Skip to content

Question about using IWD:EE files in BG:EE

ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
edited September 2015 in General Modding
So my question is quite simple... is it alright (acceptable) to use IWD:EE modified files (for example areas' tis files or Hrothgar's sound files that have been cut into pieces in a BG:EE mod) or have I just spent a lot of time for nothing?

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited September 2015
    You don't want to use anything that will reference something that is not in the game. Sound files should, I believe, be perfectly fine. I haven't worked with area files, but I understand that they run scripts. You don't want any script using a trigger or action that is iwdee exclusive. I don't think it'll crash the game, though. I think they just won't run. But beware any spells or items that use iwdee specific opcodes. That will crash your game
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    Naa I just meant tis files (the image files for areas). I am using IWD area pictures to build new areas (photoshop).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Any questions you have about copyright issues should be answerable in this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/19418/a-quick-note-about-copyright#latest

Speaking to your question about using IWD:EE art in BG:EE mods, because they're both from games that Beamdog produced, we're okay with you using files and assets from either game in mods for the other.

(Just don't, you know, include icewind.exe in your mod ;) )
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    Okey good to know that infinity engine game materials are "fair game" since that's the only resource I have been using :) well except own models.

and whaaat?! why shouldn't I include icewind.exe in bg:ee mod? :P (why isn't there ever a smiley for sarcasm) :D