Skip to content

Creating spells

brusbrus Member Posts: 944
edited August 2015 in General Modding
I've made some concept in Gimp and Blender for spells I would like that devs could reimagine or use in Siege of Dragonspear. Also, can it be made a combo effect ? When you hit with two spells (same school or different) one spell has larger radius and damage. Is it possible to use gimp texture to create a spell ? With Blender file .blend probably is not possible.
Is there a modding tool for EE to create it?
Hailstorm (complex AOE spell,higher ability of mage,devastation damage) /GIMP
Eruption orb (directionAL + complex AOE )/GIMP
Dream Shatter ( vertical spell strike + small AOE)/GIMP
Glimmering vortex (complex AOE, huge damage) /BLENDER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1mrZv3g0Fw&feature=youtu.be
Post edited by brus on

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    These are beautiful! I honestly don't know the answers to any of your questions. Maybe @Cuv would know (?) I think he is the one to ask
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited August 2015
    Could someone make a guide how to use http://sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/files/Utilities/DLTCEP 7.7/
    Is it supported with Enhanced edition ?
    I just tried but couldn't make proper Setup in beginning.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Hello brus

Those looks great! Well you will need to make them into .bam animations for starters. That will be the hardest part. The hooking up to a spell part is easy - its the first part that is gonna be a bear.

Step 1 - redo your spell effect with a green screen background. Open up any .bam in the game and eyedrop the green used (that is the transparency). If you want shadows, then it is the red color for those.

Step 2 - You will need to record it as frames with the above transparencies - AVI works, gif is also good. Or simply take single shots of each frame as bmp.

Step 3 - Now you will need to build the frames into the .bam - BamWorkshop can import an AVI, but the program is buggy and takes some care and maybe a lot of tries to get it to work. You can also use DLTCEP, but in order to do that with minimum hair pulling -> Make EACH frame a separate bam, them merge all your bams as frames.

If you get all that done post your bam/gif/avi here and ping me again if you are having trouble. Then we can work on how to use it with a spell.
    edited August 2015
    Cuv said:

Step 1 - redo your spell effect with a green screen background. Open up any .bam in the game and eyedrop the green used (that is the transparency). If you want shadows, then it is the red color for those.
    If you get all that done post your bam/gif/avi here and ping me again if you are having trouble. Then we can work on how to use it with a spell.

This is for the animated spell.
    I'll go step by step. How green are we talking about? I've made theese 120 frames as .png.
    Are theese good?
    Q1: Should I post image sequences of 120 frames (as below) with green background or avi (MPEG-4) ?
    Each frame is 1280x720. What resolution should I import avi or bmps?
    I found online Bamworkshop2.
    Q2:This tool you were talking about?

bgs1.png 311.1K
    Post edited by brus on
    brus said:

Cuv said:

This is for the animated spell.
    I'll go step by step. How green are we talking about? I've made theese 120 frames as .png.
    Are theese good?
    Q1: Should I post image sequences of 120 frames (as below) with green background or avi (MPEG-4) ?
    Each frame is 1280x720. What resolution should I import avi or bmps?
    I found online Bamworkshop2.
    Q2:This tool you were talking about?

I'm not sure, but first?
    Do you have DLTCEP? You can open a bam using that and save it in a bmp I believe. If not, I can upload a file with the 'right' green for you.

If you need me to do that, just type @Grammarsalad . (you can do the same with the name cuv as I did in my first response).
    edited August 2015
    When importing .avi (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13451287/shock60001-0110.avi) sequence in Bamworkshop, I got this:
    c1.png 24.7K
    Post edited by brus on
    Does this help? This should be the exact green that you want
    Ok, thanks. Btw, do you know what resolution should be .avi when importing sequence in BamWorkshop ?
    brus said:

Ok, thanks. Btw, do you know what resolution should be .avi when importing sequence in BamWorkshop ?

I have no idea.

You might get more answers here:
    http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?board=85.0

Also, when gibberlings comes back online, you should also ask questions there. Unfortunately, right now I can't link you to the right place, but remind me in the future, and I'll link you to the right place. There are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful folks there
    Cuv said:

Hello brus

Those looks great! Well you will need to make them into .bam animations for starters. That will be the hardest part. The hooking up to a spell part is easy - its the first part that is gonna be a bear.

Step 2 - You will need to record it as frames with the above transparencies - AVI works, gif is also good. Or simply take single shots of each frame as bmp.

Step 3 - Now you will need to build the frames into the .bam - BamWorkshop can import an AVI, but the program is buggy and takes some care and maybe a lot of tries to get it to work. You can also use DLTCEP, but in order to do that with minimum hair pulling -> Make EACH frame a separate bam, them merge all your bams as frames.

This is really helpful. Have you done step two yet? Maybe that is the problem. Actually, maybe it would be best to try a single frame first, with the background coloring, in different formats and see how they work (?)
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Try making a .gif and attach it here and I will try to make it and see exactly what you need