Skip to content

Throne of Bhaal: Setting traps in The Clearing should not break the game.

In the spirit of ambushing the red wizards in The Clearing I had my thief and my fighter/mage/thief set a couple of snares in the area where the Red Wizards were expected to teleport in. Which is cool, but it causes the game to crash every other time during the first cutscene.

To reproduce:

Load attached save.
Cast Reckless Dweomer
Rest until the Red Wizards teleport in. (The snares are already set).
When the Wizards walk over the snares there is a 50% chance that the game will crash. If it doesn't happen the first time, try, try again.

Comments

• simAlitysimAlity Member Posts: 64
    In the interest of troubleshooting, it might be worth trying to reproduce with other types of "traps" like skull trap, death ward, power word stun, and timed fireball (that's probably not the name, but you know what I mean).

In the mean time I'm going to go ahead and deactivate the snares and play through. This just seems like the sort of bug that y'all would want reported.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hi
    I could reproduce the crash with both traps present, removing one or the other (e.g. summoning Kitthix and attacking him to spring the trap) let it work fine. Adding new traps in also works fine - is that also the case for you.

Do you have any mods installed, and is there anything special about how you set the traps (i.e. a different thief or playing in multiplayer or under the influence of luck etc.)
  • simAlitysimAlity Member Posts: 64
    No mods. Although I do use Ctrl+I to advance dialogue. I don't know if that counts as a mod or not. If it does, I apologize. I know you're not supposed to post bug reports if you have mods installed.

I didn't do any additional testing after posting this bug. My machine is an old war horse and even a relatively lightweight game like Baldur's gate takes a bit to load.

Traps were set by my fighter/mage/thief. To my knowledge there was nothing unusual about how I set them. I just set them. I tried to get Imoen to set a couple but hers failed. One of mine failed as well.