Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Colour Palette

CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
Hey ladies and gents,

I was just wondering if the colour palettes used to select clothing major/minor as well as skin and hair can be modified? If so I would love to have a poke about creating a new and richer colour set to play with without needing the shadowkeeper to modify it after the fact.

Cheers folks. :)

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You can edit MPALETTE.bmp to change the colors to make them more vibrant. You'll need a pixel editor like Paint.net (or just Paint), and it'll take some careful adjustments to make sure you don't end up with something looking like a cartoon, but that's the file you want to look at.

Siege of Dragonspear will greatly expand the options that are actually displayed on the color selector, incidentally.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Ahh many thanks @Dee! Pointed in the right direction as always! :)

Well that is a fortunate coincidence! I didn't hear about that. Does lead me to the question, are changes like that likely to be implemented in BG:EE and BG2:EE after the release of Dragonspear? Expanded colour options have always been one of my happy thoughts as it's about as in depth as character customization gets on the aesthetic side.

Which is fantastic, I hate trying to design a bloody face. They always end up look like Nicholas Cage with digestion troubles for me. >.>
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I can't speak officially, but unofficially, yes, the new method of color selection will eventually make its way into the other games (probably sooner rather than later).
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    @Dee Many thanks! :) That's fantastic to hear. Thanks for the help! :)