Skip to content

9 familiars?

I had a pretty cool idea for a build, someone who is 'nonopolar', that is, has 9 distinct personalities, which happen to match the 9 possible alignments in BG, ranging from lawful good to chaotic evil.

Obviously this person starts life as a berzerker, however after some landmark insight (possibly as a result of being tortured by a hugely powerful mage?), they choose to train as a mage themselves. Revenge, and lust for power (and revenge) features strongly here. Revenge is also something of a priority. Possibly also retribution. Also the neutralising of a great evil for the public good. With extra Payback. Also revenge.

Anyway, I rolled up a zerker, using the Valen image, following the pale skin and black hair, then hit on the perfect name - Polar. This ties in with her favorite damage type, which is cold. (Can't waste time looting if there's no loot).

This brings us to another wrinkle, which is that I want to limit inventory, so each familiar has a reserved position in her pack. Also, no containers allowed at all. It goes without saying no familiar pickpocketing exploits to carry stuff.

I was lazy on stats, 21 INT, 18:50 STR, 15 DEX, 12 CON, 9 WIS, 6 CHA.

Finally, the familiars. I summoned the first, saved, and looked at the save in shadowkeeper. Only thing I could see was a global variable TUTFAM01 = 1. No affects, no states. I edited this to xTxUxTxFxAxMx0x1x, and changed the alignment, but still can't summon a second familiar. Thoughts?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'd have thought the global variable was the cause of the problem. You could remove that global variable entirely rather than tweaking it, and maybe use Near Infinity to remove that opcode from the Find Familiar spell.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd have to look into it further. In the meantime this post may be of some help.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/442742/#Comment_442742
    JuliusBorisov
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    One possible workaround would be to create a pseudo familiar kind of summons, though I don't know how to make a summons that will never turn hostile. Give them the wizard eye opcode and they can explore the fog of war, like a familiar or Wizard Eye. If you tweak the critter's class, you could give them thieving abilities and spellcasting. The drop item effect, opcode 264, might be able to get them to relinquish pickpocketed items. Killing them should also work, though this would be quite inconvenient if we replicated the HP and CON drain on familiar death.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Excellent, I'll have a look tonight.

I did play around by killing the familiar, and looking what turned up, as well as the two new affects for CON & HP, there was also a new global, which I duly inserted into my save, but still cannot summon a second.