Skip to content

First BG:EE run-through: recruit all three new NPCs?

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I'm trying to decide if on the first run through the game I will try adding all three of the new NPCs: Rasaad, Dorn, and Neera. I was going to ask others' thoughts about that so I figured why not make it a poll.

If you're adding just one of two of the new NPCs, which one(s)? Any particular reason? Please share. Please elaborate on party composition as well, by all means. Thanks.
  1. First BG:EE run-through: recruit all three new NPCs?121 votes
    1. I plan to add all three new NPCs in my first game.
      37.19%
    2. I plan to add two of the new NPCs.
      26.45%
    3. I plan to add just one of the new NPCs.
      24.79%
    4. I won't be adding any of the new NPCs for my first run. Just the existing NPCs,
        1.65%
    5. I'll be soloing.
        2.48%
    6. I won't be adding any NPCs new or old, I'll be creating a custom party via MP mode
        0.00%
    7. Other: explain
        7.44%
Post edited by Lemernis on

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I have very limited time to play the game, and I want to make sure I check them all out. That way I'll see all the interactions between old and new NPCs in one go (well, perhaps not all, as my PC will definitely be leader and he will have relatively high Cha.) Much as I would like to savor by spreading them out into different games. I just don't think I'll have the time.

To use them all in one game the first time is lot of new content to explore, what with their quests, Neera's 'pre-romance', and the Black Pits. It might be a bit challenging party composition-wise, but I like challenges like that anyway.
    edited September 2012
    I added to the poll decription please share which one(s) if just one or two of them.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    First game will be Evil, and will have Dorn.
    Second game will be Neutral or Good and will have Rasaad and Neera.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I will add the new NPCs if they fit with my plan. Currently I've got:

Me: Fighter
    Viconia: Cleric
    Minsc: Backup
    Shar-Teel: Backup
    Montaron: Thief/Backup
    Edwin: Mage

This may change.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'll definitely try everyone out to see what they are like. But how long I keep them will depend on how much fun they are. My party tends to change a lot during each game and I'll use most of the characters for at least part of the time.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Because I'll be using an Evil party, Dorn's really the only new NPC I'll definitely be recruiting, though if Neera's Neutral I might pick her up too.
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    Iam definately playing the game with all new NPCs in my party. But there will be two slots left for party members. Can't decide who I should add with them, hmm..
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    I'll try to make a cleric/thief halforc.

That way the 3 new npc's will fit nicely
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I'm not planning on playing with them all in the party at once. Not on the first playthrough, I want to get multiple playthroughs with the new content. Probably adding one new NPC at a time, maybe two. Though I might try a game with them all in the party to see how they all react to one another.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2012
    I will most likely add two of the NPCs. I'm not really interested in the Wild mage, but the other two look really quite interesting. Not sure how i'll fit them in anyway but group composition is not the most important for me. As long as it works, and I get by. Will definitely have Edwin, Minsc (and a possible replacement solution for when the relationship between Minsc and Edwin blows up) and Viconia however.
  • sanfe75sanfe75 Member Posts: 7
    I would try all 3 NPCs, but I'll be a monk so I'm going to kill Rasaad to show him who rules (me, not Tiax!)
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    I will at least try all the 3 in the same game the first chance I get, but if they disappoint me somehow I will of course boot them (more or less violently). Haven't really decided what class I'll play, probably blackguard though.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    Aside from my multiplayer game I'll be playing with my friends, I intend to go through with a good game first. Being good, I should be able to get both the wild mage and the monk. Then I'll go through again as an evil female and romance the blackguard. By that point if I don't feel BGed out, I'll go though and romance the NPC I didn't romance in the first playthrough.

It may seem a little odd to say this but there better be some special dialogue (amusing dialogue) should one of Neera's wild surges change either CharName's or her gender. What? You don't think there shouldn't be a funny stint of conversation here?
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    I'll try Rasaad first, in a good allignment party, then I'll make an evil party to try out Dorn and maybe Neera (I don't like wild mages very much, but I'll try her anyway because I don't want to miss any of the new contents)
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    I was going to take all of them, but Dorn might be just too much evil for me to handle. Although I´m mostly guessing at this point, I can´t be sure until the game launches and I actually try him out.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I wont get more than one, I like alignment based parties.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    I'll most likely pick up Rasaad and Neera in my fist play-through along with Kivan, Coran and Xan (PC -> LN half-elven kitted cleric of Helm).
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    PC evil assasin, Dorn, Viconia, Edvin first play through.
    PC neutral blade/skald, Neera, Branwen, Jaheira, Safana second play through.
    PC good blade/skald, Rasaad, Yeslick, imoen third play through.

