Skip to content

''Gamer'' movies and cartoons

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
edited August 2015 in Off-Topic
Okay i already know LOTR, The Hobbit, the Conan movies, Dragonslayer(hardcore), Adventure Time, Lodoss, and the D&D 80's cartoon.
But are there other movies and cartoon series that has RPG feels/similarities, in other words, what i like to call ''gamer movies''?
I also think GOTG by James Gunn can be considered sort of a gamer movie despite its flaws.
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Hawk the Slayer

Season of the Witch

Beastmaster

Red Sonja
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageJuliusBorisov
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Princess Bride definitely.

Especially Cliffs of Insanity and ROUSes, I swear I've played that game.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageFardragonNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
    And Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

My true inspiration.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageFardragonNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    There's a french cartoon series called Wakfu you can find on Netflix.
    I've only seen the first season but the main party is a

Male Portal Mage
    Female Druid
    Elven Female Archer (Not actually an "elf" but is that world's equivalent with the pointed ears and such)
    Male Staff Fighter
    and a Male Paladin

It can be really silly some episodes but then gets REALLY story intensive in the latter half of the first season.

I also watched it in French with subs but there is a dub of it now I think.

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageJuliusBorisov
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Fardragon said:

Hawk the Slayer

Season of the Witch

Beastmaster

Red Sonja

Spoony did a review of Beastmaster and its sequel. The Red Sonja comics are better than the movie.
    I think pretty much every cheesy sword & sorcery flicks from the 80's can count.
    atcDave
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Fardragon said:

Hawk the Slayer

Season of the Witch

Beastmaster

Red Sonja

Spoony did a review of Beastmaster and its sequel. The Red Sonja comics are better than the movie.
    None of them are really great movies, but they do have an RPG feel to them. Obviously books and comics are better.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited August 2015
    The cartoon "Wizards" , by Ralph Bakshi

And "The last Unicorn"

These animated movies are inf act much better than most fantasy stuff produced nowadays.
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @DJKajuru , isn't "Wizards" the one where

two mage brothers are battling for the world, and at the end, the good one pulls out a gun and shoots his evil brother dead rather than going through with an arcane battle. "That was just a little trick mother taught me."

If so, I don't remember much about the movie, but I'll always remember that ending.
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisovMathsorcerer
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

@DJKajuru , isn't "Wizards" the one where

two mage brothers are battling for the world, and at the end, the good one pulls out a gun and shoots his evil brother dead rather than going through with an arcane battle. "That was just a little trick mother taught me."

If so, I don't remember much about the movie, but I'll always remember that ending.
    Yes! Even though it's supposed to be a cartoon, it deals with several adult themes, such as war and death . I think it works well for gamers and rpg fans because they take a fantasy setting and add a lot of depth to it.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    LadyHawk

Krull (sort of)

Knights of Badassdom

atcDaveShapiroKeatsDarkMageJuliusBorisov
    Ladyhawk is a great gamer movie!
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Knights of Badassdom is a real movie?

Knights of Badassdom is a real movie?

Nevermind. I've found it on TVTropes.
    Let's not forget about the manga Berserk,
    Vallmyr

Let's not forget about the manga Berserk,

The recent movie trilogy was preeettyyy hype.
    Also The Order of the Stick, The Conan comics, Red Sonja comics and Goblins deserves a mention.
    And, of corse, Mazes and Monsters. A movie nobody will deny it is about gamers.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    If we're talking stuff "about gamers" rather than just "game-like", then I most highly advise Sword Art Online series.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Ardanis said:

If we're talking stuff "about gamers" rather than just "game-like", then I most highly advise Sword Art Online series.

I'd recommend at least the first season of SAO (the first twelve episodes). Everything after that, well...
    SmilingSword
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Yeah, but the rest imo is merely "not as great" rather than "bad", and has some good moments too.
    I actually hated all of the first season and didn't enjoy the series until the GGO arc. I have a huge distaste for the main character >_>
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited August 2015
    Vallmyr said:

I actually hated all of the first season and didn't enjoy the series until the GGO arc. I have a huge distaste for the main character >_>

But... But GGO was the SLOOOOOWEEEEESSSST EEEEEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR...

I actually hated Kirito the most in that season too. Really, dude? You're just that much of a badass that you can dodge and reflect bullets with your laser-sword, in a game environment you've never been in before now? I mean, come on. I know you're good; you're not that good. Major Sue-ness showing.

(Edit: needed to add more E's to the SLOOOOOWEEEEESSSST EEEEEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR because seriously, it's THAT slow.)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2015
    Has anyone mentioned the ABC series "Once Upon a Time" yet? It has fairy tale characters and monsters, (including all of the Disney versions of them, as Disney owns the IP and the network that airs it), D&D character classes of every type waving blades and throwing fireballs around, lots of iconic D&D monsters, and fascinating storytelling told from dozens of points-of-view and multiple points in time, and among worlds. What more could a gamer want in a TV show?

Also, has anyone mentioned Dorkness Rising? That film is one of the funniest D&D parodies with a sympathetic bias to it that I've ever seen.

[Deleted User]atcDaveShapiroKeatsDarkMageJuliusBorisov
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Has it been mentioned that they actually made an animated movie of Dragonlance?
    Vallmyr

Has it been mentioned that they actually made an animated movie of Dragonlance?

I forgot about that movie. I think it's absolutely terrible.
    However.
    I also love it to death. Objectively it's "meh." Objectively it's fun to watch for me! XD
    the_spyder
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Log Horizon season 1.

Overlord. "anime"

Re:Monster manga.

Bunraku feels like a action video game, it's not high fantasy or sci fi, but it has cowboys, samurai and lots of colourful boss battles.

Willow.

The animated classic Fire and Ice (1983).

That Sean Connery dragon movie, DragonHeart. Man I loved that movie as a kid.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageJuliusBorisovSethDavis
    Fire and Ice feels like a Conan story by Robert E. Howard.
    SmilingSwordthe_spyder
  • BenjaminBenjamin Member Posts: 39
    The community episode Digital Estate Planning is probably the best video game episode of any show ever