Skip to content

An Expansion for a game released 16 years ago...

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
edited November 2015 in Off-Topic
Does it sound familiar? And the reality shows such an expansion can be a hit.

Several years Microsoft partnered with a team of rew developers on a high-definition update to Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. That game had been released in 1999.

Age of Empires II: HD Edition was released in 2013 and although it didn't bring new content, it was still a nice thing to have - for an enhanced multiplayer and a compebility with modern PCs.

But it didn't stop there. New developers continued to work on the game, so that the experience of bringing the classics to the modern PCs didn't go to waste.

And yesterday they released an expansion for Age of Empires II: HD Edition, called The African Kingdoms. Among other things it introduces 4 new civilizations (Berbers, Malians, Ethiopians and Portuguese) and 4 new fully voiced campaigns. The expansion also brings the Improved AI, new maps, terrains, generic units and technologies.

It turned out the expansion was the second for the game, after The Forgotten expansion released in 2013 (with 5 new civilizations (Italians, Indians, Slavs, Magyars and Incas) and 7 new campaigns).

It's such a joy, really, to see a new chapter in the life of one of the best RTS ever.

It's amazing that after so many years, this game still gets new content, and that content is a quality one. The reception by the players is generally favourable.

It shows that an expansion for a game which was released nearly a generation ago, which had the 15+ years old graphics but in the same time had a truly magnificent gameplay and replay value, is fully worth it.

And maybe the success of an idea of first "HD-ing"/enhancing an old game and then releasing expansions for it is the reason why Microsoft is working on a new strategy game in a beloved strategy game franchise. Again, it reminds me of a thought about getting a new BG/IWD-inspired game one day.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    Just kind of an FYI. The Forgottens (called the Forgotten Empire) was actually just basically a mod that was made official. Its actually a pretty cool case of modders forming a game company and partnering with the original publisher. http://www.forgottenempires.net
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Don't get me wrong, I think it is great when a trend like this hit on really good games like BG and they "Finally" get additional content (both in the EE form and the SoD form) that we have been crying for, but the trend itself seems to be an offshoot of the whole Hollywood regurgitation issue, which isn't 'Necessarily' a good thing.

A lot of games that come out today are ground through some formula which is 'Scientifically' (Okay, not scientifically, but through marketing analysis) designed to provide the best possible experience for the widest audience. This ends up meaning that the revolutionary ideas of the 80s and 90s for game development have been 'Refined' down to be more generic and more 'Forumlaic'. As a result a lot of the games kind of feel similar or just plain 'The same', and with reason. How many times can you play the same game over again, just with a different splash of paint? (don't answer that anyone that has played BG dozens of times like I have).

So, with more money going into productions and not necessarily commensurate increase in sales, the game developers look for other ideas. New and untested ideas are a way to go, but by virtue of them being UNTESTED, they are a risk. It is by far a safer bet (or so they believe) to go with "Ideas that worked in the past".

Hey, presto. People have been clambering for an update to BG. That still has a solid and vocal following so maybe we can ride that coat tail. More and more game developers are leaning on that because so many older gamers are harkening back to the original games that left the most impression. Movies are doing exactly the same thing. Let's "Reboot" Batman or whatever. That is a guaranteed money maker. And it is.

Again, don't get me wrong. I am tickled pink that BG is getting both an EE AND Adventure Y (and hopefully more to come). I am just saying that the more people jump on the band wagon, you eventually get 'Hillsfar 2' and who wants that?