Skip to content

Is this a sequel?

Please forgive me for being such a noob, I just started playing baldurs gate 1, and I have 2 for later. Anyway I'm wondering if this is a sequel? I'm also wondering about neverwinter nights, is it like baldurs gate at all? Thanks.

Comments

• kristaokkristaok Member Posts: 51
    Thanks a lot, sorry for my lack of knowledge in these games I just started but I really like bg :).
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    edited November 2015
    Within the world of the games, another thing that sets Icewind Dale apart from Baldur's Gate is that IWD is set in the year 1281 DR, which is long before the start of BG in 1368 DR.

Also, there's no need to feel bad about lacking knowledge. Everybody has to start somewhere. Welcome aboard the zany train aka the BG fandom.
    Post edited by Svar on
  • kristaokkristaok Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2015
    Thank you all! I'm torn between pillars of eternity, Icewind Dale, and neverwinter nights... I just wish poe had no curse words.

Edit: I also heard planescape torment was good thanks all.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    By the way, welcome to the forum! Have a :cookie:!
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    If you are enjoying baldurs gate then try Icewind Dale! It's very similar gameplay wise but also different, the game is more linear and focused on big dungeon crawls than lots of side quests and NPC's. You do get to create 6 characters for your party which can be alot of fun and it's still a fairly huge game!

Planescapr Tormet is like Baldurs Gate but in the total opposite direction than Icewind Dale! It had a huge focus on story, NPC's and quests but not so much on combat. That said it is many peoples favourite Infinity Engine game!

Neverwinter Nights is similar to Baldur's Gate if someone tried to recreate the engine in 3D. However it removes some features (like having a controllable party :( ) and has rules from 3E which are a little different (Icewind Dale 2 uses these rules but there is no Enhanced Edition). It still has AI controlled recruitable NPC's and The ruleset can be a bit confusing coming from Baldur's Gate, little things like weapon skills being seperated by basic, exotic etc. rather than selecting swords, axes etc. It is a fun game though and worth your time if you want some more epic dungeons and dragon fantasy adventures!

The games are loosely connected in the sense that they are all dungeons and dragons properties, with Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights being regions of Faerum. Tormet is a bit...weird...it takes place in the planes which are a bit like between dimensions of material lands like Faerum and such which is a super cool setting!

I might be wrong on some of these counts I'm always mixing myself up on the lore but I alwys think of them as connected but seperate stories and all of them are worth a play!