Skip to content

Upgraded to Windows 10 - now cannot save

Hi,

I've been playing BGEE for several months without issues. Great game. I upgraded from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 and now BGEE won't save the game. I press Q or save a game manually and it simply doesn't work. The words 'Game saved' appear in green. But the load game screen doesn't change - even saving into a new slot doesn't create a new slot to then load. Loading games works fine, so the game presumably knows where the save games are located.

I am using the Steam version and have the NPC project mod installed.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited August 2015
    It's an issue I had as well. I ended up doing a full clean reinstall but try these tips first;

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/666877/#Comment_666877

To clarify - it's a Windows issue rather than a game issue, for some reason when upgrading it sometimes places all folders in Read Only mode and I couldn't get it to change.
  • Zaarin_2003Zaarin_2003 Member Posts: 33
    I managed to resolve the issue thankfully. Your post sent me on the right track, so thanks for that. :-)

You are right that a Windows 10 bug causes certain files and folders to be read only (for me it was everything in My Documents, including my BG save files). Apparently it can be caused by OneDrive and Microsoft are aware. See here or Google Windows 10+Onedrive bug:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/bug-windows-10-onedrive-default-settings-causing/43700b79-31a3-43c8-8d30-7863e40d9576?auth=1

The posters on that blog suggest all sorts of fancy shenanigans to get a work around before MS releases the inevitable patch. They mention that your microsoft account doesn't have the right permissions or some such.

I managed to resolve the issue by first unlinking OneDrive and turning it off. I reset. Then I changed my Windows 10 login from my Microsoft account to a local account. Then reset. Then reversed the process - i.e. going back to my Microsoft account to log in and then activating OneDrive again. Presto - all resolved!

Matt
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited August 2015
    I've been having agitating issues as well. Another stellar release from Microsoft. :neutral:

I just went with a whole reinstall as well. I have several copies of both BG's as well for modding purposes so that was minorly annoying but all's well in the end.

You'd think I'd learn to leave my OS alone.