Skip to content

Icewind Dale Roleplay-ish Duo Playthrough: The Urisunal Brothers

OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
edited November 2014 in Challenges and Playthroughs
I don't usually roleplay when I play the IE games (I don't usually powergame either, but I don't roleplay). So in this playthrough I might fail utterly to roleplay these my two characters but I'm still new to roleplaying.

The two characters are:
Sarestu Yoravian Urisunal, a transmuter
and Erastir Asdulero Urisunal, a warrior

The Urisunals were raised in a moderately wealthy family in Bryn Shander. Sarestu, the older brother, was an aspiring transmuter, but his fondness for getting into long debates with his brother and friends made it incredibly difficult for him to focus on his magical studies. Erastir, on the other hand, had a much more antisocial nature which allowed him to concentrate on his training; he rarely conversed with anyone outside of his own family.

Both of them shared an urge to solved mysteries that they thought had never been solved before. At one point, Erastir paid a skilled alchemist to concoct a large and terribly mutating violet potion. He drank the entire flask at once to see what would happen, and the effects were incredibly painful. Erastir's body became warped far beyond repair, imbuing him permanently with the might of a titan and the agility and stamina of a slug. It took him heroic effort simply to walk the short distance home. Because wearing heavy armor would now be too draining on him, he decided to start practicing unarmored combat.

One day, Sarestu heard a rumor of "malevolent forces" at work in the lands beyond the village of Easthaven, and of an expedition starting at that village to investigate. Both of the brothers wanted to go on this expedition, but their parents refused, saying that their talents would be more useful and profitable for defending Bryn Shander and the caravans near it against bandits and the like.

A few long days later, both parents died, one shortly after the other, from some peculiar sort of deadly disease. Neither of the brothers were trusting sorts, and so they blamed each other for the death of their parents, but they knew that now they had a chance to go and investigate the "malevolent forces" they were so interested in, and they suspected that they wouldn't survive the endeavor if they kept arguing about who, if anyone, did the crime. So, Sarestu sold most of their property for around a thousand gold and used a good amount of that money to get a nearby adept mage to cast a powerful and long-lasting Endurance spell on Erastir so that he would not die of exhaustion in the journey to Easthaven. They spent some more money on supplies and they left, with about four hundred gold remaining.

This is where the game begins. Here are the two characters' stats:

Post edited by OlvynChuru on

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited November 2014
    OMG, looking at your Kensai's stats (DEX) and at your self-imposed restrictions I must say that yours is one ill-disciplineded and ill-equipped duo to save the Dale. :D
    I didn't mind your digressions as you call them, and am looking forward to read more about them. Good luck!
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Quite a unique pair of heroes!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I feel like I might be underestimating how devastating having 1 dexterity and 1 constitution would be. Someone with 1 dexterity would probably be so poorly balanced that he/she would be unable to walk upright, and if he/she tried to wield a weapon, he/she would probably accidentally drop it every 3 seconds or so. Someone with 1 constitution probably wouldn't be able to walk 5 feet without dying from exhaustion. But I don't want to have to come up with extremely stupid excuses for why Erastir is able to walk from the tavern to Pomab's shop, so I've mainly just left this topic alone.
    Finally, the Urisunals are back!

(another side note: I've also been ignoring the fact that realistically Erastir would probably have broken about 20 quarterstaves by this point due to how hard he swings them. The thing is that as far as I know there is no easy way to aquire a magical sturdy staff early on in the game, and I don't want Erastir to have to carry a ridiculous amount of quarterstaves for so long. That would just be annoying. Sorry.)

Having practiced his new spells overnight, Sarestu woke up quite tired. Erastir woke up fine, and after a minute or two he remembered the ring he had hid under his pillow. He got it out and read the engraving. After Erastir mentioned the ring to Sarestu, they went downstairs and convinced the halfling innkeeper to confess to Arundel about the whole Eidan thing.

Sarestu was able to learn both of the new spells in one night since they were both part of his own school. He still hadn't mastered them but he still had plenty of time to learn. He cast Endurance on Erastir and then they set out for the Vale of Shadows.

Not long after they stepped foot in the vale, they encountered some undead shadows. Clearly the vale was aptly named. Sarestu's Color Spray had no effect on them, and Erastir was worried that his staff would do nothing to them either, but it did, luckily. Apparently these were very weak shadows.

Sarestu decided he had to start practicing Shocking Grasp, a spell which he had been taught back when he lived in Bryn Shander. By this point he barely remembered how to cast it, but he had some recollections, so he decided he would practice that night, but they needed a safe place to sleep. They decided to check a nearby crypt. Of course, this crypt had lots of skeletons in it, and so the Urisunals had to come up with some sort of strategy.

