.. I'd say Kaigan for the slight win.

His ac goes down to 0 that way

Although he may not need it much or at all cus never get hit lol

SO I see why u did it that way

He can get this with the brawlers gloves though

0 thaco
    20-25 damage x2 attacks

Which is still amazing as all hell.

Coran still remains on top and has more versatility with different arrow skills.

But Kaigan clearly crushes Kivan..

And as for dorn he becomes a little better.. I still need to consider that dorn has aura of despair which adds soo much damage for the whole group and his poison weapons... However, this is a hard call.. I'd say Kaigan for the win.

Using a throwing axe on Kagain was more to show that he is actually a really powerful character. he is a monster in melee, monster at ranged and he has the most HP in the game. I don't normally play with Dorn so i rather not comment on him.
    edited August 2015
    Dorn is awesome in range and monster in melee they are similar.

Kaigan id have to say is better over all.

But that better doesn't cut it for me

Yeslick/Dorn combo is > than Kaigan/viconia combo

add their ac hp and attack damage together... It is better. by a good amount.

If kaigan and yeslick could get along I would no longer have dorn.

Kaigan is better than yeslick... Dorn is better than vic by ALOT.

Yeslick can use the storm giant str to increase his sling power so it doesn't widen the gap between the two.
    edited August 2015

Dorn is awesome in range and monster in melee they are similar.

Kaigan id have to say is better over all.

But that better doesn't cut it for me

Yeslick/Dorn combo is > than Kaigan/viconia combo

add their ac hp and attack damage together... It is better. by a good amount.

If kaigan and yeslick could get along I would no longer have dorn.

If you're using a sling on yeslick, it really doesn't matter if he has the gauntlets of dexterity, no? You're losing out on 2 Thac0 from them, which you can gain by using another pair of gloves instead. The AC shouldn't be a problem if you run him with a large shield and sword and shield proficiency, he'll never get hit in ranged combat.

You should also take into consideration the shorty saving throws, short people rock! :wink:
    edited August 2015
    u are amazing.... So i can give the dex gloves to edwin.

Ur genius

u are amazing.... So i can give the dex gloves to edwin.

Ur genius

Yes.

If you put 2 points into Sword and Shield Proficiency you'll gain +4 AC vs missile there. Use a large shield and you'll get the normal AC bonus and then an additional +1. If you equip him with the shield of the falling star (large shield +1) he'll get +2 AC +5 Vs missile from the shield.

Sword and shield proficiency = +4 AC vs missile
    Shield of the falling star = +2 AC / +5 AC vs missile

That's +11 vs missile attacks. If you have him equipped with a full plate you'll have even more AC vs missile and piercing there. You only need to have Yeslick equipped with the Gauntlets of Dexterity if you want him in melee combat or don't have anyone else to give them to.
    edited August 2015
    I love u man! You're OP
    edited August 2015
    im kinda wondering if I should just give dorn a sling and give him the potion lol. so he can equip a shield. Add that with his poison weapons ability and aura of despair which turns the tide of any battle.
    edited August 2015
    so the two best teams i think would be

1. Pc archer
    2. Coran
    3. Yeslick
    4. Dorn
    5. Baeloth
    6. Edwin
    or
    1. Pc archer
    2. Coran
    3. Kaigan
    4. Viconia
    5. Baeloth
    6. Edwin

those are the only two teams I would ever play.
    it is easy to play and makes the game smooth.

I will try them both out.

Because of the potion... It becomes a tie

Without the potion the first team is better.

Finally done.
    later bro.
    And thank you for the help and discussion.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited August 2015
    I'd definitely keep Yeslick on most teams like this where you want a Cleric but aren't a fan of having the two other pure Clerics on board (Viconia is definitely good but there are some conflicts with some NPCs and you lose rep having her in the party). On top of his weapon proficiencies being well spent and having an excellent Constitution for holding up in combat, his Dispel Magic ability is incredibly useful and it's for free each resting period. Meaning he's a great subsitute for a Mage spellcaster since one of the bigger reasons for needing a spellcaster is dealing with enemy protections and spells, important for being able to hit with your archers. The extra equipment that improves his abilities tremendously are icing on the cake (both Cleric and Fighter equipment), sadly you can't use him and Kagain in the same group cus they don't get along.
    edited August 2015
    I never suffer from the get along problem as I'm using BG2tweaks and there is a component there that prevents NPC's from fighting/or leaving. It's a problem that really started to annoy me in BG2 with Viconia and Keldorn, after that i just installed the no more fighting component and never looked back.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    After playing SCS no-reload extensively in BG1 I can observe the following:
    - 2 thieves is better than one as backstab, set traps and detect illusion are so strong and you still need someone to open lock and detect traps
    - Kagain and Yeslick never fought in my party though my charname had high charisma and was always the party leader
    - Coran, Montaron, Tiax and other multiclass and dual class thieves are the best as they can get high thief levels (83% thief skills of a pure thief) but be very strong in another area too
    - Ranged combat tapers off compared to dual wielding melee with 18/00+ strength (which at least 4 characters should be able to manage)
    - having 2 thieves stealth/invisible through a dungeon disabling traps and removing small encounters with big backstabs is very efficient and saves party resources for important fights
    - a bow user with arrows of detonation is the best ranged character
    - 2 pairs of stealth boots plus shadow armour provides very good stealth with very little need for investing in the skill