Order might change and but parties might change from some parts but new guys stay.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    I will have to see how things play out, it's been so long since I've played BG 1 or 2 that I don't remember much in the way of details.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I won't be evil, so I'm not going to take Dorn along, but I'll definitely be taking Neera and Rasaad along.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    My first party will consist of CHARNAME, Imoen, Khalid, Minsc, Yeslick, and Neera. I wanted to experience my classic party plus Neera for my first play through.
    Of course later I'll go through and probably get Neera and Rasaad.
    And more later I'll create an Evil game, which of course will have Dorn.
  • DelinomDelinom Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2012
    Probably Dorn and Neera. I have this feeling Rasaad will suck as a Monk in BG1 unless he comes with very solid special gear or abilities. I'll end up recruiting him just to get an overall feeling.
    Ken said:

I'll try to make a cleric/thief halforc.

That way the 3 new npc's will fit nicely

Half-orc cleric-thief rocks. DesiSmileys.com
    Alejandro said:

I was going to take all of them, but Dorn might be just too much evil for me to handle. Although I´m mostly guessing at this point, I can´t be sure until the game launches and I actually try him out.

I'm adding Dorn in a mixed alignment party with a TN leader to see what will happen. If he leaves, he leaves. It'll be interesting to see if he goes after Rasaad.
  • sharpiejassharpiejas Member Posts: 35
    I want to try them all!
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    I`l do an Evil run so i`m going to give Dorn a try.
  • KelesKeles Member Posts: 31
    since I tend to run neutral good...I'll go with Rasaad and Neera the first run for sure. After that I will include Dorn at some point just to see the reactions between the party members with him lurking about. ~
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Ok, technically, I plan to add only 1.
    However...

My first playthrough will have a good protagonist, and I will recruit whichever is the good character between Rasaad and Neera (and I will romance him/her). Party composition will include Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Keldorn, Mazzy and Sarevok (converted to good). The remaining slots will be shared among the remaining good NPCs from both games (swapping them around whenever I feel like).

Similarly, my second playthrough will have a neutral protagonist, and I will recruit whichever is neutral between Rasaad and Neera. Party compostion will include Jaehira, Khalid, Jan, Hear'Dalis and Viconia (romanced and converted to neutral). The remaining slots will be shared among the remaining neutral NPCs from both games (swapping them around).

And finally, my third playthrough will have an evil protagonist, and I will recruit Dorn (and I will romance him). Party composition will include Edwin, Viconia, Korgan and Sarevok. The remaining slots will be shared among the remaining evil NPCs from both games (swapping them around). However, in BG2 there's scarcity of evil NPCs. So I guess I will just take some neutrals with me (unless they make one or two new evil characters in BG2:EE).
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    I plan on grabbing all 3 and watching the sparks fly. At the AMA I asked specifically if we would be able to keep all 3 without them leaving the party at some point to fight their differences out and they said it was possible so I'm going to try and build my party around that.

@Ken I'm (almost) with you on this one :D Cleric/Thieves are awesome but gnomes are better/kinkier romance material than orcs :P
    NG PC gnome (Cleric/Thief)
    ?E Dorn (Blackguard)
    ?G/N Neera (Wild Mage)
    ?G/N Rasaad (Monk)
    CN Garrick (Bard) / CE Xzar (Necromancer) / LG Dynaheir (Invoker)
    Someone whose arcane spells will actually do what they're supposed to :P and one empty spot left for when I see the personalities of the 3 new chars and who they might clash with >:D. I guess it's going to be pretty balanced alignment and class-wise ... or rather, all over the place :D Monty or Minsc will meet very unfortunate deaths... for the greater good. :(

Barring the addition of any new NPCs aside from these 3 in BG2 the run will be continued (when BG2:EE comes out) with
    PC/Dorn/Neera/Rasaad/Mazzy/Jan
    So a human, a half-orc and a half-elf walk into a bar; the 2 gnomes and a halfling walk under it. (I know I know ancient joke :P)
    If I end up disliking any of the new NPCs (which is very possible since they will most likely have widely varying personalities)
    PC/1-2NewNPCs/Mazzy/Jan/Haer'Dalis OR Keldorn
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    All of them because they probably have banters with each other, and I'm really curious to see what they're all like.