Skip to content

Why not nexusmod?

I was looking up some mods and I saw @subtledoctor talking about the difficulty to get approval for the G3 website or the shs one. I also remember they both went down recently.

Why aren't more mods uploaded to http://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate2ee/mods/categories/? The website works wonders for other games.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I'd see it bringing stability compared to other communities and also a solution to the issues you mentioned in the post I read( like you can't have a forum for your mod unless you are approved by admins) and I think it's different on the nexus. I know the nexus also makes it easy to keep old versions and also makes it easier to identify modders in my opinion.

When I played skyrim I was fairly amazed at the ease of use of mods compared to BGII, the mega mod installers are very efficient and the mods all on the nexus.

Since there's been many issues with the current websites used, i've been wondering about the nexus, I feel like having all the communities split is a bad thing for the bgII community, the beamdog forum isn't a good way to rate or share mods either I think.

Finding good feedback on mods or even up-to-date mods themselves is fairly difficult bare the biggest ones with the current system and I think that by making it harder for users to find the right mods, it makes it harder for modders to have their work publicised or rewarded.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I know about weidu, I was more pointing at "Big World Setup" compared to "Mod Organiser" (which allows to easily have multiple installations at once without taking up any disk space, allows to remove a mod in the middle of the mod order without having to reinstall the rest), I'd compare weidu to the native mod support in skyrim and weidu is a fairly wonderful thing. There could be more than weidu and that's what I compare to skyrim.

For the rest, it might be a bit too philosophic to discuss but I don't think "it hasn't happened" correlates to "it's worse than the current way", the nexus didn't exist at the beginnings of bg modding and I think that's the main issue there.

I think seeing the possibilities for modders of the skyrim communities should be a good enough incentive to progressively move there (I'm not hoping all at once, but rome wasn't built in a day, some modders moving there would effortlessly make the communities move I think).

I'm about to start big studies so I can't really start new projects right now but I want to have a discussion about how to make the modding community more efficient so I can try to help with that in a few years.

The modding for bg2 is great and weidu is awesome and while I wasn't there at the time, I can only guess weimer was a genius to make it, it could be so much more with a better organisation though. I'd like to see that.
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    I like Nexus, and while it may not help in terms of installation, it could help in terms of distribution and management. It will never happen, most likely because it never has. The current list of sites are all managed and visited by hard core users and they don't change much.

One other thing, I disagree that this may be the last hurrah. I don't know what the profits are/were for BG and IWD, but obviously enough to make a sequel...um...midderal. I think that leaves the door open for IWD2 if possible and PS:T.
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    IWD2 ain't in my phone though!
    The BG2 engine is going to be improved by Beamdog every now and then (like with the release of SoD) so I can see it going on for a good amount of years as long as Beamdog doesn't give up on it. I also think that Beamdog wouldn't move away from it without being sure of the alternative, they rely heavily on an established fan base, there's a big risk for them if they change too much things. Even if the engine was to change, I think it would imply keeping approximately the same fan base so not all the work done on the IE would be lost.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I wouldn't be surprised if they go into talks with Obsidian for the pillars engine.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Not enough hot, naked mods, OP
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

When I played skyrim I was fairly amazed at the ease of use of mods compared to BGII, the mega mod installers are very efficient and the mods all on the nexus.

Keep in mind that Skyrim, and the other Bethesda games, were specifically designed with mods in mind. That's not the case with the BG games. They were originally intended to be played as is, until someone figured out a way to inject mods into the original content. So naturally games like Skyrim are going to be a lot easier to work with when it comes to mods.

Sure and it's certain that their engines are better than the Infinity Engine. I think that the extremely split community isn't due to the engine and could make things a whole lot easier than what they currently are.

Mod Organizer let you browse the Nexus and easily choose your mods through all the nexus mods and keep them up to date very easily because they are all at the same place and the download links aren't broken, that's not something doable with the current way mods are uploaded and/or updated for the IE.