Hope this helps some
    edited August 2015
    Wowo said:

- 2 thieves is better than one as backstab, set traps and detect illusion are so strong and you still need someone to open lock and detect traps
    - Kagain and Yeslick never fought in my party though my charname had high charisma and was always the party leader
    - Coran, Montaron, Tiax and other multiclass and dual class thieves are the best as they can get high thief levels (83% thief skills of a pure thief) but be very strong in another area too
    - Ranged combat tapers off compared to dual wielding melee with 18/00+ strength (which at least 4 characters should be able to manage)
    - having 2 thieves stealth/invisible through a dungeon disabling traps and removing small encounters with big backstabs is very efficient and saves party resources for important fights
    - 2 pairs of stealth boots plus shadow armour provides very good stealth with very little need for investing in the skill

Hope this helps some

I agree with many of the points here, but disagree with a few as well.

1.) Alora can get close to 100 in every thieving skill, don't need two rogues. Her Rabbits foot makes her very durable thanks to the +2 AC/+2 saving throws that can be equipped with shadow armor and the luck grants her +2 minimum damage on her ranged attacks, she also has the pleasure of using shorty saving throws. She has a 19 dexterity which really helps her out and makes her a good archer. I'll take Alora and a dedicated fighter over two dual classes/multi classes. Both Alora and the fighter level up faster in their class, giving Alora more and faster thieving skills and the fighter won't have to share his XP nor limit his proficiency points to 2.

2.) Ranged combat is awesome from start to finish in BG1. It's the best combat skill and also the safest one, keep one (Kagain) or two at the most dedicated tank/front liners and have everyone else on ranged.

3.) At least 4 people get 18/00 or higher? How do you do this? Are you using Dorn and Minsc? If you're using Minsc in BG1 you're already limiting your team as he isn't very good.

Belt = 19
    Gloves = 18/00
    Minsc?
    Dorn?

4.) Most NPC's in the game can't handle dual wielding very well because of the proficiency requirements that they don't have, and many of them will have to put proficiency points into new weapons (Shar-Teel) or use them to gain mastery (Khalid) or high mastery (Kagain). AC is also incredible efficient in BG:EE and most of the time you'll be better of using a shield and a weapon, giving up that one extra APR. It's first when you get to BG2 that dual wielding is awesome on pretty much anyone that can use it.
    edited August 2015
    SionIV said:

Wowo said:

Hope this helps some

I agree with many of the points here, but disagree with a few as well.

1.) Alora can get close to 100 in every thieving skill, don't need two rogues. Her Rabbits foot makes her very durable thanks to the +2 AC/+2 saving throws that can be equipped with shadow armor and the luck grants her +2 minimum damage on her ranged attacks, she also has the pleasure of using shorty saving throws. She has a 19 dexterity which really helps her out and makes her a good archer. I'll take Alora and a dedicated fighter over two dual classes/multi classes. Both Alora and the fighter level up faster in their class, giving Alora more and faster thieving skills and the fighter won't have to share his XP nor limit his proficiency points to 2.

2.) Ranged combat is awesome from start to finish in BG1. It's the best combat skill and also the safest one, keep one (Kagain) or two at the most dedicated tank/front liners and have everyone else on ranged.

3.) At least 4 people get 18/00 or higher? How do you do this? Are you using Dorn and Minsc? If you're using Minsc in BG1 you're already limiting your team as he isn't very good.

Belt = 19
    Gloves = 18/00
    Minsc?
    Dorn?

