Skip to content

#11042 Sorcerer Quick Spell Slots should not reduce to 0 spells available after resting

sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
edited December 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
I'm having a weird bug where my quick cast spells for my sorcerer is 0 even after resting, and when I go to "cast spell" then they are back at 6, now I have 3 quick cast spells filled; haste, stoneskin, breach, funny thing is, breach reads 6 while haste and stoneskin read 0, now if I reselect them for quick cast they go back up to 6, but when I rest they go back down to 0, now I did, do EE keeper on my guys ( gave them pretty colors, and gave them monster appearances) but this didn't start happening until after I installed the 1.3 patch, I will attach the file with the bug

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,872
    Tagged with issue number.
    Thanks
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    no problemo
  • If Haste is placed in the quick slot for my Dragon Disciple and I rest, the quickslot icon shows up as 0 after resting, forcing one to click 'spells' then manually right click and set the haste to the quickslot bar again.
    Yep, merging in with the tagged report @Drizzts_Fat_Cousin‌
    Cheers
  • noddy366noddy366 Member Posts: 5
    every time i rest my quick spells always seem to lose all charges until i right click and select the spell again is there any way to fix this ?
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    What's the class of the character this is happening with?

This is a known problem for sorcerers:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37877/11042-sorcerer-quick-spell-slots-should-not-reduce-to-0-spells-available-after-resting
    Merging threads
    Thanks
  • domeplsffsdomeplsffs Member Posts: 36
    Hey guys,
    as stated in the title, my Charname has Quickslots assigned to spells, and each time i rest i have to reset them, because it's showing '0' in the Quickslot (thus me not being able to use spell) and i have to re-assign the quick slot for it to work properly again. i am using :

-the latest patch (1.3.2064)
    -Steam version of BG2:EE
    -an Imported Char from BG:EE

on a Win7 machine with everything updated.

If need be, i could make some screenshots.

Thanks for the help, and have a good day.
    Merged into the report for you @domeplsffs‌
  • LidlessLidless Member Posts: 3
    I am also having the same issue on my sorcerer with spell slots showing 0.

Also, the spell "Greater Invisibility" doesnt work properly on a sorcerer rather than a mage. When you cast it, it acts the same as normal invis. No matter where you are, behind closed doors even, if you cast or make any action moves it breaks the invis properties. Enemies all over the map can see you after that.

To clarify. Im not talking about casting infront or in sight of enemies. Its as if the invis is completely gone once you attack. Thats not how it works on my mage. I can do whatever i want while invis so long as nothing sees me do it...ill remain invis.

These two issues combined are extremely annoying. I recently purchased this game on the app store for my phone galaxy s3 btw.

Please fix.
  • LidlessLidless Member Posts: 3
    I dont feel i explained properly. Greater invis vrs normal invis. What makes "greater" invis greater...those properties arent working on a sorcerer. Simply put ;x
  • MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
    edited January 2015
    -
    @Lidless‌
    Improved invisibility (?) is working fine on my install for mages and sorcerers.
    - Enemies that see you cannot target you with spells.
    - Attacking someone who becomes visible but still under the spell sees a penalty of 4 to attack rolls.
    - All saving throws remain lowered by 4 for the spell duration.

If you are seeing different results could you start a new thread with a save game attached with suitable characters and a description of the behaviour seen please. Also, is your game modded, on pc/mac/etc and Beamdog/Steam/etc.
    Thanks
  • pwaringpwaring Member Posts: 81
    Are additional save game reports/uploads useful? I've run into the same issue (quick spell slots go to zero after resting, Dragon Disciple character imported from BG:EE into BG2:EE, latest 1.3.x patch).
    Also, this doesn't seem to happen to divine spellcasters - Jaheira's quick spell slots show the correct numbers after resting.
  • kellclkellcl Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    I just started a new game and I put Magic Missile, Slow, Invisibility as spell shortcuts with cast count 5, 4, 5 respectively. After the party rests, the cast counts of those spells automatically drop to 0. However, going to the main spell list bar, the counts are OK. Re-placing the spell shortcuts restore the correct counts, the next rest reset the counts back to 0.

I don't have any mod installed and this is a fresh installation of BG2EE with 1.3 patch.

I have attached a save game with problematic spells put on spell shortcut list.
    Ah ok. I was looking for an existing bug report and simply couldn't find it. Thanks.
    The only happens to certain spells for sorcerer and dragon disciple.
    Merging into main report.
    edited March 2015
    This still seems to be a problem, but I have found a workaround. If you quick save and then reload (q then Shift+L), the quickspell slots appear as they should do.
  • realsickofbugstbhrealsickofbugstbh Member Posts: 12
    I have to admit I am pretty shocked that this issue (and many other issues that have been known for a long time) has not yet been resolved. This game has been out for a very long time now, and these things shouldn't happen, and if they do they should be fixed asap. I have encountered the quickslot issue earlier, but then I was playing with a party and my spellcasting abilities were not as needed, so I made do, but now I have started a sorcerer solo playthrough, and having quickslot spells is more important than ever.

I can't find any info about any upcoming patches. When is the next patch coming out, and will this bug _finally_ be fixed in that patch?
  • MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322

I have to admit I am pretty shocked that this issue (and many other issues that have been known for a long time) has not yet been resolved. This game has been out for a very long time now, and these things shouldn't happen, and if they do they should be fixed asap. I have encountered the quickslot issue earlier, but then I was playing with a party and my spellcasting abilities were not as needed, so I made do, but now I have started a sorcerer solo playthrough, and having quickslot spells is more important than ever.

I can't find any info about any upcoming patches. When is the next patch coming out, and will this bug _finally_ be fixed in that patch?

Next patch will be this year(2015) for sure (1 patch\per year), absolutely, yes, it will be fixed.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited September 2015
    Still not even a hot fix? Any work around for this?
    Post edited by T2av on
    @T2av Does my workaround solve the issue for you? (quicksave then load) It's not great but it seems to do the trick.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited September 2015
    pwaring said:

@T2av Does my workaround solve the issue for you? (quicksave then load) It's not great but it seems to do the trick.

Quick save than load it that quick save and it stays? Also what file governs this? The quick slot spells?

I'm also on Android, so I do not have access to hotkeys, but I'll give it a try
    T2av said:

Quick save than load it that quick save and it stays? Also what file governs this? The quick slot spells?

Yes, if you quick save (q) then load the quick save (Shift+l) after resting then the quick spell slots have the correct number of spells showing. I don't know why this is the case - perhaps loading resets some parameters - but it has always worked for me. If you've successfully rested (i.e. not been interrupted by enemies) then there should be nothing to stop you quick saving immediately when you wake up.

I've only tried this on the PC version though - it works on Windows and Linux.
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    I would just like to know how this bug was implemented. It wasn't in any version of the original BG2, so why purposely put it in? Ontop of not fixing it in a quickpatch after TEN MONTHS.
    These things happen sometimes in software development - by implementing one feature you accidentally break something else, possibly without realising (usually known as a regression bug).

Patches seem to have dropped to an annual occurrence - maybe this will be fixed soon after Siege of Dragonspear.