Skip to content

Games that offer the best Necromancy.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
Sooooooooooo I love Necromancy. It's wonderful <3. Unfortunately games seem to make it so Animate Dead is just a summon that brings in a few skellybros/zombabes (Morrowind, Oblivion, BG, IWD, Pillars of Eternity, Nekro, NWN/NWN2).

However, there are some games that actually let you animate the things you kill! So far I've seen Dragon Age: Origins (to an extent, the skeleton shares the class with the enemy you killed), Dragon Age: Inquisition, Skyrim, Sword Coast Legends, Warcraft III, and Dawn of War II that offer the ability to animate the thing you killed.

Does anyone know of any other games (doesn't have to be an RPG) that offers this sort of necromancy?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2015
    In Sacred 2, the Astral Lord shadow warrior character has a necromancy-based skill tree. (Sacred 2 is an arpg like Diablo).

One of his skills is to keep a trio of "skellybros" fighting with him, but one of his other skills is to animate dead enemies to come back to life and fight with him as ghosts. I'm not sure how strong the skill can get, because I never developed it very far - the shadow warrior has good combat skill trees besides his necromancy tree, and I was always interested more in using and developing the combat skills.

The animate dead skill starts at level one with one ghost at a time, which only lasts for a short time after animation before fading. As you build the skill, the ghost stays for a longer and longer time, and is re-animated with stronger and stronger combat stats. I think you can eventually start animating more than one at a time as well.

The skeleton warriors that accompany you come with a cool "wooo-wooo" set of sound effects, like rushing wind and ghostly wails in the distance, so it can really set a nice, creepy, necromantic mood. They have great animations, with lots of green glowing and translucent lighting. The skeleton warriors count as an aura, so once you turn on the ability, they stay until something kills them. (You can just immediately raise them again if that happens.) So, you have them accompanying you permanently through the game if you want.

The shadow warrior's other powers on that "Astral Lord" tree include a skeleton skull stationary shooting tower that can be summoned into a spot, that fires bolts at enemies in all directions, a ranged telekinetic ghostly hand that appears out of thin air and strikes enemies with both physical and frost damage, and the ability to assume shadow form, which when fully developed, allows him to become invisible and invulnerable to attack.

In fact, there's a somewhat famous way to "break the game" by building the Shadow Form together with a sub-ability of Shadow Form called "Evil Pact", where the Astral Lord shadow warrior can eventually stay permanently invisible and invulnerable, while the skeleton warriors, ghosts, and skeleton towers do all the killing.

One thing that's different though, is that the character was a warrior during his life before unlife, not a mage type. I don't know if that would be a deal-breaker for you, but you can build him as a "mage" in the game if you want. There is equipment that is specifically for the Astral Lord ("necromancy") aspect, and some of it looks pretty awesome.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader is another game title where you can "properly" animate enemy carcasses. In fact, the majory of the Tibal Magic's Necromancy skill tree is useless without having a lifeless body nearby. Other than that, your caster can also assimilate corpses to regain Health. That's a spell of the Protective skill tree if I remember correctly.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Ohhh
    Both games look really cool, definitely will pick them up later!
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited September 2015
    A module series for nwn uses energy of spirits to brew potions that allow one to conduct investigations - track footsteps of the dead, ability to see and speak to ghosts, and find bones, skulls to create animated skeleton companions or skeletal animal companions - lots of fun and a different take on dead things. In one of the modules you can bring back an entire ghost town of dead villagers, then speak with the dead to further the story.

It was made for wizard or sorcerer classes and supplies a laboratory, garden for planting reagents required to brew potions and even let you pick your laboratory assistant ( a dead corpse you had to find, then make the soul in your control ).
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    In ToEE, you can have a cleric that will turn/control undead long term. They can be pretty weak, but I remember traipsing through town with a whole host of skeletons after visiting the site of the big battle.

In ToEE, you can have a cleric that will turn/control undead long term. They can be pretty weak, but I remember traipsing through town with a whole host of skeletons after visiting the site of the big battle.

ToEE is this beast I want to tackle but I'll need to set down a lot of time for it. I remember my first venture into it was me doing all the side-quests and then going to the Deko-Woods place with the spiders and then getting absolutely wrecked and rage-quitting because I forgot to save recently XD

I imagine once I get into the game I'm going to love it hardcore but the start is so slow I need to dedicate a weekend to get into it.
    ToEE is one of my all time favorite games. It is WELL worth getting into. And for what you are asking for, I think you will be quite happy. As I said, I created a Cleric who went around controlling all of the skeletons and basically going around with this huge army of the undead.

You definitely want to do all (or as many as you can given alignment and role playing) of the Fed Ex quests in town first. Then, if you are playing said cleric, head instead of the Deklo grove, to the site of 'The big Battle'. Move methodically through the top half, but don't go to the bottom, "Yet". Then head back to the Deklo grove. You will be in MUCH better situation to tackle the stuff there and should gain some decent XP too boot.

I will warn you that the skeletons are pretty low level monsters and will die QUICKLY. But it is loads of fun while they last.

Another game that had a relatively decent Necro path was Diablo 2. If you took the skeleton path, you ended up basically babysitting a whole host of Skeletons and Skeleton mages who slaughtered everything in your path.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I thought of another one you might check out if you like Diablo style aRPG's.

In Titan Quest, there is skill tree called "Spirit Mastery".

You get a defensive chill aura, life leech spell attacks, and a lich king summons that you can build up to be stronger and to keep around at all times.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited September 2015
    The Diablo 2 necromancer can also use a skill called Revive that brings the monster back to life as that monster, just fighting for you with modified stats and a timer before it dies again

Path of Exile has something similar, but it binds the enemy's soul to fight for you rather than their body.

They're both on the higher end of the skill tree though, so you would have to go a ways to get them.
    Diablo 2 had some nice "Necromancer" style game play. Spirit shield summoned ghosts to circle around you and take the damage for you. Bone Spear made you throw what looked like someone's spine through enemies. And there was another ability that was some kind of Magic Missile type effect as I recall. Teeth? I want to say? It's been a while.

They did also have a golem path. I guess that was necromancer-esque. It felt a bit strange in the grand scheme of things though to be honest.

I much preferred to have 4-6 Skeleton Warriors and 2-4 Skeleton mages all swarming. And every time one died, you merely raised one of your enemies to join your side. Oh, and they had this one ability where you could explode a corpse. That was always LOADS of fun.

Another thing that they did right was that you could only 'Raise' a corpse of a fallen enemy. None of this "Hey presto, you created a skeleton out of nothing" crap. This often meant that you had to wander around the 'Easy' board and kill stuff before portaling back to your last save point.

Another thing that they did right was that you could only 'Raise' a corpse of a fallen enemy. None of this "Hey presto, you created a skeleton out of nothing" crap. This often meant that you had to wander around the 'Easy' board and kill stuff before portaling back to your last save point.

Indeed! This is most definitely what I'm looking forward to. I actually like animating from a corpse as opposed to the way a lot of games have you just poof in skeletons. In BG/IWD/NWN and other such things I only cast those spells if I have corpses nearby to draw from as I can at least RP that I'm raising them.