Skip to content

Are we still able to pickpocket Drizzt?

As the title says - are we still able to pickpocket Drizzt for his weapons/armour? I've been trying with 290 pickpocket skill (quite a few potions of master thievery used) and it's telling me there's nothing stealable at my pickpocket level. I'm assuming the game has been patched to disallow it?

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    AFAIK, no. You cannot pickpocket worn armor or equipped weapons, and Drizzt now wields Twinkle and Icingdeath. In the original game, the swords were just in his inventory IIRC.
  • Ah, thanks AstroBryGuy. Guess I'll have to kill him.
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2015
    I tried that with my evil party.

To say it didn't go well would be an understatement.

Also, as far as I can tell, that "Nothing to steal at your skill level" only shows up for me when they just have nothing to steal. Otherwise, the pick pocketing just fails and the victim turns hostile.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited December 2015
    Nah, a failure can always happen, no matter whether there's something to steal or not.
    In case of success though, and when there is no item you can steal with your pickpocket skill it shows you this message. If there is an item which you can steal, of course, you just pick it up.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I don't know if they have fixed it in BG:EE/BG2:EE, but in the original game once you went past 250 in a skill, it went back to 0 and started from there.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    SionIV said:

I don't know if they have fixed it in BG:EE/BG2:EE, but in the original game once you went past 250 in a skill, it went back to 0 and started from there.

That is fixed.
    elminster said:

SionIV said:

That is fixed.
    Glad to hear. :smiley:
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I was just wondering wat happens is you kill Drizztbin one game then move his equipment into a new game with different character or save that original character and starft a new game with Drizzt stuff
    Will Drizzt go hostil when he see you
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

I tried that with my evil party.

To say it didn't go well would be an understatement.

Well, Drizzt is certainly a darn good warrior, but he can be killed. You probably have to be prepared to adopt somewhat cheesy tactics, though ... it's very difficult to beat him with BG1-level characters in any straightforward toe-to-toe way.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The irony of fighting Drizzt is that evil characters can't really use his gear and good ones have little reason to try.
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    CaptRory said:

The irony of fighting Drizzt is that evil characters can't really use his gear and good ones have little reason to try.

Can't you use everything but Twinkle?

CaptRory said:

Yes. Twinkle is Good-only, but Icingdeath and the Mithral Chain are not alignment-restricted.

I haven't found the Mithral Chain very useful. If you have a Bard who is both willing to murder Drizzt and not expecting to cast spells in mid-combat (e.g. an Evil-aligned Blade), then the Mithral Chain is ideal ... but most classes either can't wear Chain at all, or are better off wearing something heavier.

Icingdeath is more widely useful, though. Evil or Evil/Neutral parties might well kill Drizzt for that alone, if they have anyone who can use Scimitars.

The ironic point, I reckon, is that it's difficult to envision a specific situation where the party could make full use of Drizzt's gear, e.g. dual-wielding his Scimitars, since only the Good guys can wield Twinkle but the Good guys wouldn't murder him to get it.
    edited December 2015
    Drizzt isn't that hard to beat without cheese. If you're playing a warrior, all you need to do is drink a ton of potions (I don't consider this cheesing).

Potions :

Storm Giant Strength
    Defensive
    Heroism
    Power
    Mind Focus
    Regeneration
    Oil of Speed

Cast DuHM (Draw Upon Holy Might), and then keep a couple of healing potions handy.

Equip :

Full Plate
    Helm of Balduran
    Ring of Protection +2
    Cloak of Balduran

And fill in the rest of your equipment depending on what type of character you're playing.

You'll have 25 STR, 24 DEX, 21 CON, awesome AC, more HP, better Thac0 and damage than Drizzt.

Potions make the game very easy, especially for fighter type characters. It's also possible to kill him earlier, before getting all of these items, but with this setup you can go face to face with him.
    Fair enough, @SionIV, you can do that ... but obviously you'd need some meta-gaming in order to have all of that available first, carefully avoiding Drizzt until you go back for him near to the end of BG1, rather than meeting him earlier in the "natural course of events".
    edited December 2015

Fair enough, @SionIV, you can do that ... but obviously you'd need some meta-gaming in order to have all of that available first, carefully avoiding Drizzt until you go back for him near to the end of BG1, rather than meeting him earlier in the "natural course of events".

Well, if you're going without meta-gaming knowledge, you won't be able to beat him in the 'natural course of events' . Just like you won't be able to beat any of the liches or vampires (unless you're undead hunter) in BG2.
    SionIV said:

Well, if you're going without meta-gaming knowledge, you won't be able to beat him in the 'natural course of events'.