4.) Most NPC's in the game can't handle dual wielding very well because of the proficiency requirements that they don't have, and many of them will have to put proficiency points into new weapons (Shar-Teel) or use them to gain mastery (Khalid) or high mastery (Kagain). AC is also incredible efficient in BG:EE and most of the time you'll be better of using a shield and a weapon, giving up that one extra APR. It's first when you get to BG2 that dual wielding is awesome on pretty much anyone that can use it.
    He is talking about the main character with 18/00
    Dorn with 19
    someone else with Belt=19
    two others with gloves of str=18/00
    also Kivan, Minsc, and particularly Shar-Teel who can dual to thief are close... With the tomb of strength one of these guys can also reach 19 str.

Furthermore, all six members can be 18/00 str and up. If you add Dron and Shar-Teel in particular.

Wowo is a very inteligent man

But I was thinking about the potion thing... I can give any npcs or pc potions in the game and most anyone could be good... So i am going to look at who is good without it. they got all kinds of potions to make any character godly.

I do agree with Wowo on the Alora thing..

Either have 2 theives multi or just have the one thief Alora... Both can come to the same thing in theory.
    However, it is really good to have Coran... Coran is not mediocre in fighting at all. Alora is mediocre compared to the other npcs we have been talking about. She shines in her Thief skills and Luck +2.
    The Pc character as Fighter/Thief with duel wielding at 18/00 str is very devistating... VERY. I tried it out. and the two most powerful swords in this game are twinkle and icingdeath but are very very very fast and are the maximum of +3 weapons in BG1. Becoming a fighter/Thief takes nothing away from the ability to fight.

A Fighter/thief or Berserker/thief Can reach (5 points) grand mastery in Scimitars and (3 points) mastery in dual wielding.

Having these two thieves has more thief skills combined without actually taking a spot in the group away with a mediocre fighter... And pure thieves are just that, mediocre... Even though she is the best pure thief one can ever have she is still just above average in fighting compared to any of the top tier Npcs that can join.

Dual Fighter/thief melee or ranged with Coran, multi fighter/thief range dominates. The numbers through shadow keeper do not lie. Any other non thief PC with the Npc character alora is not as good with the numbers.

PC thief with Coran > Non thief PC with Alora

I just missed my range... But he may be right.. In the beginning melee is not as good as range... But the beginning is so easy it doesn't matter.... Hmmm if range does taper off in the new BG:EE than.... Also, In my old play through, i never did go all the way with a dual wielding scimitar guy so it may be even better than I am thinking. I am unsure who to take sides with here... But the grand mastery with the best weapons in the game--one of which act like a shield with a +2 AC--and mastery in dual wielding on top of that pretty much gives you seven attacks per a round... Each weapon being supper accurate as far as melee weapons are concerned. Plus his HP reaches 106 only 14 points behind Kaigan. Furthermore, it may be better than a more accurate bow that only does 3.5 attacks per a round. I will need to experiment.

After experimenting fighter/thief melee with Fighter/thief ranged... It was better... But it requires going up close lol... Bow still keeps safe in distance. Also, there is no traveling from one enemy to the next. That time takes away from dps. And keeping distance allows casters to do more as they please..

I have just experimented with archer and it isn't too different.. Archer is super accurate and never seems to like missing its target.

Range is still best in this game even if it is not as crazy good in only two fights in the entire game. Werewolf and Aecletec... But it is still slightly, if not more, better than melee.. The only melee in this game i can truly give props to is dual wielding Drizzts scimitars.

Although, I am 100% with you on Kaigan being badass, awesome, and OP.
    Post edited by Alchemy413 on
    edited August 2015
    Wowo said:

Hope this helps some

So having High Charisma stops npcs from fighting?

My charisma is currently 21 and will be 22 once I get the helm of glory.

If this is true I may very well take Kaigan into the fold.
    Kaigan is just soo good I hate that he has issues with Yeslick... Pisses me off. Having both of them would be OP.
    Any info on this would be helpful and thank you for posting!
    edited August 2015
    ha going to be hard to choose..

Its seems that the characters in this game that are not just great but are incredible are (in my opinion after EE(shadow) keeper, forums, and the people on Beamdog--If I am to listen to everyone equally and not ignore the numbers from EE keeper) They all have 10/10 except Yeslick has 8 or 9/10 but he is best cleric to have.
    1. PC
    2. Coran
    3. Edwin
    4. Baeloth
    5. Dorn
    6. Kaigan
    7. Yeslick

There are many other NPCs that are great and almost as good at 7-9 out of 10 but they are not 10 or a vital component (Cleric) like Yeslick.

it is really hard to choose :P They are all kool

It won't be hard to choose if Wowo just got lucky with kaigan and yeslick never fighting... Him saying that they didn't fight has made it hard for me to choose again.

Having two people casting spells was very devastating and most efficient over having only one.
    and every party must have at least one cleric. And I must have Coran.

