Skip to content

[Races] Give races actual proficiency slots in their favored weapons

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
Elves are skilled with bows and swords - more specifically, longbows and long swords. This translates to a flat +1 THAC0 with those weapons.

It would be more useful and more visibly interesting, and in the end actually slightly less potent, if instead of a flat bonus to THAC0, they just received a free proficiency point in those weapons. Same thing with Halflings and slings, dwarves and axes, etc.

Comments

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    The extra bonus won't be all that potent by ToB, why ruin a good thing?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Well, it's mostly because with this implemented, an elf wizard (such as Xan) would be able to wield a longsword without taking a (somewhat significant) nonproficiency penalty, and despite being a mage that normally doesn't get access to such weapons. It would have little effect on fighters, except that an elf fighter would be able to, say, take an extra proficiency slot at level 1, which is an enormous boon in the early game. In the late game, the +1 bonus doesn't mean much.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    I like the idea. That way it'd make more sense to improve a dwarven fighters pre-existing axe skill with more skill points, rather than give him a large sword skill because you like large swords more than axes. That way a dwarf could reach axe grandmastery earlier in the game than large sword grandmastery, while for an elven fighter it would be vice versa. Fluff with effect.
    Xan's moonblade is considered a Dagger... he IS proficient with it.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Can someone confirm this? Last time I played BGT I thought I saw Xan was not proficent with his own moonblade.

Quoted from BG1 itself.

This potent weapon was created by the smiths of ancient Myth Drannor. Moonblades are used in the long process of selecting a ruler for the isle of Evermeet. A Moonblade chooses its owner, and in the case of this sword it has chosen the elf, Xan. Only Xan can use this blade, anyone else who tries will find themselves unable to lift the sword. This particular Moonblade gives resistance to fire and gives its user a bonus to his armor class.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D8
    Damage type: slashing
    Bonus to hit: 3
    Bonus to damage: 3
    Special:
    +1 bonus to Armor Class
    +50% Fire Resistance
    Weight: 4
    Speed Factor: 5
    Proficiency Type: Small Sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Not Usable By:
    Everyone but Xan
    1D8 is scimitar and longsword territory. Small sword proficiency doesn't exist though there are short swords. Can you check the character sheet for the results? IIRC his THACO gets worse when he holds it. I'm at work and can't pull it up at the moment.
    edited June 2012
    Small sword existed in BG1. Small Swords in BG1 consisted of Short Swords and Daggers.

Proof, C&P from the BG1 game files themselves.

The typical dagger has a pointed, usually double-edged blade, as opposed to a knife, which has a single edge and is a bit shorter than the dagger.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D4
    Damage type: piercing
    Weight: 1
    Speed Factor: 2
    Proficiency Type: Small Sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Not Usable By:
    Cleric
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I'd have to check the game, but Xan in BG1 did have proficiency in small swords (even though the Moonblade definitely looks like a long sword).
    I see, haven't played vanilla BG1 in 20 years. I'm used to the breakout of proficiencies you get in BG2 since I have been playing BGT. Still like you quoted there daggers usually 1d4 so a 1d8 dagger is one powerful dagger
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited June 2012
    @Dazzu I believe that you're right that they classified it as a dagger, but it doesn't really change my point. The point is that he should be proficient with long swords in general not just his own moonblade (which they changed to a dagger so that they wouldn't have to give him long sword proficiency). The fact that he can be proficient with small swords instead of large swords is one problem, as the weapon that his race is innately proficient in falls under the category of large swords. Also, since BG:EE is going to be using the ToB engine, it will almost definitely have separate proficiencies for each weapon (not weapon groups like BG1), which is where this suggestion comes in...

Also, Xan's moonblade is clearly a longsword that they just decided to classify as a dagger, the graphic of it is clearly a longsword and also the damage is a 1d8 base and, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the damage base of a longsword, and even enchanted weapons ALMOST always use the same damage base, whereas daggers use 1d4 as you mentioned.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I see, haven't played vanilla BG1 in 20 years.
    So you were playing BG back in 1992 then? Impressive ;)
    I see, haven't played vanilla BG1 in 20 years.
    So you were playing BG back in 1992 then? Impressive ;)
    :) When you're as old as me sonny (37), everything happened 20 years ago haha.
    This whole mages with longswords thing sounds like it should be a modded content, not the base game's materials.
  • William_ImmWilliam_Imm Member Posts: 72
    Also, on a related note, why not make Yeslick be proficient (and gain points into) axes? He's a bloody dwarf, and yet he can't use one ax correctly?
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @smeagolheart haha wow 37, you practically have one foot in the grave man... ;-p
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    This would give Elf and halfling clerics and wizards proficiencies in weapons they can't use, and completely upset the balance at character generation if you allow them to use said weapons. Wizards with 3 profs at level 1? I don't think so.
    Well, upsetting game balance due to being given too many proficiency points is obviously a bad thing. I wish someone with access to the AD&D handbook could tell me what it has to say, I lost mine some time ago. If I recall correctly, though, the handbook said that the racial bonus only gave +1 to attack rolls, would appreciate if @AndreaColombo could confirm this, as I'm fairly certain he has an AD&D Player's Handbook.