Well, I did stress that it'd be very difficult without cheese, and maybe it is indeed unfeasible ... so I'm not really disagreeing with you.
    edited December 2015

SionIV said:

Well, if you're going without meta-gaming knowledge, you won't be able to beat him in the 'natural course of events'.

Well, I did stress that it'd be very difficult without cheese, and maybe it is indeed unfeasible ... so I'm not really disagreeing with you.
    I apologize if i came forward as rude. The whole Meta-Gaming knowledge thing, makes me slightly annoyed. I find it admirable that people want to play in a way where they don't know every single outcome, but if that is the case, then every new enemy will cause you a massive amount of trouble, and you have to leave most of them alone, or come back later.

If you don't want to meta-game, then you'll have to fight the vampires in Baldur's Gate 2, and die, because you won't be able to kill them. You most likely don't have the Amulet of power yet, and they will destroy your party with level drain, because you don't know how to fight them. Same with Mind Flayers, Beholders, Liches, Shadows (Hold).

Baldur's Gate is a game where you either die a lot, or use knowledge you already have. And everyone will use their knowledge. Every time you enter an area, every time you make a choice, you might think that you're not, but you are. You won't see a person who have experience with the game, going into a fight they can't possible win, just to reload several times and then eventually give up. They know the enemy is there, and won't go there. How many people that know the game, will go to the Basilisk Map without any form of protection from petrification? Just by making the choice not to go there, you're using your knowledge of the game.

People won't pre-buff before a hard fight, because their characters wouldn't know that they had to fight. This makes the game more challenging, but you still KNOW that the group is there, and you still know not to go there at an early level.

"I won't pre-buff before fighting the amazons outside the mine, My character don't know that they are there". But you still won't attack them without having your spells ready, or while most of your team are low on health. No one that knows the game, will go into a situation where they are sure to die.

Anyway, that's my rant on the whole 'meta-game knowledge'.

/End Rant.
    /End Derailing topic.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Well, it's quite easy to trap him. You can do it as soon as you leave Candlekeep. 7 or 8 traps would be necessary though.
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243

CaptRory said:

Yes. Twinkle is Good-only, but Icingdeath and the Mithral Chain are not alignment-restricted.

I haven't found the Mithral Chain very useful. If you have a Bard who is both willing to murder Drizzt and not expecting to cast spells in mid-combat (e.g. an Evil-aligned Blade), then the Mithral Chain is ideal ... but most classes either can't wear Chain at all, or are better off wearing something heavier.

Icingdeath is more widely useful, though. Evil or Evil/Neutral parties might well kill Drizzt for that alone, if they have anyone who can use Scimitars.

The ironic point, I reckon, is that it's difficult to envision a specific situation where the party could make full use of Drizzt's gear, e.g. dual-wielding his Scimitars, since only the Good guys can wield Twinkle but the Good guys wouldn't murder him to get it.
    An evil dual wielding barbarian(no twinkle though, still worth gold) ;) Or a lawful good anything with low wisdom and intellect, drow are after all considered evil.
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2015

AFAIK, no. You cannot pickpocket worn armor or equipped weapons, and Drizzt now wields Twinkle and Icingdeath. In the original game, the swords were just in his inventory IIRC.

He is not keeping them in his weapons slots, otherwise he would attack Gnolls that are knocked down, but instead he just ignores them.
    Post edited by RobertMcDuck on
  • Is it really true that you can't pickpocket them? I'm certain I did that in my playthrough a year ago or something. The reason I remember it so well is that his friends showed up (in BG2) and wanted revenge/his stuff back and I had never had that happen before. And I know I didn't kill him.
    edited December 2015

Is it really true that you can't pickpocket them? I'm certain I did that in my playthrough a year ago or something. The reason I remember it so well is that his friends showed up (in BG2) and wanted revenge/his stuff back and I had never had that happen before. And I know I didn't kill him.

It was changed in the v1.3 patch, which came out at the end of August 2014 (i.e. just over a year ago).

You must have picked his pocket in v1.2 (when it was still possible to do so), but now it isn't possible.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

CaptRory said:

Chaotic good fighter/thief or ranger who duals scimitars
    Sees a drow and assumes he is evil (a fair assumption)
    Refuses to help gets attacked
    Gets the two best weapons in the game and great armor that allows him to use stealth

Sure, it's specific, but it can work.

Or get minsc or kivan at lvl 1. Give him points in scimitars at lvls 3 and 6. Do the above.