Skip to content

No XP for slain monsters in the Guarded compound of the Temple District

toxintoxin Member Posts: 57
I just killed the spawned monsters on the first floor (Ogre berserkers, Efreeti, glabrezu, nishruu) and got absolutely no experience from any of them! I then went into the sewers and killed some kobolds and I did get that experience so I'm not sure what's going on (I know the monsters are fighting and killing each other as well, I verified that I was the one who killed them). I loaded just before the battle and retried a couple of time, always the same result.

Any ideas?
Also, no spoilers please :)

EDIT - attached savegame just before the fight

Comments

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I think that the reason is because those monsters are summoned, so no XP
  • toxintoxin Member Posts: 57
    Well that's a robbery in broad daylight! those guys were tough!
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    I just finished that area as well. Since I realized there was no experience I reloaded and just buffed with Protection From Evil and an Invisibility Potion, then waited for the glabrezu to kill everything else first. :smile:

Save your buffs for the upper floor...
    edited August 2015
    Tell me about it, those guys in the upper floor were no slouches! And worst of all, the place was littered with traps... I hate it when they do that, so unfair - especially when their guys get scared and run away and your guys chase them and trigger the traps on the way! Totally worth it for their gear though :)
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    toxin said:

Tell me about it, those guys in the upper floor were no slouches! And worst of all, the place was littered with traps... I hate it when they do that, so unfair - especially when their guys get scared and run away and your guys chase them and trigger the traps on the way! Totally worth it for their gear though :)

Now I hope you won't ever make use of traps of your own, would be unfair :wink:
  • zolzol Member Posts: 25
    Monsters on first floor gives XP in vanilla BG2. So sad that it was changed for BG2:EE. :(
    Arunsun said:

Now I hope you won't ever make use of traps of your own, would be unfair :wink:

Man I would make that trade in a heartbeat :wink:

zol said:

Monsters on first floor gives XP in vanilla BG2. So sad that it was changed for BG2:EE. :(

I knew there was something fishy going on here! I did find some walkthrough that implied what you're saying but I wasn't sure.
    edited August 2015
    Daevelon said:

I think that the reason is because those monsters are summoned, so no XP

According to "trap" animation this monsters not summoned, they are gated.
    Post edited by zol on
    zol said:

According to "trap" animation this monsters not summoned, they are gated.

Does this mean we should have gotten XP for them?

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Interesting, I thought I used to get XP for those monsters (but just put it down to early onset Alzheimer's), otherwise what's the point in fighting them when you can just let the gazebo to do most of the hard graft for you - also they're a fairly good indicator that if you have a lot of trouble dealing with them you probably shouldn't go upstairs.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2015
    Wait whats this about gazebos? :)
    toxin said:

Does this mean we should have gotten XP for them?

I can only agree that "summoned" monsters will never give XP.
    But this situation is non-standard anyway - something like spike trap in Bodhi's lair.
    IMHO not giving XP here is a bug or it would be corrected long ago in BG2.

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited August 2015
    On IWD, monsters summoned by "traps" award XP points. The traps are undetectable (and thus impossible to disarm), hence the quotation marks.

Is it possible to disarm the trap that summons these monsters?
    It's not a trap, there is no "trap triggered" sound/text.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    According to http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough/temple.php,

there should be XP for those monsters:

Glabrezu [12,500xp]
    Efreeti [8,000xp]
    Nishruu [1,000xp]
    Ogre Berserker [424xp]

Also, this comment confirms that those monsters brought XP back in the day:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17694
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Seems like the issue at hand is that they are using the actual spells (Fiend, Summon Monsters, etc) which I guess now do not grant you experience (if you kill the summons).