Skip to content

Killjoys/Dark Matter

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
I just got into these shows (for anyone not aware they are two shows that premiered this year on SyFy).

I was curious about other peoples thoughts regarding them.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Personally I find that I like Killjoys a bit more. I guess I'm more of a fan of light-hearted rather than serious television. That said I think Dark Matter has a lot of potential.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    The descriptions of both seem interesting.
    elminster
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Is it possible that Syfy is actually making good television again? After Battlestar they seemed more interested in making 'Reality' science fiction (whatever THAT looks like) or Wrestling, Or REALLY low budget and crappy 'Sharknado' style movies so I just don't watch the channel anymore.

However, recently I did catch most of episode 2 of Dark Matter and liked what I saw. Then figured I had to go back and watch it from the beginning so I am waiting for it to hit Netflix (I just can't be bothered with 'On Demand' and them suppressing the fast forward button so you have to watch the commercials). I'd also heard good things about Killjoys so maybe I check that out as well when it hits Netflix.
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    I enjoy both of them. I tend to lean toward the Killjoys also. I don't really have a good handle on the whole Company story and the different moons. I don't think they did a great job explaining all of that.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    I watch both, but Dark Matter's slightly more to my taste. The core cast of Killjoys is smaller and they're almost invariably portrayed as ultra-competent and cool. Dark Matter lets itself be a little more goofy, at least one of the main crew manages to come off as a doofus at some point in practically every episode. I didn't appreciate that so much at first, but it's grown on me as the season's progressed.
    elminster
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    I really love Killjoys. I love the acting and the storylines and the "feel" of it. I like Dark Matter too. I'm glad we have so many awesome shows to choose from these days.
    elminster
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I love Killjoys, watched the the first few episodes of Dark Matter, then dropped it. It feels like a '90s throwback, the writing feels somewhat weak and cheesy. I normally like cheesy sci fi, but Dark Matter rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It starts off slow but I would say it has gotten better as the season has progressed. Personally I would recommend anyone stick with it.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I've just been watching Killjoys. I think that they assume that it's target audience will do a minimum of research to understand the geographical and political nature of the show (with a 2 second google search to reveal the teasers and other stuff on the website) so they try not to bog down the narrative with excessive backstory.

I'd say that the character development is a little slow and lacking depth but some of the tertiary characters are really interesting and overall I really love the show as it's delivering exactly what it promised - a fun, somewhat classical sci fi (classical for me at least who remembers Stargate SG-1).
    elminster
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744