Skip to content

Is this Isometric gaming?

13»

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Arcanis
    Gameplay-wise? No, it's just a VN.
    But choice-wise? If it's giving you the options to RP a different character with a different personality each time? Yes, it's a role-playing visual novel.

Like I said, LARPing has no stats or mechanics. It's just people dressing up and playing the character they chose to play, shaping the story as they go along.
    And it's still Role-Playing, hence the name: Live Action Role-Playing.

But when it comes to video game categorization, it's only the gameplay that defines its genre.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I was thinking about this some more today and remembered that in the PnP setting RPG can either mean "Role Playing Game" and/or "Roll Playing Game." The first being the players taking on the role of a character in the world, the second is letting the dice decide the fate of the player.

If we are talking about random chance (i.e. dice rolls) determining the fate of the player, then games like Diablo can be called "Roll Playing Games" and are therefore "literal" RPGs. The dice decide if an attack hits, the damage that is done, and the loot you get after.
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    Giving only choices to roleplay in a computer game is not enough to make a game an RPG.

Any game gives you choices. Roleplaying is not limited to dialogue, even Super Mario has choices as to which path to follow and how to deal with enemies.

On PnP roleplaying is a valid element to decide, but on computer games is not enough. There should be some mechanics behind to make it a roleplaying game, otherwise, all games are RPGs.

There are also other ways of addressing roleplaying on games besides dialogue choices, some games go with the silent protagonist so that players are not forced to have dialogue for their characters, that way they can just imagine what the character is saying. There is also the keyword system that was used on Ultima games, which is mostly the same as silent protagonist, but it let's you choose the subjects you want to discuss.

Anyway, as I said, roleplaying is not just limited to dialogue, on a dungeon crawl, just choosing which path to take is also roleplaying, and even if the game has no NPCs to talk to, which usually happened on old CRPGs, doesn't mean that your own character doesn't have any background or doesn't talk with his companions. Back then, a lot of the roleplaying was left to the imagination of the player.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    When it comes to this kind of issue, I have an approach of "I know it when I see it."

Certain games that I like are fairly easily grouped into categories of like-gameplay, so maybe it would help to play $25,000 Pyramid and make lists. Then, you guys can tell me what category name you would call the games on the lists.

First list:
    Diablo, Titan Quest, Sacred, Torchlight, Nox, Dungeon Siege, Path of Exile

Second list:
    Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Two Worlds (My experience playing the games on this list is categorically different from my experience playing the games on the first list.)

Third list:
    Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, Drakensang, Might and Magic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Fourth list:
    Heroes of Might and Magic, Dark Wizard, Fantasy General, Age of Wonders, Fantasy Wars

The games on all four lists only have one thing in common - they all share a pseudo-medieval-renaissance swords and sorcery setting (except for the Star Wars). Other than that, I find these four game types to be four distinct categories of experiences I'm going to have when I play them. But within each category, the game elements all contain a virtually identical set of elements.

So, for $25,000, name those lists.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Here's how I'd categorize them, based on the assumption that "RPG" is an industry genre term that can be used to describe a specific type of gameplay. I'm also assuming that no game can be "categorized" as more than two genres at once

First List: Action/Platformer

Second List: Action/RPG

Third List: Strategy/RPG

Fourth List: Strategy

For these purposes, "RPG" means any game with dialogue that the player can direct.
    "Strategy" means any game that relies on controlling multiple elements of a single combat (typically but not necessarily in the context of controlling or issuing commands to more than one character or combatant).
    "Action" means any game that features prominent elements of player dexterity as a requirement for success.
    "Platformer" means any game that prominently features movement through, across, or around a level as a requirement for success, in the context of avoiding obstacles and avoiding attacks.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Agree with @BelgarathMTH's "Know it when I see it assessment."

Is there anything to the notion that the core of an RPG is the ability to influence your character's relationships with others?

As opposed to just influencing events, I mean... For instance, in MGS you can decide to let Meryl die because your thumb hurts, or in Resident Evil you can decide that Chris is a big boy and can look after himself... Both affect outcomes... But both are definitely not RPGs.

Then consider something like Mass Effect or NWN2 where a succession of different choices/options might lead to various companions/factions taking widely divergent approaches to helping or hindering you.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Dee, interesting, I'd never encountered the term "platformer" to describe a game that has the player move through levels or "zones", so you taught me a new word there.

One other term I sometimes use for naming my list number two would be "open world-sandbox". I guess you could argue that Baldur's Gate qualifies for that, though. So maybe there's a little more commonality among my lists than I had thought. That's probably why genre classification of swords and sorcery and sci-fi computer games can be so confusing and contentious.

Yet, whenever new releases are published, the developers always manage to give me a very clear idea of exactly what kind of game they want me to buy. I would hypothesize that that's because they don't rely on terms and phrases that don't have agreed-upon definitions, but rather, they explain in detail the game they're creating, and often use comparisons with older games that inform and inspire their own creations.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Dee said:

If that's the case, though, then XCOM is more of a "pure" RPG than Baldur's Gate (because XCOM's attacks are entirely stat-driven, and because none of the gameplay is based on the player's physical dexterity or agility, whereas in Baldur's Gate your ability to dodge a fireball is dependent upon the player's ability to move their character out of the way before it explodes), and I don't know that anyone would try to assert that that is the case.

The "RPG" classification, as I said, is an umbrella term that has been growing to cover games from a lot of other genres--and even games that historically were classified as simply "RPG", by today's standards, are not just RPGs.

Well, you talk about turn based, and in that vein, ToEE was more like an RPG than BG2. Definitely closer to PnP. Not necessarily a better game.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2015

Nox

I'm just excited to see someone else remembers Nox. It wasn't the best game for its time but it had some pretty cool magic and actually gave warrior characters a nice amount of variety in terms of abilities. I also always liked how it had an alternate path in the game depending on what class you chose. Its a shame it never got a sequel.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Kilivitz said:

There's no such thing as a "pure" or "true" RPG any more than there's such a thing as a "pure" or "true" cake. Yes, cake, as in food.

I like cake! Nuff said.

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I prefer cupcakes.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Nimran said:

I prefer cupcakes.

Bah! A cupcake is not a TRUE cake! It has no layers! The sides aren't frosted!

:wink:
    BillyYank said:

Nimran said:

I prefer cupcakes.

Bah! A cupcake is not a TRUE cake! It has no layers! The sides aren't frosted!

:wink:
    A true cake is delicious, regardless of layers or frosting! You can have a layered cake, a frosted cake, or a cupcake! They're all cakes! :wink:
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Let them eat cake!
    Three is the number of cakes you shall eat, and the number of cakes you shall eat will be three! Four shall be too many, and two shall be too few!

And the people feasted upon the cakes, the layered cakes, the frosted cakes, the cupcakes, the pancakes, the orangutans, and the fruitcakes, until all were full... and there was much rejoicing (Yay!).
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    Five!
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    atcDave said:

Five!

"Three, sir!"
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Nimran said:

Three is the number of cakes you shall eat, and the number of cakes you shall eat will be three! Four shall be too many, and two shall be too few!

And the people feasted upon the cakes, the layered cakes, the frosted cakes, the cupcakes, the pancakes, the orangutans, and the fruitcakes, until all were full... and there was much rejoicing (Yay!).

With so many cakes to choose from how can I only pick 3?