Skip to content

Undead hunter (from a RP point of view).

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
So I'm interested in making an undead hunter, but I'm going to change his alignment to Lawful Neutral and have a few questions. Are they as focused on good as normal paladins are (cavaliers) or do they have other morals? I kind of want to be able to pick up evil characters without feeling like i'm breaking the RP of my character. My idea was that he was fully focused on destroying the undead, even if that means teaming up with some unsavory characters.

It feels strange to me that the Undead Hunter ended under the paladin class.

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I think a LN Undead Hunter could make a cool Doomguide of Kelemvor.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Doomguide
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Vallmyr said:

I think a LN Undead Hunter could make a cool Doomguide of Kelemvor.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Doomguide

That looks awesome! Thank you for the link! :smiley:
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    elminster said:

The reason its under the paladin class is because its based on the pnp Ghosthunter paladin kit.

What's the pnp based on then?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    That you'd have to ask Rick Swan :)
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    From a role playing perspective, I don't think a good paladin would absolutely be against evil companions. A paladin follows a strict code, but does not expect everyone to be as great as himself.

A paladin might see the good in an evil character and accept them in the group in the hope the that they will learn goodness from his example. The fact that you can change Viconia or Sarevok's alignement shows that evil can be suitable companions for good leaders.

edited August 2015
    Personally, I was thinking of a Warhammer-style Witch Hunter converted into an Undead Hunter. Witch Hunters in Warhammer (and Inquisition in 40k...) in turn are loosely based on the Spanish Inquisition, which I think is the the ultimate reference point when talking about *insert subjective* Hunters or Inquisitors of all kinds.

The Spanish Inquisition was an arm of the church, and I think this is inspiration behind many of the more fatalistic paladin classes in AD&D. Some other classes as well.
  • DragonOfShadesDragonOfShades Member Posts: 56
    In my opinion, paladin kits are just like specializations in killing certain types of evil creatures according to descriptions: Undead Hunter is specialized in killing undead, Cavalier - dragons and demons, Inquisitor - evil spellcasters.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    RP wise a Charname undead hunter likely learned how to deal with ghouls that got out of the Candlekeep crypts (there is an infestation down there). He is a specialized warrior who follows a strict code of morals. That's likely it. The backstory doesn't have strong (militant) churches in his life. Who he fights with and trusts is totally up to you.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Yannir said:

The Spanish Inquisition was an arm of the church, and I think this is inspiration behind many of the more fatalistic paladin classes in AD&D. Some other classes as well.

Off topic digression:
    Technically the Spanish Inquisition was an arm of the Spanish monarchy. The Papal Inquisition was the arm of the church
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    In order of most to least likely Candlekeep paladin RP:

Undead Hunter: This one is easy and someone already brought it up. There are a ton of tomes and catacombs beneath candlekeep, so supervised killing of minor skellies etc makes sense. You could argue that Gorean even was having you leave, right as you were on the verge of taking your "final" skelly, to cement your undead hunter hood. Likely with a solo slaying mission down in the crypts.

Inquisitor: I'd think that a place filled with high level wizards and books, they'd understand the danger posed by evil wizards and spellcasters. While they still might let them into the keep, you were being trained a trump card, in case one of them got outta line. (See also, wizard slayer fighter)

Blackguard and Cavalier I end up with more troubles in terms of trying to figure out why a paladin would be there.
    @Dragonspear A Cavalier was trained in order to fight runaway demons from magical experiments?

The Blackguard I don't get either.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Yannir

Great, now I have an imagine in my mind of a poor level 1 cavalier training against Cespenar
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I RPed my Blackguard found a tome in the "forbidden dark magick" section of the library. Imoen helped him steal it and he started learning dark sorcery coupled with his fighter training. Another RP idea is that you try to become a Paladin but your blood taints your powers and perverses them.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Yannir said:

@Dragonspear A Cavalier was trained in order to fight runaway demons from magical experiments?

The Blackguard I don't get either.

The threat of demons is very real both to the northeast and southeast of Candlekeep!

Blackguard is tough but Candlekeep clearly has some bad mojo research avenues (think of Sarevok related research) so perhaps a Blackguard is there in disguise ala Korevas and takes you under his wing?
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Vallmyr said:

I RPed my Blackguard found a tome in the "forbidden dark magick" section of the library. Imoen helped him steal it and he started learning dark sorcery coupled with his fighter training. Another RP idea is that you try to become a Paladin but your blood taints your powers and perverses them.

"Professor... What's a Horcrux?"