Skip to content

Nightmare Mode?

I see people talk about Nightmare Mode from time to time. I get the impression it's a greater challenge than HoF/Insane, but I can't find it in-game.

What is it and how I do activate it?

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Nightmare Mode is to BG2 what HoF is to IWD.
  • sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by sorcerin on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Go to the "Baldur" text file, edit with Notepad, and change the "0" after "Nightmare mode" to a "1." This will activate Nightmare mode.

It's a little different than Heart of Fury mode. It has the same double damage, boosted XP, and triple HP plus 80 on top that HoF has, but it also adds one attack per round and adds 12 levels to all critters besides the protagonist.

This also applies to NPCs, so you might want to edit them in EEKeeper to remove the bonuses. However, you'll have to edit the NPCs twice to get their HP right: Keeper their HP to the right value (do the math yourself or check the base files in Near Infinity, whichever you like), load up the game, save, and then Keeper their HP to the right value again, since the first time won't work.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2015
    Nightmare Mode is just the internal name for HoF mode. If you activate it in BG2EE at this point you may run into problems (that is why its not accessible otherwise). Changing it in IWDEE just activates Heart of Fury Mode.