Skip to content

NPC's that are holding together idea

2»

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    NPC Request: Make Keldorn only join the party when we have >12(?) reputation.
    I mean that PC should be quite recognized and famous already in order such guy as Keldorn to join him.
    Don't think that a hight reputation is a need, but surely a disliked party shoud not be able to get keldorn.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    I finally got tired of tricking Khalid and Dynaheir out of the party and installed a mod that allow to dialogue them into waiting at the Friendly Arms Inn. Keeping Jaheira and Minsc was a good choice, as proven by the beginning of SoA.
    I just wouldn't want EE to force me not to be able anymore to play the game with my favourite party anymore (Jaheira, Minsc, Viconia, Kivan, Coran).
    So please, leave it be as it is.
    @thrilled you understand that you're asking for bugs and anomalies to be hold in the BG:EE, no?
  • TheudipaldTheudipald Member Posts: 30
    don't order minsc to kill dynaheir. don't order jaheria to kill khalid. crisis in roleplaying averted.
    It needed to be said and it needs to be repeated as long as this thread lives.

• nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
    don't order minsc to kill dynaheir. don't order jaheria to kill khalid. crisis in roleplaying averted.
    This just turns a crisis of roleplaying into a crisis of player freedom. I'm all for roleplaying, but if I don't want Dynaheir in my party, but I want Minsc in my party, I want to have a way to do that.

If killing Dynaheir is out of the question, and people are adamant about Minsc "leaving with her body" or some such solution, what about a time period wherein Minsc is grieving at a temple? Give the player a window of 3-4 days where Minsc leaves with the body, asking not to be disturbed while he grieves? Then, after this time is up, the player gets notification via messenger (or not, it could just be a timer) that Minsc wanted to speak about being in the party again.

The same type of mechanic could be applied to Jaheira/Khalid and Xzar/Montaron.

The bottom line is (in my mind) there should be a contingency in place for the death of a party member (by my hand or by a monster's) that doesn't force the player to lose a different NPC.
    Dunno man, As said before it's a package, you get it full or you don't get, we can't mistake freedom for selfish, and this is a common mistake here, as you has freedom to chose, the game simulate the free will of the NPCs also, and there, Minsc, Dynaheir and all the other linked pair of NPCs has the chose to not stay in your party alone.

It's a limit inside the game not made to punish the players but to preserve the NPCs biography. It's funny as the main argument here, the freedom for roleplay is bended so people would be able to satisfy their will by destroing it, after all, the frist base for roleplay comes from character's biography.

Background is the reason for each joinable NPC accept to be in the party, something in their history that compels them to adventure with main char, otherwise we would be able to invite any NPC fo the game to the party.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @nulspace The same mechanic would "not" apply to Xzar and Montaron since they don't fully like eachother anyways.
  • nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
    @GemHound - Good point!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @nulspace if dynaheir dies minsc goes berserk right? If khalid dies Jaheria says how he won't hear the end of it. So there is *something* that happens. They get over it pretty quick though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    How would you treat the Minsc - aerie/nalia witch relationship? It is the closest thing I can think of in BG2 where NPC's are that close to each other (well, except for Haer'dalis - aerie relationship)."
    edited June 2012
    @Elminster, i never knew that minsc could catch nalia as a witch, maybe i make a try on the future on this, but are you sure? Cos i played this game with mins/nalia, minsc/aerie and minsc/nalia/aerie tons of times, he never asked nalia to be his witch.
  • ZaccaroZaccaro Member Posts: 39
    @kamuizin Yes, it's possible. I'ce maybe once gotten it to start. Nalia was never really my favorite.