Skip to content

Do you think SoD might invalidate a lot of mods?

Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72
edited November 2015 in General Modding
Just to be clear; I am super-excited about SoD and I'm so buying it ASAP. But it got me thinking of a lot of the NPC mods for BG2. Though I haven't played them yet personally, I understand that there are mods for BG2 which add Ajantis, Alora, Branwen, Coran, Skie, Kivan, etc. into Baldur's Gate 2. Most of which have very extensive friendship or romance paths, and content throughout SoA-ToB. But what if, say, SoD decides that Kivan/Ajantis/whoever, die as part of the story during SoD? Wouldn't that basically invalidate their BG2 NPC mods?

There's no huge issue or argument trying to be made here by the way. I was just curious if anyone had any input, thoughts, insight, etc. on the subject.

Also, side note: the BG1 NPC Project mod is considered pretty much essential as far as mods go, by me and a lot of other people. I really hope that the majority of its authors will return and maybe add content for SoD. That and even some of the original BG1 NPC mods like Isra. It'd kind of be weird if Isra was talkative throughout BG1 all the way up until the SoD transition, only then to become completely silent with no dialogue whatsoever for the duration lol.

So anyhoo, any thoughts?

EDIT: By the way I have not even played BG2 yet personally (I know! I know! But I'm still working through BG1.) So if my hypothetical example of Ajantis/Kivan dying didn't make any sense because they're already in BG2 vanilla as non-playable NPCs or something, then I apologize for my bad example, But hopefully you get the jist of what I was originally trying to say.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I wouldn't say "invalidating" per say. At least concerning "returning" NPC mods in BG2:EE.

The funny thing about Forgotten Realms is that "death" is not final. In fact, almost every market place and temple sells resurrection items/services. So even if NPC's bite the dust in SoD, one can just "head roleplay" that the corresponding NPC mod for BG2:EE happens because someone decided to raise said character (for whatever reason). Of course, it would be more immersive if the mod author adds an dialogue or two concerning the happenings of SoD. But that's up to the authors, really.

However, chances are that BG:EE/SoD's upcoming GUI design may or may not become incompatible in some ways with currently existing GUI mods. Especially concerning newly added features.

And, while more of a customization factor than modding related, Viconia receives a new portrait in SoD with proper Drow (obsidian) skin colour (in contrast: Viccy now has blue skin, unfitting for her subrace). So this could invalidate the need of costum portraits for Viconia. Well, that's a matter of taste though.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    In a way. For example, the BGT mod adds a prologue between BG1 and BG2, which for a long time was considered to be quite "realistic" in terms of the story. But now SoD will definitely answer the question about an official version behind the events which led to the BG2 start. So this mod part will definitely be "invalidated".

But it is not a sad thing, it's awesome to actually find out the truth.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I think all of us mod-aficionados have mixed feelings, but that's always the problem with fanfiction.
    I am mostly glad tho to see that my favourite game is still alive and breathing, even after all these years :)