Skip to content

Characters are in red?

Hello, couple simple questions I believe, if you could assist.

I just started the game and picked up the two people from the friendly arms in. Out in the combat area when I have them as my selected characters some of my people are highlighted in red on the battle field. Once I entered into a new zone it stopped happening, what is that about?

Also.. With my druid companion, in the quick key section with 3 moons, the spell slots, when i put a spell onto the last spell slot, no matter what i click, the druid casts the spell...

I snared my whole party just by trying to set her up for battle... Any advice?

Comments

• 17651765 Member Posts: 71
    edited November 2013
    as far as the "accidentally" casting spells when you put them in the quickslot: when you have the "cast spell" cursor active, either press the escape key, or click somewhere else within the toolbar e.g. your weapon. This will cancel the spell casting cursor.

Normally a read highlight means that the character/NPC/monster is hostile. Are the characters attacking your party? this is normally a sign they've been charmed. Charm is a spell which will turn an enemy into an ally, or your allies into an enemy. If you check in the "Character sheet" (press C), under your experience level on the left it will say any status effects. These status effects are also visible as an icon over the portrait on the toolbar on the right of the UI.
  • haniatri72haniatri72 Member Posts: 25
    If the circle around a character's feet is red, it means they are hostile. If the WHOLE character is highlighted in red it is just because the person you are currently selecting has infravision (they can see in the dark well) and is nothing to worry about.I think Jaheira and Khalid both have this because they are half elves.

I don't know about the spell slots
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    There's also a tie between your character uniform colors and circles. I grew to love that, as I could color code players by role, which enabled me to strategize more quickly in the heat of the moment.
  • SheennoobiSheennoobi Member Posts: 9

There's also a tie between your character uniform colors and circles. I grew to love that, as I could color code players by role, which enabled me to strategize more quickly in the heat of the moment.

wow thanks for the advice kind sir!
    never thought that i you could do that!

cheers!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    From that thread title, it sounded like you were asking if your characters barely had any money.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Neutral encountered beings have blue circles around their feet. When you click on them, it brings up the chat option icon. It is possible to attack them instead of talking to them by clicking on your weapon and then using the attack option; this is called "force attacking". Needless to say, this turns them red/hostile.

When you summon/charm creatures to fight on your side, be careful how you use area attack spells. If you accidentally hit them with an AOE spell, they will turn red and attack you. This includes spells that don't actually hurt them, btw. If I animate dead and then hit the skeleton with something like stinking cloud, it gets annoyed. Go figure. Note that turn undead affects even friendly ones.

To avoid unfortunate errors, pause the game and take your time choosing the proper spell and the area it will target. You can have each spell caster choose their spells and targets while the game is paused; the critters are in no rush, they'll wait for you. Spells like entangle can be tricky if you are casting at a critter near you; such spells are not party friendly, and can hit your group also if directed too close.
    edited September 2015
    Also note that under combat options, you can choose to have the game auto-pause under certain conditions. For example, I have mine set so that every time a character kills a target, the game pauses. This makes combat a bit choppy, but has the benefit that it let's me select the best option for the next round, instead of relying on the NPC's AI to do the most beneficial thing.

You can set how each of your NPCs generally behave as well ... aggressive, defensive and so on ... under the customize option on the character portrait screen.
    edited September 2015

From that thread title, it sounded like you were asking if your characters barely had any money.

Starting characters rarely have significant funds :wink:

With luck, maybe you can buy Imoen a bow and some arrows so she doesn't have to fight off wild dogs with a dagger.