Skip to content

Windows 10 and the Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family causing lag.

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
EFFECTS ALL GAMES ! ! ! (IWD:EE, BG:EE, BG2:EE)

1. Install Windows 10.
2. Install latest drivers, using app if required http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect .
3. Open a game.
4. Notice slow down on video intro and during gameplay.

Sorry @Dee / @AlexT , I'm calling you in on this one as I think this is a biggie...

*Anduin screams at the sky in pain*

Works fine on Ubuntu... Oh well... If anyone else is stuck I made this post a while ago to get round it while we wait for a fix for Windows 10.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12905/a-workable-solution-to-intel-graphic-chipset-problems

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Does that "workable solution" fix the problem for you?
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Ironically, the intel driver for an HD 4000 on Winfailure #10 is one of the things that work correctly on my platform.
    @Anduin can you post your exact hardware specs? (And do you have the option to revert to the previous version of Windows if we can't find an immediate solution here?)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Dee it does. But running another operating system seems an odd thing to do for the windows copy.

It looks and acts exactly like the old Intel lag problem during gameplay. However I get white screens on videos for BG2.
    Ooh... Interesting... Still can't find the summary screen...

Windows 10 gives details in minutia...

Lastly... Display...

This any good @Dee ?
    So I found this spreadsheet, which has some less than happy news: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm

Scroll down to "Legacy Intel Graphics Products" and find "Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family". You'll see that there is no driver support for Windows 10 (or Windows 8.1, for that matter).

That's why you're seeing lag even after updating your driver; there's no driver for Windows 10 for your chipset.
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    I still love that we actually spent the time to make the game OpenGL 1.1 compliant running on a software renderer. The downside being that now it runs "slow" instead of just doesn't work.

See that "OpenGL 1.1.0 running on GDI Generic on a driver provided by Microsoft Corporation" line in the graphics settings?

I sure hope intel is planning on updating the drivers for windows 10.
    Me too @ScottBrooks ... Me too. Videos appear to be broken completely on BG2.

How annoying... Maybe update the system requirements @Dee ?

Oh well. Ubuntu is interesting to use...
    Epilogue: Decided to switch back to windows 7. I was having problems downloading pictures off my phone and I thought, enough is enough... Windows 10 has too many bugs.

Although a shiny new laptop would probably cure it...