So that leaves a fight between Kaigan and Dorn. Having Dorn, no one fights over the dex glove or str belt. But... Kaigan is soo good... Although, he does miss out on the devastating Aura of despair. Aura of Despair and Chant always seems to make every fight turn in my favor. After all, it is not a one man fight but a team effort.

Dorn and Yeslick were like my Yin and Yang for fighters. Pc and Coran compliment each other. Edwin filled in the gaps of what Baeloth didn't have and same for Baeloth(had identify) to Edwin.. and both of them equal each other in extreme spell casting. They need to increase the party size to 7 characters lol I need Kaigan.

I thought about adding Xzar so that I can have Kaigan but... Xzar is not as good as Edwin... The amount of group spells goes down by a lot. And Conjurer > Necromancer. The only real advantage Xzar has over Edwin is that he can hold more weight. But I never have a problem with that. Also, Yeslick is better than Xzar over all... Only two less cleric spells. And having three casters as apposed to only two is better. It saves precious time when casting all my prep spells before a tough boss battle. And if Xzar starts casting a cleric spell during battle, he uses up a very vital turn that he could have been casting a mage spell for more damage/crowd control. But with Yeslick and Edwin they will use that turn at the same time.

Furthermore, Kaigan 10/10 may be better than Yeslick 8.5/10 But is equal with Edwin 10/10. However Yeslick is better than Xzar 8/10 and Edwin is better than Xzar.

Yeslick/Edwin=18.5/20
    Kaigan/Xzar=according to this team Xzar would be more 7.5 so 17.5/20

Wow... It seesm that even though Kaigan is great he doesn't have a place in this team... All the characters do way more damage in the end game and add more to group tank ability and damage through crowd control, disruptions, or group enhancing spells. Coran with his arrows of explosion doing AOE disruption. And Dorn disrupting with poison plus group enhancing aura of despair. Yeslick with his innate ability of instant and more powerful dispel plus Chant to compliment aura of despair.
    Kaigan is just a singular tank with no ability other than 120 HP to add to the group. The group the way it is, is overkill in the dps.. Just taking out one of them to add Kaigan will GREATLY effect the groups over all damage and crowd control thus making it necessary to have Kaigans tank ability... I just did the test by using shadoow keeper than skipping a lot in the sotry and attacking Aecletec many times. The Boss fight is faster without Kaigan.
    edited August 2015
    I am going to stick it out with only the one thief though. If it is workable. Then I wont go two. Because Range really is killer in this game. The whole game is cake.. The only place in the game that I can see will possibly need any melee is against the werewolf who requires special weapons to kill and Aecletec. Everything else dies better and faster when no one is close to the enemy. So my spell casters can cast what ever they want without hitting my allies. I will try playing two games lol. One with archer and the other with a fighter/thief. That will most definitely determine what is best.

I am no longer yielding. I found what I like most for my team and the reasons for why.
    I am also having a feeling that Archer will be better if I can unlock and find all traps with just the one thief and use Alora for a short period of time to pick pocket all the npcs.

I had imoen for the first 4 chapters and used her to pickpocket and do all thief skills in the beginning.. It has been working very smoothly so far and the enemies are all dieing fast.

My only regret is not having Kaigan.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    It's great you finally found what you prefer. Have a fun game!
    edited August 2015

It's great you finally found what you prefer. Have a fun game!

Thank you bro

And thank you to everyone for helping me find what I prefer.

edited August 2015
    Actually lol

I am going to change that to... FIghter/Mage range vs. Archer. If I have an archer I will have Edwin. If I have a Fighter/Mage I will take Kivan. But that I will figure out on my own, what is better in the long run by playing both.

And don't get me wrong... People may have gotten the impression that I think this is the best team in the game... It is definitely going to be one of the best teams a person can have... But out of all the best teams this is the one I prefer. It takes less preparation, time, and brain and is too easy to use... I am a Lazy gamer that just likes to lay back and kill fast, receiving the least amount of damage and the least amount of time wasted. And resting in this game has no repercussions so getting my spells and health back is just a few clicks away.

I play the game on max difficulty... But change the difficulty back to normal when I level up my characters (I like to have the max of what they can have). Managing rep is a joke... I found a very easy method of starting bad then ending good with 18 rep. Pick pocketing will be the only time consumer. but only a few guys in the game are really important to pick pocket. I'm good with that. Gaining money is best through ankegs, wyverns, and wolf pelts anyway.
    Well, that settles it.... Stone skin spell kinda unbalances the game in my favor. It is fighter/mage range to replace Edwin.