Skip to content

The Eagle Bow... Bug ?

KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
edited September 2012 in Fixed
Unlike all bows, the "strenght bonus" is allowed for the "eagle bow" (bow08.itm) .
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I don't remember if they removed the strength bonus from bows, or arrows and bullets. I assume if the Eagle Bow has a strength bonus it's meant to be there but I don't know.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Bookmarked. If the strength bonus applies, the description should mention it. If the bonus is illegal, it should be killed.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @Ward Nobody removed these bonus from bows, because they don't exist. ^^

@AndreaColombo The description says nothing.
    Fixed. The description now mentions the STR bonus to damage granted by the Eagle bow.
    The bug is not in the item instead of the description ?
    Apparently, the STR bonus to damage with the Eagle Bow is intended.
    Ok ok... So be it.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    The eagle bow can be used by weak characters. Composite bows got a huge strength requirement.
    Consider the eagle bow an adjustable strength bow.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    The oddity pointed out by @Avenger_teambg is one aspect: i.e., with a minimum STR of 6 on BOW08, why would there be a STR bonus? But the other aspect is that it is the only bow that gets a STR bonus attached to it. Even Composite Bows (BOW01 and BOW02) do only a fixed THAC0 and Dam bonus rather than one dependent on STR. Therefore BOW08 looked like an awkward exception and oversight, not appropriate. What @Kerozevok alludes to regarding the description mentioning no such STR bonus holds more weight with me.

@AndreaColombo
    I thought this one was already decided in favor of removing the STR bonus- as discussed here with @Wisp and @CamDawg... (not to mention elsewhere...)
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1988/bg1-2-throwing-axe-flag-inconsistency
    The problem is that BOW08 does grant the STR bonus in the current state of things, so I think it makes sense for the description to reflect that. This close to the release date I doubt the devs would bother removing it, so let's ship the game with a consistent description for BOW08 for now. If the STR bonus gets removed down the road, I will alter the description again :)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    C'mon now, the strength flag is a bug--no other bow has it, and to assert there were intended bonuses beyond the already listed +2 to damage is disingenuous.
    @CamDawg - I thought it was intended for when I asked the devs before I changed the description, they confirmed the behavior rather than labelling it as something that should've been changed. I'm fine either way, but the description should really be consistent with the game mechanics.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I actually thought this was being left in because the bow has the sam behaviour in both games. I also think the STR bonus should be removed.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    This is something that was all ready addressed when we talked about Strength bonuses on bows, slings and ammunition.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    In 3rd Edition, there's a particular enchantment type for bows called "mighty," which allows you to use your strength modifier up to that level of mighty in addition to the damage the bow already confers and any magical enchantment it might have.

For those favoring removing the strength bonus, just pretend it has Mighty on it.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

@CamDawg - I thought it was intended for when I asked the devs before I changed the description, they confirmed the behavior rather than labelling it as something that should've been changed. I'm fine either way, but the description should really be consistent with the game mechanics.

Confirmed as intended, or confirmed that this was the current behavior?
    Tanthalas said:

I actually thought this was being left in because the bow has the sam behaviour in both games. I also think the STR bonus should be removed.

The eagle bow is present in the BG2 game files, but the bow isn't used. AFAICT it's unchanged (same ApR bug, too).
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited September 2012
    Right- forgot to mention that BOW08 already has a bonus- similar to all other magic bows- in that it adds a +2 to THAC0 and Dam. So it rivals the +1 Composite Bow already. (In BG2 BOW08 was reduced (in its description and effects) to only +2 to THAC0.) So it's already outfitted like a regular magical bow. Adding a STR bonus just seems gratuitous... or like one of those overpowered items one might find in most adventure mods. :-P
    Post edited by Bhryaen on
    Quartz
    edited September 2012
    Already a bonus +2 to THACO... and +2 to damage.

In fact, there is 2 bugs on this bow : The effect "modify attacks per round" is present in "global effects" and in ability/launcher (wrong place).
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
    Bhryaen
    CamDawg said:

Confirmed as intended, or confirmed that this was the current behavior?

Not sure anymore, at this point. I asked Dave about the bow, he checked it with the devs and asked me to alter the description to reflect the STR bonus to damage. If that changes down the road, I can just as easily fix the description again accordingly.