Skip to content

Massive Lag after upgrading to Window's 10

Chrono_TriggerChrono_Trigger Member Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in Troubleshooting
Hi, I use the steam versions of all three BG:EE, BG2:EE, and IWD:EE. I tested the window's 10 upgrade on my laptop to see how it would manage with everything and the games played fine on the laptop so I went ahead and upgraded on my desktop which is the computer I have all my save files on and now my desktop is having a hard time running all three games, they are really laggy and slow, I really couldn't tell you a fps rate, I doubt that the upgrade is totally at fault since most of the research that I've done has most people saying that they haven't had any issues with the window's 10 upgrade. And since it's all three games i'm not sure that it would be game specific. So this leaves me with something wrong with the new OS or something wrong with drivers or other that is in the computer as well. This is an issue only with these three games, I play DDO and LotRO and neither of those games are having any issues.
I have uninstalled BG2:EE and deleted all save files for a clean install and it has not made any difference, have not uninstalled all three yet don't think it'll make any difference.
any help and direction for troubleshooting from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Post edited by Chrono_Trigger on

Comments

• Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    Same issue, might have to wait for a patch. :(
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hi
    Please could you advise what graphics cards you have, driver version being used by Windows and details of both cards if there are more than one.

Your game ini file should have some graphics lines as below (example is mine). It would help if you can provide these so we can look for oddities or patterns.

'Graphics', 'version', '4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.4252 - build XXXX',
    'Graphics', 'renderer', 'Intel(R) HD Graphics',
    'Graphics', 'vendor', 'Intel',

Thanks
  • DrakeIsGodDrakeIsGod Member Posts: 6
    I recently updated my operating system from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Home and a lot of my programs had some compatibility issues, but were easily fixable. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: EE shows only white/blanks screens when playing a movie, and Icewind Dale: EE movies play, but are really choppy and laggy. The only way I could get theses games to open without resolution issues was by disabling the DPI scaling. When I finally get to the gameplay, everything is slow and impossible to play. :/ Please, I need some help here.
    Merged threads, if you could provide some additional information as mentioned above that would be helpful.
    Thanks
    In my .ini--
    'Graphics', 'version', '1.1.0 - build XXXX',
    'Graphics', 'renderer', 'GDI Generic',
    'Graphics', 'vendor', 'Microsoft Corporation'

My graphics card--
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Thanks @DrakeIsGod I'm not certain but it looks as if your card supports OpenGL 2 but is currently using version 1.1. That may indicate there isn't a suitable Windows 10 driver for it.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opengl-extensions-supported-in-intel-4-series-express-chipsets-and-beyond/

A bit more digging indicates the situation was apparently the same for Windows 8 so you may find issues with any games that use OpenGL rather than DirectX.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/require-update-for-mobile-intel-4-series-express/96cd8ecf-ae75-4295-99a5-7ea2e27d54f5?auth=1

@Chrono_Trigger all three games use the same game engine (albeit evolving) so if one game is affected it's likely that all three would be.
    I've researched this problem all day. Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family has no compatibility with Windows 8-10, sadly. Only Microsoft has the power to provide a fix for this, in which case, I'll have to keep in touch with Microsoft professionals and beg for it until it is released (if begging will cut it). For some reason, my graphics card on Windows 10 only supports OpenGL 1.1, when it should support OpenGL 2.1 as it did on Windows 7. This is clearly a problem caused from updating to Windows 10, as it isn't supported. It can be fixed if I downgraded to the driver that worked with Windows 7, though some Windows 10 features may not work properly. As a perfectionist, it isn't in me to 'downgrade' anything..

Anyway, if anyone wants to fix this problem, it's simple.. Just downgrade your graphics card driver (or beg Microsoft or the graphics card manufacturer) lol.
    @Gate70 do you know if it's possible to change the backend to Direct3D instead of OpenGL for these games? I did that for another game that was having problems and it worked perfectly afterward.
    Ah nevermind... After weeks of looking around, I found this http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2014/08/gma-4500-series-feature-pack-for.html
    It fixed my problem immediately for my specific chipset driver. If you have a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family driver, then download this and it'll fix everything.
    All of these games I can now confirm as "WORKING" :)
  • kalekale Member Posts: 53
    Hi, I have the exact same problem, sadly (Icewind Dale is extremly lagging after I updated to Win10. Before that under Win7, everything was fine). My graphics card driver should be the latest, but I'm also having problems with playing videos, for instance on Youtube (only deactivating hardware acceleration fixed that problem...hence I think that my graphics card is the ultimate problem - well, actually Win10 is I reckon...). Just wanted to post my data, maybe you guys know a way how to fix my Icewind Dale...

'Graphics', 'version', '4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.200.1062.1004 - build XXXX',
    'Graphics', 'renderer', 'AMD Radeon HD 6520G',
    'Graphics', 'vendor', 'ATI Technologies Inc.',
    Check you have the latest driver for Windows 10, looks like Catalyst 15.7.1 from what I can see (assuming you have the 64 bit OS)
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 10 - 64
  • kalekale Member Posts: 53
    I suppose there's nothing else I can do apart from waiting? I do use the latest driver (currently even the latest beta driver), but nothing has changed. Is this def. a driver problem then?