Anyway, if the Handbook does have a clear stance on this then I'll retract my previous point in favor of what the rulebook has to say. I guess that's the price you pay for playing a class that can't be proficient in certain weapons, although the OP's suggestion does make more sense from an RP perspective. Given the in-game rules and what I believe is in the handbook, giving Xan what is effectively a longsword and classifying it as a dagger was an interesting decision.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, technically it was classified as a small sword. I think its the Tutu mod that converts the Moonblade to a dagger so Xan can be proficient with it (not that this makes it have any more sense).
    edited June 2012
    I'm not sure what P&P says about the matter in 2e, but in 3e and beyond elves are proficient with longbows and longswords by default, dwarves with battle axes, and...well, actually, everyone is proficient with slings. But halflings get an additional bonus with thrown weapons, which includes slings.

It's also worth noting that, if BG1 is using the BG2 proficiency system, starting with an extra proficiency slot already assigned is still less potent than vanilla BG1, where a single proficiency slot in Large Swords gives you access to long swords, bastard swords, two-handed swords, and scimitars.

In addition, I'm proposing that elves get the slot specifically for long swords, not all swords - which is still less potent than vanilla BG, where elves get their +1 bonus to all swords, regardless of size and shape.

My assumption is that the +1 bonus was granted because it would have been complicated to grant a free proficiency point based on race in the BG1 engine, and for consistency's sake they extended that effect into BG2 despite the existence of two-weapon style-using rangers. I could be mistaken, though; I haven't looked at the P&P rules.

EDIT: I've looked up the rule, and in 2e elves do indeed get the +1 bonus with long and short swords, as well as long bows. Sadly, this means no free proficiency point...
    edited June 2012
    It isn't an engine complication. If it were, then Rangers wouldn't start with Dual Wielding

BUT mages and clerics with swords and bows would be a bit jarring with the rules setup by the game. This is an infinity engine limitation I believe that weapons barred from a class are always barred, regardless of kit or race.
    It was an engine complication in BG1, because rangers didn't start with Two Weapon Style; that was added in BG2, when the TWS capability was added.
    @smeagolheart haha wow 37, you practically have one foot in the grave man... ;-p
    I'm sure I'm not the winner of the oldest guy here, but I can still complain with the best of the grumpy old men :D
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    @jaysl659 - I scavenged my AD&D Player's Handbook and found no mention of racial bonuses to attack rolls, damage rolls and/or proficiency points. I flicked through the Combat & Tactics and Skills & Powers source books too and didn't find anything, but I only gave them a quick look.

Should I find any P&P source for this, I'll report back here with a quote.
    @ Aosaw in comment 6944 above http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/6944/#Comment_6944 said he found it in one of the books.
    edited June 2012
    @AndreaColombo thanks for checking.

I did manage to find my 2nd edition AD&D Player's Handbook, which has this to say:
    When employing a bow of any sort other than a crossbow, or when using a short or long sword, elves gain a bonus of +1 to their attack rolls.
    So, although I do like the idea presented by @Aosaw, I'm going to side in favor of the rulebook, I trust that they knew what they were doing.
    EDIT: I've looked up the rule, and in 2e elves do indeed get the +1 bonus with long and short swords, as well as long bows. Sadly, this means no free proficiency point...
    @Aosaw Just wondering what book you're using for reference that mentioned only longbows getting the +1 specifically?
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Elves are skilled with bows and swords - more specifically, longbows and long swords. This translates to a flat +1 THAC0 with those weapons.

It would be more useful and more visibly interesting, and in the end actually slightly less potent, if instead of a flat bonus to THAC0, they just received a free proficiency point in those weapons. Same thing with Halflings and slings, dwarves and axes, etc.
    I like this idea.
    Can someone confirm this? Last time I played BGT I thought I saw Xan was not proficent with his own moonblade.

Would probably just be simpler for Xan's proficiency to be automatically set to 1 for whatever item classification that weapon uses. So even if it's a short sword internally, or long sword, he can use it.
    Even still, what's the big deal? Not sure why you'd want to send a mage with 7 Con into melee combat. I'd feel safer with a wet paper bag taking the lead!

The Moonblade's utility bonuses with extra Fire Res and 1AC are not used by any other vanilla BG1 weapon anyway. In fact I think it's BG1's only weapon with a boost to any defensive capacity whatsoever.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well, for start those racial bonus are made for normal members of those societies, no? I mean, an elf grow in a society that give preference to long bow and sword, therefore they have more affinity to those weapons. So the drwavens with axes, halflings with slings and etc... etc... etc...

However, main char DID NOT GROW WITH HIS RELATIVES, he/she was raised by gorion, so no matter whitch race you chose every main char has the same origins, as Gorion became stepfather of main char since he/she was a baby.

What i believe is that some classes have more proficience with certain weapons than others, a racial bonus is something you are born or is input on the person by his social culture, however a class bonus is something inherent to training and effort, something a person chose to improve during his/her life.

I would really feel strange if i saw a barbarian dual handing two knifes, or a swashbuckler using a maul (don't even have this in BG, but just for the example). I would say a mage with a two-handed sword too, but then Gandalf and stuff... whatever, just forget it XD!