Skip to content

Most Important Issue: AI -- will only buy if much better than vanilla. (Also, what about SCS?)

2»

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Dee said:

I can't answer that question, I'm afraid. "Integrate" is the wrong word, though; a change of this magnitude would involve rewriting the existing AI, not simply setting a few flags.

I'm not involved with the AI for the game so I don't know what's being planned there, but I do know that such an undertaking would be enormous.

Perhaps as part of an another expansion or smaller DLC?
    An Enhanced Enhanced Edition, so to speak..
    $10-15 for better AI and kits would likely sell well.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited August 2015
    My two cents. I don't think that SCS is the way to go for Beamdog.

There are approximately 4300 BCS scripts in BG2EE (3800 in BG2-TOB). Not to mention dialog files also implementing various actions.
    Not all of them relate to creatures.
    Not all of them relate to combat scripts.
    200, 500, 1000 ? in any case the numbers are huge.

Either you selectively rewrite some of them or you use an automation system.
    SCS belongs to the second category. It is a kind of double framework (installation method and also an encapsulation of the scripting language). Btw not necessarily mod-friendly but it is often required.

In terms of efficiency the result is impressive, especially the "generic" scripts, even more specifically the spellcaster scripts. I know nothing as good as the high level mage scripts. My prefered feature is the "random" distribution of memorized spells at each install. Very nice to change your experience just by reinstalling the mod.
    It tends to introduce a bias because very soon you see that the battles with mages are the most difficult to manage. In comparison the various challenges in the vanilla game look more "balanced" (to use a big word) independently from the enemy class - yes the vanilla mages seem stupid but I suppose we cannot get everything.

From a general perspective, I have to admit I am a little less impressed by the specific encounters. Due to the mix of custom and shared scripts elements, you frequently see generated scripts with more than 5K, 10K or even 15K lines. More is not always better.
    More focused and less adaptive scripts can create excellent challenges too.

IMHO Beamdog should primarily focus on scripts making the encounter behaviors more credible and realistic.
    - better "shout/heard" scripts helping the creatures to collaborate,
    - better implementation and use of potions (and possibly scrolls/wands where applicable),
    - start to tailor the ultra generic scripts used for basic melee / ranged fights so that the different classes and kits start to benefit from custom features (admitedly à la SCS generic AI while keeping it more basic),
    - an enhanced version of a generic script for thieves.
    This will naturally increase the difficulty without discouraging the new players.
    I think there is no need to mimic something that already exists and is free to use.

On the contrary, custom and rewritten AI scripts for specific (and difficult) encounters would be more than welcome:
    - With scripts taking into account the difficulty slider from an AI standpoint (not just more creatures).
    - With scripts able to manage lasting fights as opposed to brutal and massive attacks that quickly win or lose the fight.

Those days I rarely play BG without Stratagems but I am sure that 15 years ago, facing this type of difficulty, I would have given up.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    TBH, we don't need SCS-level masochism to make the AI smarter.

Just something to make it less dumb, ie., as was already mentioned, better shout-out calls for help, more potion usage, mage spellbooks that actually hold credible arsenals (IIRC, the vanilla game had things like high-level mages with half-empty spellbooks, and that Twisted Rune fighter who went into combat naked without a weapon).

Vanilla BG1/2 enemies are brain-challenged mooks that beeline for the closest target.

Just a smidgeon of smarts would do wonders to improve the overall experience.

Also, I'm not trying to diss SCS, it's a wonderful mod, but, it's not for everyone.
  • iamcelestialiamcelestial Member Posts: 19

Just something to make it less dumb, ie., as was already mentioned, better shout-out calls for help, more potion usage, mage spellbooks that actually hold credible arsenals (IIRC, the vanilla game had things like high-level mages with half-empty spellbooks, and that Twisted Rune fighter who went into combat naked without a weapon).

Vanilla BG1/2 enemies are brain-challenged mooks that beeline for the closest target.

Just a smidgeon of smarts would do wonders to improve the overall experience.

Also, I'm not trying to diss SCS, it's a wonderful mod, but, it's not for everyone.

True, the first time I played the game (and was getting killed by the first wolf and gibberling that I met like 5 times in a row), I found the whole playthrough challenging enough.

SCS is fantastic, but I think maybe people will give up if we have it as a standard in the game. Obviously, an SCS-like mod (which makes even the already improved AI better) would be great and it is likely that @DavidW or someone as clever as him would be able to provide us with such an add-on.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305

I think you have SCS confused with Tactics. SCS actually works within the rules of the game - Tactics just likes to bring the pain, anyway it can.

I think you have SCS confused with Tactics. SCS actually works within the rules of the game - Tactics just likes to bring the pain, anyway it can.
    No - urban legend.
    edited August 2015

I'm sorry, but this is just not a refined statement.

Ignore all Tactics-based components and rule changes, for a moment, which should not be included in the main game, and consider ONLY the AI improvements.

That is what we are talking about.

There is NO such thing as a too good AI. To ask for a good-but-imperfect AI code to be dumbed down is just ... timid, at best.

Beamdog CAN develop good AI. We want it. We will pay for it.
  • VellinVellin Member Posts: 6
    Good AI is necessary for making the world feel more real (IMMERSION). Vanilla BG mages should be dynamic because they're beings who want to live. When they make silly real-time decisions, you have to assume they have lower intelligence than their creature files suggest. For more immersion they should also memorize good spells, but that's not really the same as good decision making skills.

SCS BG has more replay value than vanilla because it's incredibly fun to pit your wits against clever, fully loaded enemies who are trying their damnedest to kill you.

Maybe it's delusional to expect Beamdog to appeal to the niche players who want realistically difficult opponents inside the already small niche of gamers willing to play with 15-year-old graphics. :(
    Ygramul said:

Ignore all Tactics-based components and rule changes, for a moment, which should not be included in the main game, and consider ONLY the AI improvements.

Stratagems/SCS requires some rule changes to work 100% properly. Including the generic components. Moreover there are several "non tactical" encounters who are hard to beat, arguably harder than many tactical opponents. And btw the main generic component is not a pure AI thing.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    the only thing that makes scs really hard is precast spells and improved encounters. ai improvements were universally great and felt balanced. but i hope beamdog can make the ai even smarter, and not dumber.
    bob_veng said:

the only thing that makes scs really hard is precast spells and improved encounters. ai improvements were universally great and felt balanced. but i hope beamdog can make the ai even smarter, and not dumber.

I only play with no-recasting. It *IS* unbalancing and not at all needed.

The AI without it is still pretty challenging.

• ccunning1ccunning1 Member Posts: 18
    Dee, I have a question.. if we use custom AI Scripts that have their own engine like the BP series, will the new expansion interfere with that mod?