First, Sarestu cast Cat's Grace on Erastir and himself. Although after the spell Erastir still had below average reflexes, Sarestu felt like he could dodge anything. So, Sarestu jumped into the crypt and gained the attention of all its undead inhabitants. Then, he exited; his brother was hiding just around the corner. Erastir smashed the first skeleton that came out of the crypt, but there were too many skeletons for him to handle by simply standing his ground, so they fled. The brothers separated their enemies; whenever a skeleton was even slightly isolated, Erastir destroyed it with a quick swing. Most of the skeletons had much shorter weapons than Erastir, so it was easy for him to beat them without getting hit. The zombies were even easier to beat. Deeper within the crypt there was a carrion crawler, and it too was slain in a single swing by Erastir.

After they cleared the crypt of all opposition, they set up camp in it. Other than the food they had brought with them, they had nothing to eat. The flesh of the carrion crawler and zombies they had destroyed surely carried all kinds of diseases. Next to a skeleton on a bier there was a medium-sized piece of bread, but it looked thoroughly decayed and inedible.

Sarestu started to practice Shocking Grasp on wooden objects; Erastir couldn't sleep with all the noise. After a few hours, Sarestu could recite the incantation flawlessly, and they went to sleep.

The next morning, the Urisunals explored more of the vale and found two yetis, which charged at them with all the determination that hunger causes. Erastir stood his ground and crushed the first yeti that came near him, but the ogrish beast survived the blow with a ghastly shoulder wound and staggered towards him. Erastir ran away, but Sarestu sprang forth, put his hand on the dying yeti's head and quickly spoke the incantation for Shocking Grasp. It died, but the other one still lived. The brothers killed it the same way. Sarestu suggested that they should try to eat the yetis if possible, so Erastir dragged them back to the crypt. Sarestu tested different parts of the yeti's body to see what was edible. Their blood turned out to be tasty, and their legs were quite filling. The rest was inedible. They had solved their food problem, but they were running sort of low on water. When Sarestu brought up the the subject of their water supply, Erastir brought up the idea of using Burning Hands to melt patches of ice and drink the water. However, Sarestu realized that if he did that he would have fewer spells to use in combat. So, they decided to come up with a plan later on, once the water situation became dire. Erastir threw the dissected yeti corpses down into the depths of the vale.
    After not updating this thread for a very long time, here's what I have to say about the playthrough.

I actually beat the game with the Urisunals several months ago. It was a very fun playthrough. On this thread, however, although I somewhat enjoyed coming up with the writing for this story, much of what I wrote was quite far from what actually happened in the playthrough, and I'm not just talking about the parts that were obviously just for the narrative, like the part about eating the yetis. What bugged me was how I made it seem like the Urisunals got through everything without much trouble. In fact, in my writing the only time when an enemy actually hurts one of them is when one of the beetles in the cellar bites Erastir. In reality, the two of them went through quite an ordeal indeed. I made it sound like the Kuldahar Pass wasn't a big deal, when it was actually the most agonizing part of the whole playthrough. Previously I had thought that Dragon's Eye was the hardest part of the game, and usually it is, but now I know that there is nothing worse than trying to get through that pass on Insane difficulty with two characters who have no armor or helmets and have barely any health. It was like if you had to get through the Nashkel Mines with an all mage team, and none of the mages had Mirror Image, there were twice as many kobolds, and all the extra kobolds had bows. By the time they reached Belhifet, the Urisunals had been going at it for 1586 days and 11 hours. I'm surprised that Kuldahar hadn't frozen over by the time they were back from Chapter 2. If I had accurately portrayed how the game went in my writing, it would've had to document like half a year of them resting in that hermit's cave. However, despite me not writing accurately about how the game actually went, I did still follow the rules I set earlier in the thread.

Here are some anecdotes:
    *Yxunomei was actually really easy. Erastir drank a potion of invulnerability, a potion of agility, and a potion of fortitude, and he became incredibly scary: he ended up with BETTER armor class and saving throws than most pure fighters would have at that point in the game and just as much HP, and of course he had 25 strength and some kensai bonuses. I didn't have Erastir do that too often, though.
    *Before they encountered Poquelin, I was debating whether to start Heart of Winter now or start it after I beat the main game. I decided to beat the main game first. Since I knew that containers wouldn't carry over, I had Sarestu and Erastir carry everything I thought was valuable to the final boss outside of the containers.
    *When I started Heart of Winter, for some reason there was a glitch that made it so that Erastir had twice the kensai bonus damage. He could easily do over 50 damage in a single non-critical hit!

And that's it for this playthrough. If anyone is interested I guess I could come up with some more lies about how the story supposedly went. Otherwise, I'm done with the Urisunals.