Skip to content

Supplement to Claw of Kasgaroth

Curious what others have done to enhance their save vs death while using the claw.
As a DD, my saves are not too shabby but would appreciate incite to make them better.
Ta.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I normally just give it to a priest. It balances out with their naturally higher Save vs Death. Cernd and Faldorn are a good choice for it (for instance).
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The best enhancement is to be a high-CON Halfling or Dwarf, to get the "shorty bonuses" to saves including Save vs. Death. (Gnomes get a shorty bonus too, except unfortunately not the Save vs. Death bonus.)

Also, the Cloak of Displacement has many useful bonuses including Save vs. Death, so my Claw-wearing characters often wear the Cloak as well. Otherwise, in BG1, I just equip some items (rings, amulets, etc.) which give across-the-board +Saves.

In BG2, there are numerous items which give either a bonus Save vs. Death or an immunity to some effects (e.g. Poison, Paralysis) which are included in Save vs. Death (because you don't care if your Save vs. Death fails against such an attack, if you're already immune to it.)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Also, don't forget the Death Ward spell - literally a lifesaver for a character with a penalty to saves vs Death when facing a mage (with the SCS in BG1, with or without the SCS in BG2).
  • In BGEE, I generally supplement it by having the wearer stay out of melee with ghouls and spiders, as those are the main source of saves vs. death.

As Gallowglass points out, in BG2 you have many options for countering the penalty should you choose to import the Claw, and the enemies that have on-hit save vs. death effects are easier to dispatch quickly in order to lessen the chance of exposure.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Sharguild said:

Curious what others have done to enhance their save vs death while using the claw.
    As a DD, my saves are not too shabby but would appreciate incite to make them better.
    Ta.

Depends on who I choose to have accompany me, neutral aligned parties have interesting options for items such as this. You can make Neera pretty darn magic immune with her special belt, the Claw, a Cloak of Displacement, a +2 Ring of Protection, and Robes of the Neutral Arch-Magi. Her missile weapon defense also skyrockets with the Cloak of Displacement and the Boots of Cat's Grace. Which is good, because with those items in place, one poison arrow and she is a goner. I like to give her a wide birth when she's casting and not having to worry about ill-effects makes her even more fun to have around!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the claw goes great with a cavalier that is using spider bane ( since cavalier's by default are immune to poison) and spider bane makes you immune to paralys which are basically the only 2 reason why you need a good save for save vs death, but normally I will always give it to my main character or front line leader, and I will give them a helm of defence and a ring of protection +1 and then top it off with the cloak of displacement and then the penalty disappears, but when I reach bg the city, I will switch up the cloak of disp. for the cloak of balduran