Skip to content

Android-compatible mods?

Hey guys, I was just wondering a little something about mods:
Are they compatible with the Android version of the game?
If only some of them are, could you guys make me a quick list of your favorite android-compatible mods?
I have access to a computer if it is needed to install the mod.

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I don't have a list for you but it's safe to say that the only mods that'll work on Android are the ones that work by placing one or more files in the override folder. Anything that uses WeiDU is a no-no.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    SCS and item randomiser mods can be installed on ipad or android, with the help of a computer, and some dialog caveats. if it is what you are looking for. You may look at my thread for ipad.
    JuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited May 2015
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/39935/android-game-data-editing-tutorial-hex-style-hacking#latest

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/39855/iwd-ee-android-mods-a-master-list#latest

Basically, anything that modifies the .tlk (kits, npc's, quests, new items, ect.) will give you an headache. However, cosmetic changes (such as custom portraits for npc's, colour modifications for robes and armors, ect.) appear to work just fine on Android.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Sorry for answering late, thank you guys for your help :)
  • WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2015
    Hmm, you could also use a modified tlk on android if you followe these steps from Scott Brooks:

Want to try dropping this beside your Baldur.ini on your iPad(do not extract it, just put the lang.zip there)? If it works then you should see the game text in German.

The steps are a little convoluted, but it's basically as follows
    1: create the directory structure that matches where the game would find dialog.tlk
    2: drop the dialog.tlk in the correct location. In the above zip file file I created lang/en_US, and then copied the german dialog.tlk into it.
    3: When you create the zip, make sure you specify STORE compressions(aka: no compression).
    4: Download http://www.scottbrooks.ca/centralfix.exe and drag/drop your zip on it, or run it from the command line.
    5: Copy that zip file beside your Baldur.ini on your ipad.

Link: http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/633000/#Comment_633000 (I know these are iOS Instructions, but also work on Android... :))

So, make your modifications on your PC, zip your override folder and tlk and use centralfix.exe, then copy it to your Android device and it should work... :)
    lunarJuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Oh...my...god! This is so simple! It works! I tried it and it works without a jailbreak! Every ipad user should know this!

@ScottBrooks you are fantastic, brilliant, even awesome, thank you thank you thank you!

Thanks to @WhiteAgnus for reminding me, as well, this is so cool of you!
    WhiteAgnusJuliusBorisov
  • WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    lunar said:

Every ipad user should know this!

Not only the ipad users, all android and iphone users also... :D

JuliusBorisov
    @WhiteAgnus I thank you a lot, I really do.
    @ScottBrooks , Asgereth said "The genasi was a genius". Are you the genasi?
    JuliusBorisov
  • TrasdTrasd Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2015
    @WhiteAgnus
    or anyone - has this technique been verified to work for android?
    @Trasd I advice you to check the thread below:

[How to] Install mods on Android

If you follow each step of this guide, then you should (theoretically) be able to install all kinds of mods on your android device. I tested this method with IWD:EE and can verify that it works flawlessly.
    JuliusBorisovArunsunTrasd
    edited October 2015
    @Kamigoroshi if it works with IWDEE, it should work with BGEE and BG2EE.

I came up with and tested a different method here, but didn't have any success. That's why I wrote my "hacking" tutorial!

It's good to know it can work! I'll update my posts with this new (for me) information.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Trasd on
    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisov
    I spent an afternoon modding my game a week ago using @Isaya method (the one linked in @kamigoroshi 's post)
    Then I right clicked, clicked properties: I had a 10Go file folder, could not paste on my android phone. That was pretty maddening...
    I tried that again with less mods to have a smaller file folder and it worked (at least dungeon be gone worked)
    edited October 2015
    @Arunsun So, it works, but with some limitations. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking it wasn't the number of mods you tried, but certain incompatible ones.

This gives me a good starting point, though truthfully, with the mods I did get working (the ones that don't need dialog.tlk modifications) and using my game hacking method, I can't think of anything else I need.

But, since this is my first play through for all the games, I might find my needs change when I play again. Of course, by the time I do start over, Beamdog will have another title released - I hope! LOL.

Thanks for letting me know.
    The problem was not mods, I installed mods that are compatible, according to the master list of this forum, but the folder was too big, I did not have enough room on my phone
    @Arunsun Ah, OK, I misunderstood your original post. Thanks for clearing that up for me. So, the only limitation seems to be the size! Wow, that was a big file you came up with the first time around!

So now, the sky's the limit (and space, LOL).
    edited October 2015
    Well I'm rather experienced with the game and played with mods on the original one, thus I knew what I was installing. But I guess that SCS which is the most interesting mod in my opinion is the biggest one. My 2014 laptop had to work on it for like an hour to install all the components I wanted. I remember installing it 10 years ago took me an entire day and half a night.
    I'll just do it again without SCS I guess
    @Arunsun It sounds like you had copied the whole game files thrice over when you created that 10gb mods.zip (!) Depending on the mod, you only need to put the modified .tlk file and/or neccessary folders into this android .zip archive. In my case it wasn't even 2mb in size.
    @Arunsun Somehow, I missed the fanfare of the original releases! I probably had my nose buried in some other RPG. I only started BGEE for the first time about a year ago (if that).

As you have a bit more experience, do you happen to have a favorite "must have" mod list somewhere you like to use (mostly for Android as I don't have the PC versions)? For my second play through (each of the games), I don't mind jazzing them up a bit.

Thank for your help!
    edited October 2015
    Well, I am not aware of all of the recent mods, but here are some of my favourite:
    Valen NPC (though it might feel redundant wuth Hexxat now being available as a vampire thief)
    Solaufein NPC (I have not tested it on EE and I cannot find it in the master list, it is certainly not remade for EE yet)
    Angelo NPC
    The Sellswords
    Back to Brynnlaw
    Unfinished business
    BG2 Tweak pack
    Sword coast Stratagems (it is a difficulty mod, be careful if you are still a beginner)
    Wizard Slayer rebalancing
    Trasd