Skip to content

How to get past level 8

I cant seem to get my characters past level 8. I finished everything except the final battle and still didnt have any level 8 spells. Only one level 5 spell and 2 level 4. Obviously I was a bloody pulp before death. Sarevok is just too strong. This after I finally beat all the werewolves. Wtf is up eith that?

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Who's in your party, what tactics are you using?

A mage should be able to get up to 9th level, at which time he'll have one 5th level spell. Even with the XP cap removed, you're not going to get much further than that with a full party.

Sarevok is beatable at that level, but it's definitely the toughest fight in the game. The usual way is to try and draw his minions out and defeat them in detail. IIRC, you have to kill all his minions before you can kill Sarevok.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Sarevok's fight gets way easier if you make good use of potions (heroism, strength, protection, invulnerability, resistance) and protection spells .

Also, forgive me if I got it wrong, but you may have mixed up the difference between level and spell level:Mages are able to reach a new SPELL level at every two CLASS level he's achieved. So an 8th level mage can cast 4th level spells, for example.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    BillyYank said:

IIRC, you have to kill all his minions before you can kill Sarevok.

You don't have to.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited October 2015
    Laureanna said:

I cant seem to get my characters past level 8. I finished everything except the final battle and still didnt have any level 8 spells. Only one level 5 spell and 2 level 4. Obviously I was a bloody pulp before death. Sarevok is just too strong. This after I finally beat all the werewolves. Wtf is up eith that?

i think that what you said needs clarification:

- if you're able to cast a level 5 spell, one of your characters must be at least level 9, so you're already past level 8!
    - maybe you're unaware that there is a cap on experience points which translates to a maximum attainable level; for a mage it's level 9, so if you've as you say "finished everything", you've almost certainly hit that cap; for paladins and rangers it's level 8 because they level up relatively slowly
    - in order to get 8th level spells you must reach character level 16, not 8 :smile: (you can only do that in the sequel)

so basically, you've hit the level cap and still find the final battle hard. that's very common because it's designed to be a super hardcore encounter compared to the "adventure-y" vast portion of the game (sort of a nasty surprise for players, a vicious difficulty spike; that is an old-school game design trope and you could say that it shows the datedness of the game's design, but most people love it for this). it's winnable, you just have to keep trying out different tactics.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    BillyYank said:

IIRC, you have to kill all his minions before you can kill Sarevok.

That's true only if you have SCS' improved final battle component installed.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    OK, it's been a while.
  • MezmereldaMezmerelda Member Posts: 15
    You can hit sarevok with a fireball before he sees you and if it says he's attacking you you can lure home outside as long as you don't initiate dialog. That with haste and a few more buffs and he's easy peesy