Skip to content

#10475 [All] Imported characters should not lose custom biographies

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
edited November 2014 in IWD:EE Bugs (v1.4.0)
[Windows] Created/Exported Characters Do Not Retain Custom Biographies

1. Start Game
2. Choose Icewind Dale
3. Choose Single Player
4. Choose Pre-Generate Character
5. Create Character and Customize Biography by clicking Biography button
6. Select Export (Or just Start Game)

OR

1. Start Game
2. Choose Icewind Dale
3. Choose Single Player
4. Choose New Game
5. Delete a Pre-Made Character
4. Select Create
5. Create Character and Customize Biography by clicking Biography button
6. Select Export (Or just Start Game)

Observed:
Characters do not retain a custom biography. This occurs if you create them either of the ways described above. When you enter the game, their biography is gone, and the default biography replaces it. Once in game, you can enter a biography by using character customization, click "SAVE", and it will be retained in that save log, however upon exporting the character, the character will again lose the biography entered.

Expected:
Biographies should be able to be saved as part of an exported character template. Custom biographies should be retained during character creation.

--UPDATE--

Found a bit more unusual behavior with biographies related to the above issue:

If you create an entire party of characters, once they are in game, they obviously lose their biographies as described above. If you then begin entering biographies again manually one at a time for them, after creating a few if you go back to the first or second character you already had completed, you'll find their biography is gone again! Also, if you do a biography for one and then go on to complete another you haven't done yet, he'll sometimes have the biography of the first character you already entered.

Also, I am noticing strange placeholder text in some of these biography slots. Some say "This space intentionally left blank" some have the default biography for their class, and other say something like "Base THACO is 0."

After going through my characters and entering, saving, entering, saving, I finally got all characters to take their custom biographies in the save log (however they still don't hold them on export).

Notes:
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 12278MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Dual AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series Graphics Card

Post edited by HaHaCharade on

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Just a brief update here - When looking the the Characters directory, the CHARNAME.bio file is accurate for an exported character (it does contain their custom biography). However, for whatever reason the biography does not stick during char gen.
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    This happened to me! I typed a whole page of back-story while making a character and just noticed its gone. Yikes.
    HaHaCharade
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    edited November 2014
    edit, nm.
    edited November 2014
    Updated original issue.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I created five characters in a game, exported them, then imported them into a new game while creating an additional sixth character. The new sixth character has a correct biography, the other five have "This space intentionally left blank". In the first game, they had correct biographies (with the exception of a Gnomish Thief/Illusionist, who has the biography of a fighter).
    HaHaCharade
    edited September 2015
    Yep this is what I've seen as well. Seems inconsistent. I've noticed with the new patch that there are now ".bio" files associated with the character files, which contain biographies. Not sure if that's an attempt to fix the problem or not (maybe they were always there and I didn't notice, but I don't think so).
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839

Yep this is what I've seen as well. Seems inconsistent. I've noticed with the new patch that there are now ".bio" files associated with the character files, which contain biographies. Not sure if that's an attempt to fix the problem or not (maybe they were always there and I didn't notice, but I don't think so).

The .bio files do in fact contain the proper biographies. They just aren't being shown in-game, as per the report.
    HaHaCharade