Skip to content

Melf's acid arrow scroll?

Hi,

I'm playing BG:EE properly for the first time (I've always loved BG2 but could never get into the original BG), because I want to check out SoD. So, my mage (Neera) is about to reach level 3 and get her first 2nd level spell. The problem is, I haven't found any worthwhile second-level scrolls. Obviously there aren't that many anyway, but the one I'm looking for is Melf's acid arrow.

Scrolls are available at some stores, but I haven't found Melf's. Is this going to be a long, hard search?

I have to say that there is something exciting in this, not having scrolls everywhere, but it does have its bad side, too.

As for the game itself: it's interesting to see how simplistic it is compared to BG2. You also have to do an incredible amount of walking around in dreadfully dull surroundings. That's very boring, and that's what made me quit before.

Comments

• Hey,
    This site is very nice for locating scrolls/potions and other items:
    http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/magescrolls.html

I checked it for you and you can find the scroll at sorcerous sundries in the city of Baldur's Gate. It's the big round building in the same area that you first enter.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @DullSkullTheSecond: Thanks for that.

I haven't even visited the Nashkel mines yet, and the game is rather strongly suggesting I should go there next, so I suppose it'll take some time before I end up in Baldur's Gate.
  • @xzar_monty I think you can also find scrolls on hostile mages. I believe I got a "web" spell far before entering baldur's gate. So with a bit of luck you'll find it before baldurs gate :smile:
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    There is certainly a good number of second level and third level spells around but they thems to be a bit out of the way. Unless you want encounter spoilers I can just recommend that you visit the high hedge where you can get enough spells to keep you going even if they aren't the exact ones that you want (but learning the usefulness of other spells is part of what makes bg1 great).

For the record, MAA is terrible at low levels and I never use it.
    @DullSkullTheSecond: I wonder if the scrolls on hostile mages are random. That would be great! I did find a scroll of Horror on one. It's one of the better 2nd level wizard spells, thankfully.

@Wowo: MAA is, indeed, terrible at low levels. However, it provides you with a guaranteed hit that can be used to disrupt enemy spell casters, if nothing else. Frankly, 2nd level spells are basically rubbish for both clerics and mages (and most definitely druids who have nothing at all at 2nd level!). Horror is useful if you're indoors (having your opponents run around the entire outdoor map gets annoying), and Mirror image is quite ok, in the sense that it protects your mage from damage. Web is fine against certain enemies. All other 2nd level mage spells are useless. As for the cleric spells, Draw upon holy might is extremely useful at high levels if you happen to have a tank cleric(/fighter), and Hold person is useful at low levels. Everything else is rubbish.

@DullSkullTheSecond: I wonder if the scrolls on hostile mages are random. That would be great! I did find a scroll of Horror on one. It's one of the better 2nd level wizard spells, thankfully.

@Wowo: MAA is, indeed, terrible at low levels. However, it provides you with a guaranteed hit that can be used to disrupt enemy spell casters, if nothing else. Frankly, 2nd level spells are basically rubbish for both clerics and mages (and most definitely druids who have nothing at all at 2nd level!). Horror is useful if you're indoors (having your opponents run around the entire outdoor map gets annoying), and Mirror image is quite ok, in the sense that it protects your mage from damage. Web is fine against certain enemies. All other 2nd level mage spells are useless. As for the cleric spells, Draw upon holy might is extremely useful at high levels if you happen to have a tank cleric(/fighter), and Hold person is useful at low levels. Everything else is rubbish.

If you ever think that cleric or wizard spells are useless then you just aren't trying hard enough.

(No comment about Druid spells).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2015
    You can buy Glitterdust at the Feldpost Inn in Beregost. If you are looking for a 2nd level option its a very good one :)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Ray of Enfeeblement is not to be underestimated. Very few targets in BG1 have the saves to easily avoid it and most fighters carry equipment heavy enough to stop them in their tracks, making them useless. It's worth a try.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Mirror Image, Blur, Ray of Enfeeblement, Glitterdust, Whatsisname's Scorcher, Horror, and of course, Resist Fear...all 2nd level spells that don't suck.
    Nimran said:

Mirror Image, Blur, Ray of Enfeeblement, Glitterdust, Whatsisname's Scorcher, Horror, and of course, Resist Fear...all 2nd level spells that don't suck.

Resist fear? Seriously?
    Stinking Cloud is available which is a great spell to combine with the cleric spell Animate Dead.
    @Wowo: It's not a question of not trying hard enough. Having played DD related stuff since the 1980s, I think I know a bit of what is effective and what is not. I still think 2nd level spells are essentially useless (with very few exceptions) in BG games.

I agree that Glitterdust can be quite nice and Ray of Enfeeblement does work at low levels - but I'd still use other methods. I occasionally have RoE memorized, but I cannot remember actually using it.
    Wowo said:

Nimran said:

Resist fear? Seriously?
    Hey man, if you think running around like a headless chicken while Mr. Magic is shooting fire and lightning at you is fun, then who am I to deny you a good time?
    Nimran said:

Wowo said:

Nimran said:

Resist fear? Seriously?
    Hey man, if you think running around like a headless chicken while Mr. Magic is shooting fire and lightning at you is fun, then who am I to deny you a good time?
    I just mean that clerics have the spell and easier to let them cast it (though in an SCS no reload game id have one of each as redundancy is key to survival).
    Wowo said:

Nimran said:

Wowo said:

Nimran said:

Resist fear? Seriously?
    I just mean that clerics have the spell and easier to let them cast it (though in an SCS no reload game id have one of each as redundancy is key to survival).
    Yeah, I prefer having the priest spell as well. It's certainly useful in either case, though.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited September 2015

Hi,

I'm playing BG:EE properly for the first time (I've always loved BG2 but could never get into the original BG), because I want to check out SoD. So, my mage (Neera) is about to reach level 3 and get her first 2nd level spell. The problem is, I haven't found any worthwhile second-level scrolls. Obviously there aren't that many anyway, but the one I'm looking for is Melf's acid arrow.

Scrolls are available at some stores, but I haven't found Melf's. Is this going to be a long, hard search?

I have to say that there is something exciting in this, not having scrolls everywhere, but it does have its bad side, too.

As for the game itself: it's interesting to see how simplistic it is compared to BG2. You also have to do an incredible amount of walking around in dreadfully dull surroundings. That's very boring, and that's what made me quit before.

If you kill enough monsters, one will drop eventually. I just got one from a bassilisk earlier today, and I know I came across the scroll rather early in a previous playthrough, because I zapped the wizard in the Bandit camp with it.

I imagine you'll find it soon enough, along with lots of other goodies, if you pace yourself and explore the wilderness before, during and between the main quests of the plotline.

If you find Agannazar's Scorcher that should do you for a good level 2 spell. Move around after firing it to sweep it across multiple enemies and it works really really really well in BG1.
  • gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    For 2nd level spells, web is kinda an "I WIN" button in BGEE, except against spiders of course. I also have to agree, never dismiss ray of enfeeblement, always fun seeing big bad warrior types unable to reach you.